Orderly Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lynlee

Re: Orderly Wednesday

Postby Lynlee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:11 pm

re tai chi - I wouldn't put it as such a perfectionist thing as was mentioned.
I guess it may well depend upon the teacher, and the form and association they work with.
In the beginning there is a fair bit of learning to do to have the certain stance, stepping and moving weight from foot to foot and moving arms just so. Once you learn the way to do the basics in a 'good enough' fashion, and have been taught the first 16 of the 100 odd moves (many are repeated many times) it is possible to join in a group and 'fudge' your way through. Always/ well mostly/ facing the right direction is a good start. We are told we all fudge.
Having people to copy is a good start. It takes time to learn how to follow the movements of another.
Perfection is said to be a moving target with multiple sessions of weekly practice for years to never really reach.
Many say 8 years of attendance and their instructor still gives them tips. err. correction.
(I will say nicely , or not so nicely corrected, depending on who you are learning from.)
Expect the instructors not to be perfect all the time, or you will be disappointed.
If you get tired - stop, sit and watch for a bit.
Like yoga - it works on the bodies energy systems. Its healing .
There are people with all kinds of health stories I've met at tai chi and yoga too for that matter.
someone with RA swore by dr Lam's Tai Chi for arthritis - met in the group I attended in 2013 .
She got those dvds and practiced an hour each day. Out grew our instructor and went looking for another who she could call 'good enough'.
My current class follows taoist tai chi - headquarters in Canada.
https://www.taoist.org/usa
On the Au site I was impressed with the folk who came in struggling to walk and were soon parking their walking stick at the door.
In the beginning of this class people thought they would never be able to step backwards, but they seem to be doing it now.
I know - during my 2013 attempt at the beginners class I stuffed my shoulders (again) and gave up. This time I am hearing how to protect my shoulders, and when they protest, I listen. waist high might be my attempt at arms out at shoulder height. I need the fitness, and the company of a class. I'm hoping it does my brain good as well. I'm not expecting to remember perfectly the order of the whole 15 minute sequence anytime soon, but I can have a fair go at doing it with the class.
Going to 2 classes that teach the same thing each week, as well as a indepth revision of what we learned last week, is really helpful. The way the the different instructors do it can seem different to me.
Then when we have 30 min shared lesson with 'continuing students' there is a different instructor again for both those classes. Lately we do the whole set twice with them during that time.
Last week the instructor forgot a section, but we are expected to follow what the leader does. That I the 'right' thing to do.
Perfection? What is that?
Expect to sometimes find it difficult and confusing. At least that is true for me.

Maybe sit in on some classes and see if it appeals to you. I've been to teachers following 5 different forms/ organisations, or seem to have made up something slightly or very different.
If I could find the first one again I would see if that suits me now..
That learning tai chi is difficult means you will be making much needed new brain connections. Its good for you.

Its 2.10am. Why aren't I in bed? Good night.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 pm

d lynlee nice to see you! so cool that you do tai chi! go to bed! :D sleep tight!

Perfection is said to be a moving target with multiple sessions of weekly practice for years to never really reach.
I like that d lynlee
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:41 pm

hi d twins! waving at you

hi d elizabeth! I love reading about your experimenting with the gluten free bread! you will figure it out!
have a good day. I got a ramp for the dogs and they are taking to it slow; but we will get there.

hi d kathryn! I am glad you got those long emails done and behind you.

hi d Nancy! hope the lawn dries enough so that you can have a good mowing afternoon

hello to everyone

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:44 pm

I went to ww and it took a chunk out of my morning already. But I did loose which is good.
I am liking the freestyle program.

today I also planned to have my ice-cream I like - so that is worked into the week.

Ok time for the grocery store.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:48 pm

I'm getting my SHE fix while sitting in the waiting room of doctors office.

I am listening to Brains On podcast also. Someone recommended it for kids but I wanted to listen to a couple podcast before introducing it to DS9.

I took DS9 to DMoms home this morning to stay while we are at doc appt. . She was looking forward to his visit. I am concerned about DMoms short term memory..... Or rather her lack of memory. I am going to put this huge change in her memory loss into the stress category. I know DBro medical procedures greatly affect DMom mentally. Hopefully her memory will return after DBro stem cell transplant is over. DS9 is good for DMom because he is such a detail guy. He doesn't forget ANYTHING.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm

A week ago at this time, I was in the middle of a freezing rain/sleet storm. Since then, our weather has been more suitable to Spring season.

