Slice of Life Sunday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Slice of Life Sunday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 am

I love it when we share little anecdotes of what's happening in life.

Lynlee's observations of life in the neighbourhood, or people she meets while she's taking transit.

The Out-of-the-Mouth-of-Babes stories.

The stories of family history.

If you can think of a short anecdote to share, please do. Not just today, any day. They often have the effect of refocusing me from my own stresses and worries to take a wider focus and put my own issues in perspective.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Slice of Life Sunday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:39 am

I'm up. I slept pretty well for at least 6 hours and then I listened to my podcasts and dozed in and out for another few hours since my body was really tired even if my mind was racing.

I'm having tea and chocolate now. While I waited for the tea to steep, I got all the chairs off the dining room carpet and I'll give it a good vacuum, then do the whole room, then put the table on its diagonal again. I was looking at it, wondering how it was the I used to have more room to move between the living room and kitchen. Then I remembered. Having taken 2 bookcases fool of items, another 8 boxes and a love seat out of the room, it feels a bit empty along that wall. I'm looking forward to setting up my electronic keyboard again and being able to get out on the balcony. Same in the living room. There have been a few days I've wanted to go out on the balcony but couldn't because the patio doors were blocked.

I still need to pull together my service. I know I also have to rewrite the first paragraph of my prayers of the people (it talks of new life breaking out of the grown and this year that isn't the case.)

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 am

I am up and morning progressing smoothly.

My time spent on the internet continues to be limited. Self-imposed. I need to step back a bit and evaluate the pro/cons. I dearly love this group and have zero desire to eliminate my time spent here. IMHO, it is time well spent. I also spend time on OA groups but it too is well worth the time/effort spent. It is the other places on the internet that are proving themselves unworthy.

The weather is going bonkers here. Yesterday it felt like 10F with snow and ice. By the end of the week, it is supposed to hit 90F. Crazy! Yesterday I took DS9 and DGD6 to a Kids Arts and Craft event in the nearest Big City. I didn't realize they hadn't sanded the roads. It was so icy that cars were sliding off the interstate and cars flipped about every couple of miles. If I knew how bad the roads were, we wouldn't have gone. But once on the interstate, there is no way to get off (next exit is 10 miles from my entrance) so I just drove slow and prayed A LOT. Thankfully, we made it A-Okay with no problems.

Today is typical Sunday stuff. Church including teaching Children Church, then lunch with friends at our favorite restaurant. DGS21 will be joining us. He has requested help with cleaning his carpet this afternoon. I am undecided if I will do that. I worked an hour at his apartment on Friday washing baseboards and walls. I want to be supportive of him, but I think he can handle the carpet cleaning by himself. It seems to be a one-person job (whoever is holding the carpet cleaner handle).
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:22 am

d kathryn - I love the start - thank you.
good morning d kathyrn I am glad you slept well. well done on doing things while your tea was steeping!

good morning Crazy weather d lady!!! I know yesterday we had frost and 21 degrees. Crazy is right. Glad you were ok driving!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:23 am

clutter is piling up again - no clutter checks the last couple days - and it's ALL mine! 3 days
I need help from dd's today moving boxes of photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYhl3JNkV4 kat sunday

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am

I am heading to my dmom's house today - we sold the insulators and Pop science magazines and some misc items to someone dh knows. My ddad is probably rolling over in his grave today over what we sold it for. I'm meeting the guy today so he can pack it up, but I'll need to hurry back home for a shower and to go to a shiva tonight and be there at 6 p.m. I am feeling crazy with all this right now. Yesterday was there from 1:30 to almost 8 p.m. The nephews and their wives and dd and ds got what they wanted, although they haven't loaded it all up and moved it all yet.

I'm feeling exhausted. The friend of dh's and her significant other walked through and bought some things, and she showed me some things that she said I should keep. Perhaps that means more to lug home, but I don't have to take all her suggestions either.

