SLOGGING THROUGH SUNDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: SLOGGING THROUGH SUNDAY

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Wicked ice storm now. The window by my desk is completely iced over and the bedroom window is getting that way too. High winds to help drive the icy rain onto the windows.

I'm wearing a turtleneck and fleece vest. Normally, a t-shirt is too hot in here. I suspect it is me that is mentally cold listening to the wind and ice on the window. I'm drinking hot water at the moment.

Dinner was excellent. We didn't stop for ingredients on the way home so I had to make do. We had half a store-cooked chicken leftover. Dh didn't care, he'll eat it cold so he was easy. I usually make up a teriyaki stir fry with peppers and onions and carrots and garlic, but didn't have peppers. Then dh pulled out a container of pineapple chunks leftover from the sweet and sour pork from earlier in the week so I made up sweet and sour chicken for myself. The sauce is so easy, I kept wondering if there was a trick I was missing since it was ready in five minutes. There wasn't and my dinner was delicious, thank you. I just had onion and pineapple in the sauce with the chicken and then served that over a grated carrot with some garlic toast as a side. I probably shouldn't have had the toast because now I'm feeling bloated but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Onto the treadmill I go now. There's no walking outside today and they are saying this won't end until tomorrow at noon. Tomorrow is the first day of school for Z's boys. I bet it will be cancelled. The city has asked people to stay off the roads now, the transit company has said to be prepared for long delays tomorrow and city counselors are asking for certain roads to be closed now since they can't be kept clear of the ice. And still, we have less of the ice than Cathy has.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Oh, Kathryn, I wish you could get to your well-deserved spring.

Twins' Mom, thank you for the link. I do of course remember you mentioning pain but didn't realize it had continued this long.

I am informed that dcousin's tractor is NOT bigger than mine, but actually the slightly smaller model, however new and beautiful. HRH got the trees out of the road and probably helped a lot, insofar as allowing traffic. I admit that it was not a totally hare-brained idea, but i wish he had waited - he was soaked and cold and weary. Also his feeling a little bit hurt by several passing who seemed to think he was "supposed" to be doing the work and should hurry, rather than saying "thanks" for making clear passage.

All around us, trouble, trouble. A cousin lost her porch, another cousin lost a tree and part of a little building. Neighbor of the church lost an old barn. Everywhere the damage is in a definite "twist", showing a whirling wind of some ilk.

When it all passed, having heard that trees were down at neighbors of the church, I went to the church yard to check and picked up sticks and limbs. Although the property was not spared, with a big limb across the driveway and a cedar down, plus 4 trees down in our bit of woods behind, there was no structural damage. As people started coming for the evening study, I made my exit, although I chatted a bit. I'm sure I'll be talked about for not staying, but I was obviously in yardwork clothing.

By the time I got back, HRH had his second wind and wanted to go out to grocery, so we managed that. But I was so tired afterward. I'm sure I'll really sleep tonight, with a day of social stuff, some stressful, followed by yard work.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:54 pm

stay safe d kathryn
I am sorry people didn't say thanks d Harriet - a job well done on your dh's part. I am glad you are safe! And I am glad that, even though there were losses of property, no one was hurt! Hope tomorrow is stressful and everyone you have to meet with tomorrow are just cheerful that everyone is fine.

We are still having snow and sleet - much better than the ice this morning. It's going to go down to at least 26 degrees tonight. So much for the pansies a lot of people planted.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Dinner is done very yummy. H cooked, I rinsed and loaded the dishes. We were going to bbq but it rained so just popped them in the oven that worked great.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:02 am

Harriet — I am so glad no one was hurt in the storms! Sounds like your community was lucky! But, I am sorry there’s so much mess to clean up and that some aren’t especially appreciative. Shaking my head...

I’m also sorry Kathryn and some others are dealing with ice and snow this time of year!

Also (((LadyM’s ds9)))

Not much to report on here; I’ve been too worn out to even call my dmom today.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”