Figuring out Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: Figuring out Friday

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Forgive me if I'm not catching up on posts well enough to sound coherent. Some of this was to be posted earlier but I'm scattered.. ...

HRH and I had a wonderful day together yesterday, although postponed a bit by a visit from his mother and cousin. They did call in advance that morning, which is really all we would ask. We moved our plans back and everything was fine.

In the mail I received the notice and plan for a women-of-the-church thing, to which I promised to bring the fruit. Thankfully, it's not for 2 weeks. I feel that I need to do something special for the table, although others were telling me just bring a bowl of fruit and forget it. This will need to feed minimum 20, though. And although I'm too "close" to the situation to have been sent a real invitation (my friend asked me to forgive the sheet of typing paper she sent me, lol) I think this is becoming a pretty big effort to have a memorable event. So I have been looking online for attractive ideas that I think I can do.

I think I can do some of the flourishes shown on this platter, but I will need to learn some good general info, such as how far in advance of the event to do the work. I don't want anything that isn't safe, looks dry, or (heaven forbid) discolors. I already make mango "pincushions" like that every morning, and these just look especially large, that's all. I assume one would make a lot of these individual flourishes such as the kiwi halves up in advance, and be able to refrigerate. Considering buying a special "knife" that will flute (is that the right word? or "edge"?) the kiwi and cantaloupe more delicately than I've ever done. I think the dark "bowls" are purple dragon fruit, but I've only seen white sold here. I like the addition of clear forks dotted all around to help serve yourself.

HRH will help me - he's a perfectionist and good at food police work, lol.

Today I have been alternating housework projects with churchwork projects. 3 big ones down so far. Need to continue on. Maybe I'll go with a ... ..

TopOfTheHour check-in for a few hours
(smile)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Done lunch (continuing the eating theme.) Laundry is being moved along. I had already put away the fine washables off the drying rack and the towels are now away and the final load in the dryer.

I got an answer from higher up in church governance which I needed for today's meeting.

I still don't know if I'm preaching Sunday. This is a new part of the eating issue (it is gnawing at me.) I've started to clean up the service I'm reusing so I just have a sermon to do if the answer is yes.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 pm

I am just now sitting down to catch up on posts and check in. DD checked in with me this a.m. (we're doing a pedicure together on Monday a.m.) and she was going to Michaels for a craft project so I met her there. I have a 50-year-old raised topo map of this area that came out of dparents' house and I want to get it framed. It predates the interstate, btw. But the framer wasn't there yet so I have to go back this afternoon. But I went on to Lowes for plants and got plants for front porch, tomato plants (still a little early here) zinnia seeds, ferns and two fabulous fiddle leaf figs - one for dd. Also stopped off at T uesday M orning for drapes for my office room, a planter for dd's fiddle leaf fig, and card for the baby naming tomorrow at the other congregation. So I need to go back to Michaels in a bit but I'm having lunch right now.

Tonight we are going to the preview party for a juried arts festival here this weekend. It will be fun, a lot of people we know and pretty things to look at! I usually get a pair of artsy earrings for myself every year.

I am aggravated trying to buy some t shirts on line. I wear them all the time in the summer - plain, good cotton, no logo. The website is weird on me. So I called and did it by phone - the lady said they are having website issues. :shock:

For anyone wanting to do a DNA test, Ancestry is $59 right now and FTDNA's Family Finder is $49. Both are autosomal tests. I think I have one Ancestry and two FF kits already stashed for when I find a new cousin. You never know!

Late this afternoon I should s2s and get ready for the event, which begins at 6:30. I think I'll go back to Michaels right now.

I looked at a site, Dave's Garden, and it says we are practically guaranteed that we won't have a frost after 21 April! Our ten day forecast supports that projection as well.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Bathrooms deep cleaning project is now a TaDa.

Vacuuming should be up next.

Reconciling church statement then.

Also... ... gee, I should eat, huh?

Can't... get... brain... free.... of fruit.... creativity.... (bopping forehead - not working)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 pm

rah rah rah cheering your accomplishment d harriet!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm

how neat to frame that map d Twins! Have fun tonight!
thank you for sharing about the DNA test

hi d kathryn! I hope a sermon pops makes itself known to you!

d harriet im so glad you and HRH had a lovely time yesterday. that fruit platter looks lovely.

hi d harmony enjoy your errands

hi d Elizabeth I am so sorry about the cyst! Wishing your dd the best with finals

hi d cathy! so happy you finally have blue skies and sunshine

hi d nancy. ouch on biting your tongue!

wishing everyone the best!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:09 pm

I had a lovely time with d cousin and dd younger.
dd younger had a great dentist visit.

Sun is shining!!! it's in the young 60's here!!! wow
who would have thought we would see like this.

wearing shorts! (and hoping no one faints when they see me).

I think I am going to take some time to do nothing. 8-)

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 pm

I went to Michaels as well! I had a 50% off coupon for today only. I also had the rest of a gift certificate. Plus I get the seniors discount because I am over 55 (you have to ask for it each time) and the final bill was around $12 after all that, so it went on to the credit card that owes me money.

I also went to the bulk food store. They are having a "sale" where if you spend more than $15, you get a free reusable bag with their logo on it. I choose the one with the gummy bears on it, because the one with the nuts was putting temptation in front of dh. He doesn't like candy, which is okay, but he hasn't been able to munch on anything nutty since last November.

Plus I filled up on gas at $1.29 per litre. My little car took over $50 for the first time ever. That is $6 more than when I bought the car in 2014.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:54 pm

For anyone wanting to do a DNA test, Ancestry is $59 right now and FTDNA's Family Finder is $49.

Twins - I have not given any time/effort with tracing our family tree but have been thinking about doing DNA tests while we still have our Mothers (both are 87 years old). For someone TOTALLY clueless (me) should I get a DNA test kit from both the Ancestry & FTDNA for each of our Mom's to do? Or just do just one DNA test? If we only do one, which one would you recommend? I don't have an account at either place so it would be tossing a coin in the air type of decision for me to choose.

DGS21 Birthday lunch celebration went smoothly today. We had 4 generations attending. It was noisy with so many conversations going on and it seemed like everyone talking at once. I guess that is good that we don't seem to run out of something to say to each other.

It is also DGS23 birthday but I can't find him. He hasn't read the FB messages from me (I can see when/if he reads them). I have put out feelers and left messages with his friends. I have a couple more things to try but they are long shots. We continue to wait for him to grow up and get tired of being homeless.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:20 pm

I have walked the dog.
I need to pick up pruning the limbs are still on the ground.
Did some knitting.
I think my allergies are acting up.

Return to “Post When You Can”