So I have a busy day, tomorrow I have a noon online "test" for a discussion group, and am driving to K-town for a seminar 5:30 to 8:30 there, then back home. Tuesday a.m. early the window guy is supposed to come to fix the broken window at dmom's. Thursday evening, I'm driving to Nashville, will be with dh that evening and Friday p.m. and go to the library/archives there Friday and Saturday.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:00 am

d twins i hope today goes well... sending you a zap of energy to speed you through your day easily.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:26 am

Slice of life: Priorities

Dh: I didn't do my first-of-the-month financial updates (he takes his allowance from the joint account and pays his credit card bill)

Me: I didn't notice. I haven't done any financial updates for much longer than from the beginning of the month (there's a large pile of chits to enter into Quicken.) On the other hand the refugee accounting is up to date.

So, is it good I put the refugee accounting ahead of our household accounts? I'm not sure which is the priority here.

Living room and dining room have been vacuumed and the floors mopped and scrapes/dings minimized with markers. Some dusting has been done (not a lot.) My furniture and plants are back where they belong. The rooms look a lot better. There's still a lot of dusting to be done but that doesn't show as much as the mess on the floors showed.

Someone donated 3 watches, all with dead batteries but he could only get one open. We had a battery for that so gave it to the daughter. There was a belt loop clip on watch, which is a style I love, but dh couldn't get it open. This morning I dug it out of the giveaway bag I was assembling of donations we didn't give the family and finally got the back off with a filleting knife. We had the right battery so now I have a working clip on watch to wear with my jeans. In theory I should give it to the son but I'm done with repairing/cleaning cast-offs from others for the family. If you want something to go to the family, get it in working order and take it to them directly.

Next up: get the service completed and printed and then get dressed for my service. Now I should be switching my brain to preaching mode from refugee or house-cleaning mode.

When at the dollar store on Friday I bought a $2 silvery owl with glowing eyes and hung it in the bedroom window. I haven't seen or heard a pigeon on our bedroom ledge or our neighbours balcony railing ever since. It is still too early to know if it is a success (the weather has been poor plus one of them was HUGE so may sitting on eggs now in a nest somewhere) but it is promising. I'll give it a week and if it works, I'll put one in the office window as well.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:11 pm

I am up have been doing a bit of self imposed less net especially likes on fb.
Our house resembles what bw2 said. I have to pick up doggie items after cleaning out her kennel. Last nite she upchucked on the blanket on the couch had to wash it glad that is threw the wash now.

I need to consider store run 1st counters need more attn.
One bathroom needs swished.
Just a short list the next ten min. Worked for me yesterday.
One step at a time we can do this got that on my walk after talking to the guy that has a heighbors tree in his front yd. It blew down, missed the camper and cars just a bit of gutter damage he was lucky.
Have been trying to get out of a slump.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Watch donation - Kathryn, maybe have someone take the watches to a shop and buy the batteries for them there, if they will replace them for you? That way, the responsibility for opening a difficult case is in the hands of someone who'll make money if successful, and hopefully does this all the time, has great tools, etc. Also, the responsibility for saying "toss it!"

Dd38's family just left. This time I have all the sadness alone, because dd19 didn't even get to come home all weekend, and HRH was so down he went to his office after his hugs. Waiting now for assistant treasurer who is bringing the offering to me. For the first time since the church started the song-leader concept, just men led on a Sun morning. At least that's what I think, unless I hear differently.

Party yesterday was brought inside to ds' garage because of rain. It was loud. :shock: But ddil did a good job managing in a surprising situation. I organized a photo of all the children, posed on the "rug" (not really a textile) that ddil used for center of garage to make it seem more like a room. My cousin's dd was there with her little girls, and she agreed with me that this was important, so we made it happen. Now I have one photo in the world of these children's generation - 3rd cousins. The children who are the friends from mother's-morning-out program will be puzzles to future generations, who try to decide who those family members are, lol. I'm sure Twins' Mom gets into that kind of thing all the time.

I slept well last night on the couch, following the previous night's poor attempt, with HRH and I sleeping in dd19's room together. Not really a comfortable space for two, and simply impossible if one needs to get up.

We only "cooked" the first night with a big veggie-meal. Then yesterday lunch sandwiches and last night we baked frozen pot pies. Had to go out for groceries to manage a cake for here - I just couldn't get it done. But we found something dd38 could decorate, so it seemed to the boys as if it was personal (I hope).

Return to “Post When You Can”