keep it simple Sunday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: keep it simple Sunday

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Cathy - I am constantly amazed by you and your DH creativity (and menus!). YGG!

Church and lunch went well. I decided to leave Sam at home because I wasn't sure if I could handle 15+ kids (3-5-year-olds) plus Sam. When I told DH on the way to church why I left Sam at home, he encouraged me to do what helps me. If Sam helps me then bring him.

We stopped at the grocery store after lunch so I could buy Salsa making ingredients. I enjoy have 6 oz of Salsa almost daily and find it worth the effort/time to make it from scratch.

We dropped DGD6 off at her home to spend the afternoon with her Step-dad. DD is working double shifts for the next week or two as she assumes the management of the bar where she has been bartending. DGS21 was bragging on DD today because she is so good at what she does. Tiny steps keep happening as the relationship healing between DD and her children continues.

I received some information that DGS23 is in Alabama now. His biological Mom lives there. I am hoping DGS23 finds what he needs there to get his life back on track.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

HI D Lady
hi d Cathy
hi d rose
hi d nancy
hi d twins
hi d dee

waving to each of you!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm

worked 3 hours on the living room project and it was fun because there is so much sunshine outside. have a great afternoon. Soon I will be getting a pedicure with dd older. dd younger went to get peat moss for the garden. Her seedlings are finally really growing.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Keep it simple Sunday!

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:04 pm

I repainted a sign. Did ten min. Outside on the yard, put the pruning in the trash, looked over the other roses in the hedge and see more dead wood to remove. 82* in our forecast on Thursday. Hens are out for their free range time. Lunch is done. I have been knitting.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:44 pm

well done everyone!

hi d nancy great work

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:45 pm

dd older and I went to get a pedicure for me and a manicure for her. Dd older, dd younger and I are going out to eat soon.
It was a nice relaxing Sunday :D

I want to figure out the bills so I can take care of things tomorrow.

going to do french when I come back.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:52 pm

sweet evening everyone.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:26 pm

I was disappointed I couldn't get back yesterday to chat with you all about sitting up and taking notice. :)

But as you all know, I had a whooshing day. Shortly after getting dd19 back here, dd38 and family drove in. We were able to go out to eat, for which I was grateful, since I still had linens in the dryer :roll: and was barely ready. Dd19's restaurant suggestion, which was a casual but sit-down Japanese restaurant, turned out to be a great choice. From the same parking space, dd38 and I ducked through a grocery for last-minute needs including 4 extra water-drinking cups for the boys as they waited at WonderBoy's soccer tournament next day. (A gap that had been noticed the day before.) Back home, dd19 needed to baby-sit away from home (because she's poor) so she had to say goodbye then and get home after they were in bed.

We were delighted to hear that DangerBoy has had success with his first attempts at track and has a surprising running speed his parents didn't know was a talent. He only took it up to help with soccer. The other families in the stands are rooting for him, because he just lopes along but puts on a burst of speed at the final turn, which gets a lot of attention. I can't help but think his hearing aids cause some "favoritism" in the stands, too, because, honestly, they are obvious and always have been.

This morning by 5:30 I was dressed and ready to help them all get out the door with a reasonable breakfast, heading back to the tournament. I got at least some fruit into everyone. And off they went by 6:30 - what a whirlwind visit! then I was ready for the usual get-ready-for-church whirlwind lol

Dd19 and I both attended rehearsal and we and bass singer led singing. There was a very small attendance. 17 adults, although 3 of those in nursery, so 14, plus the 7 of us for 21 in the sanctuary, possibly a new low. The first time, I think, to have only 2 people in the pews for every 1 person singing or playing music at front.

Then laundry, laundry for dd19, plus a toiletries run through pharmacy for her and then back to school.

Ramblin' I'm still whirring those green drinks, yes, and also doing more cooked greens lately. Have been trying to get so proficient at adding variety cooked greens to a meal that it's easy and "Keep It Simple" fast for me. Once upon a time, I used to look at the big bunches of greens and think cooking them was a hassle, while asking the Nutri Bullet to whir them into a recipe was more do-able. Slowly I've gotten to the point of feeling comfortable with both.

