Marching Forward

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Marching Forward

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 pm

WTG, LadyM on some of those want-tos.

I think I'm a little giddy about finally talking to this long lost cousin and actually taking a DNA test to him and meeting him. A Y dna test (father to son, to son, to son) very well might solve the issue of Great-grand father's paternal side, since I already have DNA matches that I suspect might match up. I built on my momentum to look for a long lost second cousin - our parents were first cousins and I fondly remember my daddy talking about her mother. This lady contacted me several years ago - during tax season no less - wanting to share info and sadly I never got back together with her. Her Ancestry account says she signed in last week. I've wondered if she had pass away, she was born 1935.

I did finally do the errand round. Vet for dog food, drugstore, grocery and gassed up the car. Didn't do goodwill drop off again. :roll:

I need to be ready to leave around 7 in the morning. I'm planning to pack some snacks and lunch because there's not much around there, and I hate to lose time once I'm there with all those records. :D

-hang up laundry in washer, start another load
-write ck and note for dcleaning lady
-finish putting away groceries from earlier (whoops. :oops: )
-make a list for the morning
-finish clean up in MBR
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Quiet evening here in the village....

-reboot laundry
-clear kitchen counters for tomorrow
-set up coffee for a.m.
-start dishwasher
-what else?

I need to be up around 6 tomorrow a.m. to leave here before seven. That should get me to the library in the 8 to 8:30 range, I hope.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Twins - BWTG!

I thought about Twins last night in church. Our pastor shared that his nephew had recently began researching the family tree and had made his DNA public. The nephew had a person contact him about their DNA matching (somehow, I don't understand the process) and turns out our pastor's father had apparently fathered a son. I was tending kids so didn't hear the whole story, but I think I heard the mother was Korean so maybe it was when the father was stationed in Korea 40+ years ago. They are making plans to meet each other.

I have met my sleep goal every day for the past 9 days. I have met my step goal for the past 6 days. I hope I can continue both of these trends.

I am a bit excited that a desire of mine might come true. Maybe. I contacted a lifelong friend that I went to school with and told her what my desire was and asked if she could give me some suggestion and/or guidance. This friend is an RN and has worked in NICU for years. I really thought it was going to be a dead-end and didn't expect anything to come of it. I was shocked when she gave me the name of the person in charge of the NICU program to contact and DFriend said they didn't have anybody volunteering to do it but it was something they needed. **GULP** Suddenly my dream became a possibility. Who knows where it will lead but at least I have a direction to pursue this possibility. I am hesitating to tell anyone what this desire/dream is because I don't want to hear the reasons I shouldn't do it. I know the reasons I shouldn't do it are many. The #1 reason I shouldn't do it is I am already over scheduled. The #2 reason is my heart WILL be broken....over and over. I don't care. I am still going to pursue doing it. Whispering.......My heart's desire is.......I want to volunteer to cuddle babies in the NICU that have no one visiting them. DFriend said most of the babies in need of cuddling are premies going through drug withdraws. I don't know anyone who does this which probably means it is a crazy thing to do. But if I get the chance I'm going to do it.

We are 90% sure that we will be separating from public school at the end of this school year (May). That will free up a 4 hour volunteer time slot that I have been doing at public school each week. That timeslot could be the beginning of finding time to allow me to follow my heart desire to volunteer at NICU.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 pm

LadyM, yes it happened in Korea and Vietnam that U.S. servicemen fathered children that are now searching successfully for their birth father. Good for you for following your heart to cuddle preemie babies. You manage your time well, and with ds getting older and more self-sufficient this is something you can add in. And it's good to model helping others for ds and dgd too.

I'm getting into bed to read and wind down. I'll need to be up early tomorrow a.m.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm

LadyM, as soon as I read NICU and volunteer desire, I thought of this possibility. I don't think you are crazy. Although I don't know of anyone who does it personally, I have read about it, and read that it is a good thing.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 pm

It's 9:30 and I can't believe I'm still up. I even did some work around the house. I hate going to bed when dh and dd are at a hockey game. Though the game is probably over about now, it's nearly 10 before they leave the arena and it's well over an hour drive home from Orlando. If I go to sleep, then I wake up when they come in and I can't get back to sleep. So here I am.