Unfortunately, I still feel as if I'm stuck in winter -- not able to make progress on any big projects. Very frustrating. Still trudging through the muck, though, and celebrating every tiny forward movement.

For example, everyone has been a lot more cheerful at work. That helps!

Today's 4x4:
laundry
post office
dentist appointment postponed from last Wednesday
Sam's to return bag from chopped romaine lettuce

The lettuce thing is unusual. They left a message on our answering machine about possibility of Ecoli contamination in the bag of chopped lettuce, and said to return the bag for a full refund. I had already eaten enough of the lettuce to make a big salad, and luckily had no ill effects. I threw out the rest of the lettuce and would have tossed the bag, too, and not bothered with the refund if it would have meant a special trip to the store. However, I'm driving right by it today, and might as well stop in for a few things.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:20 pm

a quick hi to d book and d lady!!!

dh is depressed re: d mom in law today. He got an invitation for his aunts 90th birthday and it hit him hard.

sunny and cold here.

I have not finished my morning routine - still meds and swish and swipe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:15 pm

I have pruned a rose in the back yd. Also mowed the front yd. A 2nd rose to pruned in back taking a breather now. Painted up Another batch of rocks.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Disappointment - I haven't even gotten to read

Never mind, that half-sentence was typed this morning, and interrupted.

Maybe I just better say "hi". I wish I could have read yesterday's PWYC and now wish I could read today's! I'll try to make those a reward as soon as possible.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Morning...

The tai chi classes I have attended have never been like the one Kathryn described and the classes my mom attended allowed for people to use chairs to balance themselves. In fact in my mom's case the instructor surrounded her with chairs so she could feel confident about not falling. My "flow" class is a combination of yoga and tai chi and though I am a two footed kiuts I love the class. Everyone seems to be a different stages and I find the class much more challenging than my others. Its interesting that the two women who are usually next to me originally come from Japan and Thialand. I dare guess how old the gal from Japan is, but I imagine by her looks she is well into her 70's. Both are very proficient in their moves leading me to believe they have been doing this for a long time. They are the ones who keep encouraging me to keep coming to class. And though I tend to fall over many times I am learning to love the energy and focus I gain from the class.

Yesterday I had my first facial, but I can tell you now it won't be the last. I didn't know what to expect. The gal works out of where I get my hair done and what convinced me to try one was the way the gal approached me before hand. She didn't try to sell me an expensive facial, but rather a one she called Glow, which is basically deep cleaning your face. And she didn't try to sell me any products. The cost was $29 and I decided to treat myself.

I loved the whole procedure which lasted 30 minutes. My face just felt wonderful to touch. I made another appointment before I left and another gal who makes the appointments and knows me says everyone calls this gal who gives the facials Angle Fingers. I can see why. I didn't realize that a face massage, which I have never had was part of the facial. Her fingers were as soft as rabbit fur as she applied her potions and massaged my face.

I am in the middle of a mass decluttering project. I totally redid my pantry and this morning I worked on a few of my cabinets. The pantry took longer that I thought because I ended up going through every box and can throwing away anything that was expired. Did the same for my cabinet too. I have one more huge project to do in my kitchen but need to save it for another day. Sweetie goes to the eye drs. this afternoon and will have his eyes dilated so I need to drive him home.

I have several other projects in my home that I want to get done, but first must figure out my time, energy and commitments so I can schedule things in a correct order. I can get overwhelmed just with my thinking so I am writing everything out and creating a control notebook. I wanted to go to the gym 5 days a week, but because it takes such a huge chunk out of my mornings when my energy is highest, I'm going to dial that back to three days a week while doing some workouts here at home for the others. Then I will be able to start a project and work to its done during the days I schedule myself to be home.

I slept through the entire night again. Yippie!!! The magnesium/calacium/potassium...500/500/99mgs ...combo supplement, has Harriet probable well knows seems to be really starting to work. From all I read most people are really short on their daily magnesium. I take it right before I go to bed, and to be honest, if I forget, I hop out of bed to take it. I also believe the magnesium has cut down the number of migraines I am getting....this is my season and so far have only had two. Fingers crossed. And also their intensity.

I'm off...still have a few things to do before we leave....Waving to y'all :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”