I did not attempt the church study this evening, but napped instead. I feel guilty in a way - I know someone was cooking, don't know who, though I'm sure they worked hard. I just can't do everything, and starting out when the church doors open at 8:30 makes for a long church day with treasurer stuff looming. Also the study is so boring.... ...

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Dh has headed to bed so I need to follow quickly. I'm tired so that should help.

Spent hours on my bullet journal. Not sure that was good use of my time.

Dh and I walked 4 miles. And I was wearing just a t-shirt for most of that. A week ago we were in a 36 hour long ice storm with high, high, winds. So quite the change in weather.

BTW: there's a leak in the bedroom window/wall and the plastering that was done just weeks ago is all bubbling up and changing colour. That came out just after the ice storm so I'm guessing the caulking done last fall didn't work. Sigh....

I also spent the morning putting away the china (about 20 minute job), ironing the table cloths - I hadn't done the one from Christmas, either (that was almost 80 minutes.) Then I ordered a machine wash/dry synthetic table cloth for when the table is this size. I have a cotton lace one for full size and I have to say it makes my life so easy because there's not ironing involved. So I decided to spring for a smaller one. I debated buying the plastic cover for over fancy table cloths but I just couldn't bear to set my table that way. My sounding cloth underneath has plastic on it so the table is protected from water. I'll stick with trying the synthetic cloth out first.

I put away the high chair and bibs. The terribly berry stained cloth bib came up perfectly. Sunlight bar soap is amazing (I'm using bits of a bar from my day care days so that's over 21 years old.)

Aside from that, and cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, I've done nothing but waste time on researching late walking. Dgs had his 18 month checkup and the doctor is giving him another 3 months learn to walk. I would have preferred a bit of intervention since dd didn't mention any detailed exam of him to rule out physical problems. My reading of a guide to doctors when presented with late walkers shows that problems in the womb can be related. If some physical therapy would help him that would be great. He's so late with this (and rolling and sitting and he still doesn't stand) that I worry he'll be picked on and teased in school if other physical skills (walking a balance beam, riding a bike, running) are equally delayed. There's a balancing act of being assertive and being a worry-wart mom. I feel like I'm walking that line carefully with dd but I wish she'd be more assertive given dgs's problems in the womb and need for physical therapy to straighten his neck and shoulders.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Nancy, that sounds like a nice meal out for his bday! Hope he had fun.

Kathryn, misdiagnosis resulted in late intervention for speech for DangerBoy. He has the rather classic speech you might think of for deaf persons even though he has (and always had) partial hearing. He has had to work very hard on diction and does well but it has taken up a lot of his time. If he had gotten attention earlier and hearing aids fast, it could have been less pronounced. So I don't see you as a worry-wart but a proactive thinker.

Harmony, yes a big variety of fruits can be found here, more than we used to see. I've already experimented a little with the arrangement plans a chef did in some videos. right, I was thinking, a honeydew or cantaloupe half with grapes or balled fruit of some contrasting color spilling out. Pineapple is a definite to include because it goes well with another lady's decision about ham, and I've been considering some shapes/arrangements I've seen for serving that.

The one trusted friend at church with whom I've shared that I'm going to try for a really beautiful large platter, raised her eyebrows and I know she's worried we'll all bite off more than we should try chewing. But there's a dream that this event can be healing and encouraging among the women of the church. The lady doing the tables is going overboard, the one doing the invitations outdid herself, and the one bringing that ham has already shared with me that she's going to the most expensive place. I myself will make it clear that I tried hard for a once-a-year (or less) event and won't volunteer this every time we have a meal!

The week ahead
The early-week chores I need to accomplish are Desk Days.
Also there's one errand I can't postpone.
Editing for dd on a letter.
Tuesday I have toddlerC (need to remind I can't do it the next Tues)
Wednesday starts a household-goods sale at Koh ls I may shop
Have a photo of HRH that I took Sat and just love - may frame

Return to “Post When You Can”