Monday's Minds

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: Monday's Minds

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Harmony... I totally get what you are saying but I had to pay to keep my job. Each year teachers, at least in this state and most others, are required to be recertified with 180 hours of additional training, sometimes at the teachers expense. I have not only a BS but also a masters degree. The star requires us to jump through all sorts of additional training through out the school year while I normally worked a 50 plus hour week.

I am responsible for educating the future people of our country ... drs, lawyers anyone you come in contact with during your day and I took that responsibility seriously. In my state the public has voted many times to raise taxes to increase the teachers salaries.... however unfortunately my state government seldom does what the people of the star voted for.

That is why the teachers are so pissed of here in my state. Here’s a great example ... right before I retired the district wanted to cut the schools electric bill and said they were going to charge each teacher, or deduct from their salary, the electical usage of each of our workrooms’ refrigerator, microwave and coffee pots...I kid you not. Plus we would be taxed for our individual classroom coffee pots and such. However once it was discovered the districts office would suffer no such taxes the idea was nixed.

Most ranchers spend $550-1000 a year of their own money for supplies and extras to run their classrooms... just ask Lucylee or any others here in this village who have children in the education world. Teachers are getting really tired of all the blame for the failure of the education system in this country especially when many work so hard to change it and still don’t get paid for their efforts.

There’s an old saying... you get what you pay for and here n my state there is a reason why so many teachers are leaving the field that they live ... just in my district alone there is a shortage of Sped teachers wth more than 100 positions unrolled and her 550 teachers LEFT their teaching position during the first six weeks of the school year.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:38 pm

wow d rose! thank you for sharing.
I know by us we also have additional training (even in preschool but nothing like the teachers)!
I don't know if people realize that teachers do work more than the time they are there.

Preschool here they are looking for bs and masters in ECE but only pay at most 15 an hour(for a city) (if lucky) - mostly minimum to $12 (with paying for an education - it doesn't pay. No insurance etc.

I give my neighbour school supplies every couple years bc her kids in the class can't afford them - and the school can't supply them. In the end the teacher pays for them.
People really don't understand that it is important to vote for the referendums

When I was living in the country, in another state, the high school only had old xeroxed books. (no referendum for extra's ever when through)
This is another reason we moved to a suburb with a very good school system. People donate to the classroom needs all the time here - which is good but teachers are often out of money. A nice thing the PTA were able to do is to collect money so that each classroom has a budget that the teacher can use for her/his classroom - it is spread out evenly. most places can't do that.

So many districts have cut so much for the students. Frustrating.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Oh and I forgot to add... in my state the govt just last week past a budget that will guarantee a $17 a week pay raise for teachers starting three YEARS from now. That’s like .50 cents and hour... but think of Lucylee and how many extra hours did she spend just grading papers while she traveled 4 hours back and forth to her ball game. And though I worked school hours I had over 100 IED meetings that lasted more than 1.5 hours ... 26+ that I was responsible for and took me 2+ hours just to write.

Need to get off my soap box and go pant flowers :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:43 pm

fighting a continuing headache

hello d rose, hello d kathryn, hello d harmony hi d harriet hi d nancy

so far I finished my paperwork (1-1/2 hour) - desk looks spiffy, feeling in control for now 8-) lol, :D
man for windows came over and we placed an order for repairs- he was here for over an hour :D
I wasn't going to order groceries :? but I have a migraine in the background and I know it's not going to be good
finished some procrastination/must do paperwork :D :D :D
and finished filing :D
S2S Shower to shoes :D
dh washed his dishes :D

dogs for walk or play :D - they have been in the yard but they need so much more.
:D clean sink yet or counters
put away one laundry that was dry
I have a load in the dryer that needs folding and a load in the washer that needs flipping to dryer
I have one load of whites that need washing

dd younger is having fun with visitors - little girl is so sweet (she said) and has never been to a zoo or on vacation - she is 5 - tomorrow they are going to the zoo. glad dd younger was there. wrote d brother that things are going well after mom got some of the information of who was coming mixed up - she knew the lady was bringing her work friend and we knew she was bringing her 2 teens(mom was told but didn't grasp the true number - next time we will make sure who, when, and date)

out to do one errand :D
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I worked on paper piles did the desk, and the progressed to books and journals in the living room. Got bedroom clothes picked up. Glad for my progress here. Yea. Letter written and in the mail for my dsis.

Trees are in bloom in the yard here. I dusted a bit in the living room.
Pie run soon for h bday.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Yes, Rose... amen and amen
Teaching is a calling, and if you are called to it, you just do it and you love it, and you just deal with the headaches as they come. And if you are not called to it, you probably don’t stay with it very long.
That is not to say that one cannot be called to a position and still work for changes and improvements for themselves and their coworkers... And certainly some are called but cannot remain in the profession because they simply can’t support their families on the wages.
But yes to all you said... here, raises were very infrequent (usually some dinky token raise during election year) and insurance costs generally increase accordingly. For retirees, that is even more true. And you all know how much time I spent grading papers...
our teachers are also required to do the continuing education hours as well, and I never really even bothered to keep up with what I spent on classroom supplies! (Our teachers do receive a certain amount each year for classroom supplies; it varies from year to year — but it certainly helps.)
Taxing you for your coffee maker and microwaves.. that was a new one on me. Wow..
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Home from homeschool adventures. We went to the park afterward and had a picnic.

Received a txt from VDFriend they are postponing their move. It is raining today and predicted to rain for the next couple of days. They have changed their move-in day to Friday.

I find it very very sad that all teachers in other states earn more than our teachers do. Depending on which website you look at, our state is either dead last or 2nd to last in pay. I have been volunteering at the school for years and know the teachers do an amazing job. I have the highest respect for them.