DBailey just scared me though. She started barking up a storm. I'm almost afraid to look outside, but did. Didn't see anything or anyone. Dh had said they were expecting dd's old co-teacher from the school here to bring by some electronics they were missing for the track things she had leant them. Evidently the electronics aren't working for the track. Hope they get it figured out by morning. They're making a really big deal of these C02 car races tomorrow.

Guess I'll make sure I've got everything for dh for the morning. He's going to be one tired boy tomorrow night. Won't be home till 11 or after and they leave here tomorrow morning by 5:30am. Had me set the alarm for 5 so he can take a shower first. Think I have his clothes all out and his meds ready.

Editing to say, obviously dd and dh will not be home to well after 11. Game went into overtime (Orlando won) and it was nearly 10 before the game was over. By the time dd gets stats done and they get to the garage, it will be well after 10 and then at least another hour home. ;)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Harriet: I like having enough money that we can choose what to have for dinner. I don't like having so much money that, for my health, I have to tell dh we can't eat out many times a week when that is what he wants and has worked hard to earn the assets to do. That's very hard and an example of money creating issues.

I also don't like people thinking I'm cheap because I don't spoil my grandson by buying him things all the time. After all, I can afford it.

I can count on my hands the items I've bought him. The kid doesn't need anything, he has a ton of toys so I don't buy him things just because. If I see a need, like the wagon, I'll get it. But at this point, not counting the car seat and stroller I bought dd before he was born, I've purchased 10 items for him with all but one being under $20. I prefer to spend hours playing with him or reading to him instead. Since I live nearby and don't have to work a payroll job, I'm available to babysit when needed. And not have to think about the gas being used to drive back and forth or to pay for parking at the clinic.

The last day for appointments at the clinic is Saturday. Then we'll have a break for about 20+ days. And I'm looking forward to that break! If this doesn't work, I might recommend they skip a month since I'll be so busy at the end of this month and into next month and won't be able to babysit or drive as much.

I'm off to bed now. We had a late dinner because I was missing an ingredient for my planned quick and easy dinner so made up a new recipe for us. I used a potato stuffing I created from my head in the stuffed rolled pork dinner. Dh asked I put this recipe into rotation. I don't think so, I'm guessing it was 800 calories for my dinner (and I still have leftovers to have for tomorrow night.) I didn't weigh the meat so don't know exactly how much I had (to do so would have meant scraping the stuffing off the meat, which is easy to do when it is a dry bread stuffing but not so much with the mashed potato stuffing.) I estimated as best as I could and then enjoyed the dinner.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 pm

LadyM, I think it is a wonderful idea to cuddle NICU babies. From our experience when dgd21 had babyK 7+ weeks early, last August, we seen the need. If people live 3-4 hours from the hospital, not everyone can afford to stay in a big city with the cost of food and hotels, etc., so they go home and come back when they can. That leaves the baby without a daily dose of family bonding. Also, there were local people with a baby in the NICU but because of having other children and the husband working, visiting time was limited. Then of course, the premies going through drug withdraws. The need for baby cuddlers was apparent. Dgd21 would get up and get around every morning. Then dh would drop her off at the hospital. After him and I were showered we would go to the hospital. We would take her out for lunch and supper. She would spend all afternoon with the baby and then again after we ate. She spent every minute possible with him and was pumping breast milk at the hospital and at the Airbnb we were staying at. I have always felt that the only way she got to take a less than 4 lb. premie home, was because they could see her loving devotion to that baby. She asked every question she could think of and soaked up everything they told her or that she read. Her and that little guy are so bonded. She can do the silliest things and he just laughs but someone else can do the same thing and he doesn't think they are near as funny. She never played with dolls and she did very little to help her dm with her 2 brothers and 2 sisters, so I figured she would wait until she was 30 if she ever had a baby. We are so proud of what a loving mother she is. She is taking her last college class before nursing school. She has applied for next fall. I keep wondering if she will be able to tear herself away from that baby to attend classes.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 am

d twins awesome!

good night all!

dd younger's photo was on our local weather program. My d bil wrote her that she was mentioned along with her photo on the evening news.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 am

LadyM, I think that is a wonderful thing to do! I think I could enjoy cuddling with NICU babies, myself. (If I didn't have so many other people wanting me all the time...)

So nice to hear Lilac's story about Baby Karson and his dmom... Let's you and I pray together that your dgd and my ddil BOTH get into nursing school this fall!

