Monday Magic

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: Monday Magic

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am

Morning...

Everything here is caught up although I do see a bit of dust creeping in. Need to take care of that today.

Dee... I used a Medicare agent to help me navigate my health care. My mom ushers AARP and so does my friend who worked for Hospic before she retired. I wanted to keep all my drs and had to make sure my migraine meds, which are expensive, were covered. AARP was the best choice for me. My cataract surgery cost me $0. Can’t beat that. Sweetie went with Cigna cause he didn’t care abt his drs and takes very little meds. They require he has a yearly physical... I found never get him to do that, plus all his blood work at no cost. His appendix operation was $41k and he had to pay abt $150. His insurance cost is lower than mine which is around $160 month and this year I was notified my cost had been lowered from last year.

I have yet to pay a penny for anything and I had two ER trips with test in Jan so you can understand why I’m so happy with AARP. My mom has had extensive hospital stays, tests and specialty drs last year and between AARP and Medicare she didn’t pay anything for her bills either.

Off to water my flowers and get ready for my day...
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35 am

waving at you d rose.

time for turning off my computer
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 am

I'm dressed now. First load of laundry (boys quilt plus some blankets) is in the dryer. My fine washables are in the washer. You can bet I'm checking the lint catcher in the washer after EVERY load, just in case there are dead surprises in there.

I've also cleaned and tested the toaster, blender and hand mixer. All work. The toaster was $70 and is a design fail. The crumb tray at the bottom catches only 1/5th of the area (and to the side) and there is no way of brushing crumbs towards it. When you take it out, there's the solid bottom of the toaster. On mine, the crumb tray is 100% under the bread slots and when you take it out, the bottom is now open to the counter. Yes, that can drop crumbs onto the counter from time to time when I pull out the tray but that is preferable to having the crumbs trapped in the toaster forever. Twenty minutes of shaking got the equivalent of one bagel of crumbs out of the dang thing but there's still burnt crumbs I can't brush away. And while it doesn't sound as bad as it did, when I shake the toaster to try and get crumbs out, it sounds like there is rice kernels shushing away in there. No wonder this almost new, expensive, toaster was donated. That took over 30 minutes to get cleaned up (and another 10 to clean up the crumbs all over my kitchen sink and counter.)

Never again. I'm never again volunteering for this sort of thing. I'll say, if you have something to donate, present it directly to the refugees yourself so they know who gave them dirty junk.

Even the new stuff is difficult to accept. Someone bought deep purple toilet cover and mat and a lilac bath mat. Neither match any of the 3 shower curtains we have! Someone else bought 6 bath sheets in teal. And then there are three new smaller towels. No hand towels or wash cloths. Of course, they may not use wash cloths, I don't know the culture. I, on the other hand have 3 - face, body for sponge bath and body in the shower (it hangs in the shower because I kept forgetting to move the sponge bath one to the bathtub before showering. For $1 I solved that problem!

I just want them to have nice things. Modest, but nice and it kills me when I see bought things that don't coordinate. When things are bought and donated, beggars shouldn't be choosers, they should get to choose colours so things match. For used items, I take the most dominate item in the room and try and coordinate around that.

The boys room was just given a quilt and pillow sham. I'll buy a pill for it and there was another throw blanket donated that picks up one of the colours in the quilt so it has been assigned to the boys room. The quilt will be on the bottom bunk, the blanket on the top with sham. So we have a focal point and such a strong one that anything mismatched in the room won't be noticed.

The daughter's room is going to be pink. A pink flowered love seat will be in there, along with a pink flowered comforter. They'll look good with the white metal bed and the pine dresser. I saw a $20 U table (the kind that slip under a sofa so you can eat at the sofa) and I'll pick up a white one for her and she'll have a desk surface when sitting on the love seat. I'll let her pick a rug for her room (nothing has been donated.)

The living room is a white sofa (3 boys, this will be a challenge!) and a pink floral love seat (yes, I have two but different patterns.) The table is maple with 4 chairs and a green bench with storage in it. That won't look too great but it is behind the table so not really in view.

The parents' room is a bed on a metal frame (unless we buy a bed from IKEA) and a dresser. There's a nice burgandy/green/gold comforter that will pull in the colours from the dresser. No bedside tables that I know of. We may buy wooden tv tables for those. That's what I have in my spare bedroom.

Sorry for inundating you with all this. I'm desperately trying to get it all straight in my head.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 am

Next up: clean sheets on my bed and clean towels in my bathrooms. The laundry part of that can wait, but I'd like to have fresh sheets tonight.

Oh, and we have to walk to get milk and maybe a bank deposit too.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:50 am

did paperwork - finished paying bills :shock: I have some outstanding on my cc which I don't like. (I have a card in my card file that I force myself to look at daily - Budget don't begrudge it. I don't like it but I need it.
-meds me and the dogs
-scrubbed the glass pans and are in the dw
-heated the small copper pot that I used for sugar, lemon, glaze for apple cheddar muffins and washed it
-sink and counters and stove clean
- picked up dog - d**d** (I used to love when we lived in the woods because the dogs would just head out there and never see it ;)
- I haven't s2s so that is next and then animals - take them outside and me walk

Now for s2s :D
it is already 10:54 am. dh went to the post office and mailed our taxes - he still wants to do it that way. - hard to change.
I made out a check for Visa and he will take it to the bank. :shock:
exercised dogs :D
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 am

yay d kathryn! also enjoy your walk
also I agree about the dirty junk people give - why they do that I will never know.
I love hearing about how things are going for the refugees. I am happy that Canada is so welcoming to families.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:44 pm

I have made the bed and laundry is in the dryer now. I spiffed up the kitchen journaling is done now. We had Easter snow this year. Got another dish cloth ready go seam up.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I have been having a relaxed morning. I have out chicken thawing for our supper, have done some of a.m. routine and walked the ddog.

My energy is fairly decent today. I've come to the conclusion that mother's demise is probably not imminent, even with hospice services in place. She has returned to almost where she was before the last fall on 13 March perhaps. Dcousin in KNoxville called last night and couldn't come today so is planning on Wednesday. I just got a notification of a Wed 11 a.m. funeral that I should probably attend, so may need to push dcousin off again.

Need to get rolling:
-brush teeth, wash up
-make the bed
-reboot laundry
-reboot computer

I have a list to do some chore bingo later...also need to go see dmom soon, and at 4 p.m. I have the Pro Gen online discussion.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Jobs I've done....
-stripped dd's bed
-cleaned the dog's ears
-Unloaded dishwasher and clear kitchen counters
-broken apart an aloe plant for repotting and left it to harden off for a day or two
-purged magazines from Great room coffee table

Still going....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi everyone!

I had 4 ladies over from the knitting group this morning. I was up at 7 and barely stopped before the first lady came in at 9. As soon as the last lady left, dh pulled into the driveway for lunch. As soon as he left, I went and bought cat food.

Someone suggested a large box of moth balls to throw down the holes to get rid of the rats. I didn't feel like driving to the large dollar store to get them, so they can wait for tomorrow.

Supper tonight is BBQ steak and a foil package of onions and potatoes done on the upper rack of the BBQ.

I need a nap.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”