I have been told teachers were required to remove all personal electrical items from classrooms in an effort to reduce the electric bill. No microwaves, coffee pots, refrigerators, etc allowed. I do know our local school does not allow teachers to enter the building on Friday. They shut the school down on that day to lower the utility cost and went to 4 day school week

I was contacted by another friend today asking how to get started homeschooling. She is considering pulling her son from public school and start homeschooling him because he hates school. I really hope people don't think homeschooling is the answer for any temporary issue. It is a HUGE commitment. It seems like there is a big rush toward selecting to do an online charter school. It does sound good up front. They actually pay you $800 a year to "homeschool" your child with them. Legally though it is NOT homeschooling but public school done online from your home (or wherever your computer is located). I have researched it several times because everyone makes it sound so wonderful. Everyone has an opinion and each child learns differently but I am clueless why anyone would want to do it. IMHO the online charter school is the worst option especially for someone like DS9. Put him in front of a computer screen and tell him to sit & watch a powerpoint video for hours is useless. He is going to mentally shut down and learn nothing after the first 3 minutes. I hope it works better for other kids and the parents don't regret putting their child's education in the hands of this online public school.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Back from dropping dh at the airport. I decided to come back home since I'll have 2+ hours before I have to leave again. In theory, I should get something done in that time.

I walked to the bank to get money from the refugee account (had to activate my bank card to do that and now can make purchases with it) and I paid some bills and sent the money to W & R for their next month. So that's done.

I'm still very restless with excitement but that's making me less than productive.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Nancy, happy birthday to dh - nice that you will get him a pie.

struggling with my mouse today -WHAT is this thing doing.

struggling with feeling bad, for which I have taken a med. Advice from HRH was do not take any other med while seeing if the one med will help, or you've learned nothing. Sigh. So even though I want a pain pill... ... sigh.

Will go out to tax lady's and to pharmacy2 soon.

Reading a chapter here and there.
Interested in ya'll's chat about wages, in light of what I'm learning. Such as, what effect has there been of misunderstanding of religion's teachings about women (maybe an unnecessary traditional undervaluing of jobs associated that are more with women?). When we find out (as a society or person) that a tradition didn't really have a basis in our religion after all, and can't be justified there, we're at a fork in our mental road. Do we still turn in the direction of the tradition? What does that mean about the power of comfort zone, or our priorities?

Good lunch prepared and munched upon. :) Harvested some bean sprouts just enough for the meal and left the rest growing.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:34 pm

CUOP (a little more, after paying closer attention earlier to the teacher situation)

I must say, I would not enjoy dissecting owl pellets, either, LadyM. LOL. A good example of the advantages of the co-op, right?

I have friends who homeschooled their son throughout his school years, and they belonged to something that sounds very much like this co-op.
I also have a friend whose daughters are now in something like the online charter school, I think. They love it. The girls are middle school age, and they attend class on Mondays, I believe, then do their assignments online during the week. They get to see their friends on Mondays, but they are free to work at their own pace, travel with their family, and just get to be away from all the middle school drama that so often plagues girls this age. (I’m sure it plagues boys too, for that matter.)

I worry so much about dgs being bullied or left out – b/c he does have his peculiar little personality. So far though, he seems to be doing fine.

The other day, he was singing the song (which he found in his xylophone book) – “Nobody Likes Me.” He said, “But that’s not true for me, that nobody likes me.”
I asked him if there was anyone who didn’t like him, and he thought a minute and said, “No. Well, Farrah didn’t like me when she was in my class.”
(Farrah is the one who had to move b/c her parents got a divorce.)
I asked why she didn’t like him and he said, “I don’t know. She just didn’t like me.”
He didn’t seem too bothered by it though.

In about an hour, they should be arriving at their hotel. He called earlier (on his dmom’s phone) to tell us he missed us. (But not in a bad way, he just wanted to let us know he was thinking of us.) DGD was sleeping.

Hope your dgs enjoys the butterflies, Kathryn! I can see how butterflies might be overwhelming to a little one, but OTOH, he might be delighted by them.

Whittling, making jewelry – you’re always doing something interesting, Nancy! Happy birthday to your dh!

Hmmm… still thinking about those handouts, Harriet. Yes, men and women do experience stress differently, but it would be nice for each sex to be aware of what the other is facing, wouldn’t it? Shared information would only be helpful, IMHO.
Hope you feel better soon!

Enjoy your plants, Rose!

Sooo glad things are nice and peaceful for your morning, Harmony!

Looks like you are doing great, blessed! WTG! Thank you so much for your encouragement and inspiration! Your three-layer cake helped me get my mind in this "good place."

And I… I am off to a GREAT start for the week!!! :shock:
DH came home from the post office and asked if I was going somewhere, b/c I was already in the shower. LOL… it was after 11:30 a.m. -- but still…

So – BEFORE turning on my phone to look at FB or this site or ANYTHING except the weather, I completed the following:
* s2s & washed hair
* breakfast, Bible, vitamins
* s/s all three baths
* stripped bed, put sheets in washer
* spent 15 minutes in bedroom zone (baby room, put 3 baby toys in the closet to open up a little space in the floor there – probably will take these to thrift store – infant swing, two activity seats)

I made a new card yesterday with my morning must do’s –
* S2S, (immediately after weighing and/or walking, if I decide to go outside to walk)
* Bible, breakfast, vitamins
* Daily
* Weekly
* Zone
Then the card says:
GOAL: Give yourself two hours to Do the Right Stuff; ASAP/AFAP
--then you can do whatever you like the rest of the day! 

* ASAP (as soon as possible) AFAP (as FAST as possible!)

DAY ONE seems to be quite successful. :D
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”