I have NOT been marching forward At All today. :cry:
In fact, this is the end of two complete weeks in which I have not even let the weekly or focus tasks cross my mind, much less cross my hands to DO them.
This is the end of two complete weeks in whichI have really not even thought about the daily tasks, except for those that were absolutely necessary. Apparently, one can go many days without s/s baths.
And this is the end of two complete weeks, or more, in which I have been sporadic at best, concerning exercise... and in which I have exhibited complete insanity with my eating.
I have not even been diligent w/Bible reading the last couple days.
I keep saying I have got to get myself together... but then LIFE gets in the way.

Today -- up before 7:00, took dgs to school... home... breakfast...
started to s2s... dgs awakes... fed her... s2s... helped dh w/internet problem. Again...
talked w/ds re: ddil's surgery (tubal ligation) (She is doing well, btw.)
post office
bank
oil change
home... tried to get dgd to nap... talked to dmom on phone... wrapped dmom's bday present...
fed dgd lunch... called drug store for dmom...
picked up dgs at school... went to drug store for dmom...
picked up ds at his house...
back home to get dh... went to dmom's to deliver bday present... wrote checks for two bills for her...
home... supper... s/s kitchen... took dgrands home...
* whew *
took a breath... got lost in the internet. Talked to dcousin online for awhile. (DGM's first cousin, who had a nephew to pass away yesterday. I had never met the nephew, and his parents are both deceased, but he is younger than me so, sad situation. Enjoyed talking w/dcousin, though, who offered, not for the first time, to help out if she possibly could whenever I might get in a tight situation w/dmom. She's such a sweet person. I am really blessed with some wonderful relatives, in spite of all the craziness in our family. ;) )

Blessed, dh here spends his days much the same as your dh. Only instead of cars, his time is filled with ballgames. And I know a lot of the time he doesn't feel well... and I also know I am sooo incredibly thankful that he is NOT a workaholic like my ddad who always made the rest of us look and feel guilty for sitting down for five minutes... but yes. It is very hard to keep one's motivation and energy up when others in the household are doing nothing.

Money. I don't think money really buys happiness, b/c we all know of stories of incredibly wealthy people who were also incredibly miserable. And lottery winners whose lives were totally ruined soon after their winnings.
OTOH, if one has no shoes, no food, no home, and no way to get to a job... well, yes, money could create an awful lot of happiness in that case.
Personally, I am very thankful that our house is paid for and our new car will be IF IT EVER COMES IN... :evil: They "promised" 4-6 weeks and it has been 8 weeks today.
Still... I would certainly enjoy it if we could pay for the car and NOT have to watch every penny for the next 18 months or so, until a CD matures. I would love to be able to have our house painted and our carpet ripped up and hardwood (or even fake hardwood) put down and our shrubbery professionally trimmed and be able to hire a more reliable yard man... and be able to help ds & ddil make some needed improvements on their house, which sometimes I fear is just an albatross we have hung around their necks. And I would love to be able to take a week-long trip to Disney World with ds & family and see the dgrands enjoy that.
BUT... would I truly be happier if all that were done? ONLY if we were all healthy, including dmom, and only if dgrands were safe and happy, and only if ds's career was advancing well and ddil were accepted into nursing school, and I had plenty of time for my extended family as well as ds & his family, dh, and dmom... so truly, IMHO, life is easier with money, no doubt about that, but the things that really bring happiness are usually the things that money can't buy.

Hope Mr. Dee has a great trip! Maybe he can get some rest on the flight.

Twins -- I had just thought today -- I wonder if DNA testing will ever show any evidence of our suspicions re: dgm's father. Since dbro has been tested, maybe someone in the family we suspect will someday show up in our tree? Hmmm... Talking about money. That would be interesting... b/c they probably have a bit more than we do... or maybe they've lost it all in poor investments... interesting.

Saw something tonight about "following your passion." "What do you do when you're off work and have time to do what YOU really want to do?"
* sigh * My answer is sad: Sleep and eat.
I need to get a life. :roll:

At any rate, I am sooo looking forward to our trip to College Town. I am still threatening to stay there and never return. I wonder how long dh would hang around & look for me, if I stole his key to the condo and hid out when it was time to go. There is a Domino's pizza within walking distance, and I might could ride the bus to Wmart when I needed toilet paper & soap.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”