Fun Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Fun Friday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 am

Go have fun.

Don't mind me, I'll be slaving away here.

But you, you didn't let things pile up so you can go off and have some fun today!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Fun Friday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:34 am

From last night:

LadyM:

I was thinking of a light tarp over the new car. People here often do that to make snow/ice clean up quicker but it works for birds too.

We've had amazing success with the $2 shiny owl cutout hanging in the bedroom window. Since putting it in we have not had a pigeon on our bedroom ledge or on the balcony beside our bedroom. At first we thought it might be weather but then we saw them flying up to the ledge above us, so they are avoiding our ledge. How about a stuffed cat lying on the roof of the car?

Re: Dh's green stripe

He put one in his hair last fall when he had the two conferences (Barcelona and Brussels.) It caused a lot of reaction from attendees and proved a ground-breaker for conversations during coffee breaks and receptions. He did it so people would remember him from the the sea of grey-haired presenters. It seems to have worked, his profile is now extremely high both in his older technology and this block-chain stuff. So I've authorized it for the Miami conference and Toronto standards meeting. Since he pays to have it done professionally and it is permanent, it costs a fortune to do but it makes him happy and he earns good money when he's actually working on a paid project, so even if he gets just an hour of consulting out of this, we'll be ahead financially. I need to ask if I can deduct this as an advertising expense.

The downside this time is that it will still be in his hair when he goes to Africa in June and we are worried about cultural implications. I've suggested he have our hair stylist cut his hair shorter than usual and maybe that will work. The downside to cutting really short (actually shaving, I think) is that our niece's wedding is the night before he leaves so he'll look odd in the photos for that. Besides, knowing dh, he'll want to show it off to his extended family.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:42 am

I'm up (obviously) and the smell is still in the apartment in rooms without windows and faintly in our bedroom. Every window is open so it is cool in here (the low last night was in the 40s) except for our bedroom (we kept the door closed and put a cloth across the bottom so cool breeze didn't make it in.) I could smell something all night long but it got better as the night went on. I suspect it is coming in through dh's bathroom vent. My bathroom (beside his) is currently unusable because I left the door closed all night to contain the smell (we can't in his bathroom - no door.) I'll put the fan on and open the door before I take my shower.

I'm overwhelmed with the number of things I have to do. I won't likely see dgs until next Friday. Which will make it almost 2 weeks. It isn't even as if I can go to his place to work (to avoid the smell) - I need to be here.

As soon as dh and I are both dressed for the day, I'll phone in the smell. If I had to guess, some workman left a can of paint open in a bathroom or kitchen and closed the apartment windows he was working on. If it is this strong here, it must be overwhelming where the source is (they often seal off apartment doors from the outside to contain the smell after refinishing a floor, but this smells more like paint.)

We have an artist who lives below us but I haven't smelled anything from her in the 3.5 years we've both been here so unless she's tried something new, this is a building thing. Besides, it shouldn't be this strong if she's trying to air out her place. Her studio is below our guest bedroom so that would explain why the smell is so strong in that part of the apartment, except that doesn't explain why the rest of the apartment smelled so strongly last night (including the farthest corner of our kitchen.)

I just realized they are refinishing the roof of the building next to us so our building exhaust system could have sucked in that smell except it doesn't explain why it smelled so strong all night long. Again, the smell should have dissipated.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:01 am

Hoping your smell is lessening, Kathryn.

But you, you didn't let things pile up so you can go off and have some fun today!
HAAA!!!!Who did you assume you were talking to btw? Surely not us. :lol: Never could happen == pile up that is.

Boy! Did I ever sleep! Yay for me. It was 11 before I hit the bed, read for just a bit. Didn't get up until 4/4:30. Woke up again about 6:45 and took my t-med and decided to lie in bed for the 1/2 hour till I could take the rest of my meds. Barely could get my eyes opened anyway. When I awoke again it was 9:22. I'm now s2s, meds done. Before I eat I've decided I need to go take at least a short walk outside. I need, need, need to change things up if I'm EVER going to lose weight.

Just thinking about some blocks at dsisil's that are driving me crazy. They have some blocks with one candle in the midst that spell "believe". But it's right across from me when we sit at their dining room table to chat and it is spelled: "b e l e I v e". :lol: I had to separate the letters because to spell it wrong, it kept autocorrecting to the right way. Durn, I should have switched them yesterday when I was there waiting for them to come for about 30 minutes. They'll probably never notice but at least it won't drive me crazy.

My phone should arrive today. dd and I plan to go to A T T tonight to have them set it up and then go to the Village Inn for dinner. I plan to do careful choosing.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 am

bringing out my castanets to join the party!

d katryn I wish we could all bring the party to you and help you!
so cute about your dh's green stripe, especially since he wants to show it off to his family.
I am sorry you are having an odor from the paint or shellac

hi dee! oh my gosh you are too funny!
I am thrilled you slept!!!
:lol: about the b e l e l v e - it must have driven you crazy - it would have for myself.

Have a great day you two and have a great day everyone!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:35 am

yesterday was really fun. Dh enjoyed the whole thing. We went to the broadcasting museum and the SNL exhibit (which I didn't think I would enjoy but I did). Dh loved seeing the tv he had as a child' as well as, the old radios. I have to think of another outing in 2 weeks. He is enjoying these field trip dates.

dd had a good lunch and "may" be taking pictures for this man on his boat with his crew while sailing (he said he would but I tend to wait until it really happens). She ended up with a really bad headache and body pain but she did have a good day.

I went over points, (WW), yesterday - not on impulse but trying to find things out - I ordered a salad and I forgot to ask them to leave the salad dressing on the side. I also ordered a soup and it turned out filled with cheese and cream. I also had some guacamole last night with a couple chips. I have to plan better when I go out. It's only one day 8-) :D I have 5 days before my meeting and I will just have to be strict to my points and plan.

My scary card: How's that working card came up today: (where I have to be honest with myself :o 8-) :D )

gym - not getting there
home blessing (splitting it up - is working very well right now)
clutter checks (still not doing them - I totally forget) I put the timer on in my phone for 3 times a day - lets see what happens
eating at home - Not cooking in the morning and waiting for the last minute is not working. I tend to be a perfectionist for cooking and need to change that all or nothing thinking.
round robin - is slowly making a dent.
my BWP and ZONES are really hard even at 15 minutes at a time but I am working hard on them.

what's really working, even though hard work, is doing one heavy cleaning work in the kitchen a week. I don't know why but my kitchen can get to be my dirtiest room in the house.

for now: (you never know when it is going to change)
doing the plan is giving me a full day off for fun because it helps me.
I also have Sunday as my family and me day.
I also get errands done
having Saturday for repair and work on my continuing living room project has really made a difference. It is taking a long time but the progress is good. Sometimes I do 15 minutes during the week but this last 2 weeks I have only been able to do Saturdays.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 am

I've s2s and tidied the bedroom and kitchen. Got dh one piece of information he needs and answered another question.

Now to focus?

Smell in living room in non-existent but it is cold in here, below 70. The bedroom is still toasty warm (sun on the windows) and stinky. I have all the bathroom fans on to help clear out the smell or block it from coming in that way. It only helps, it isn't perfect. I've closed the laundry room door and sealed off the kitchen exhaust vent so that is controlling what comes into that room. It's another cold room because the wind is from the north-west (the directions we have windows in that room.) Outside temp is 50 so the fact the living room is in the high 60s is a testament to how much heat is belching through the radiators. I don't have the fans on the radiators on. I could, I suppose and make the living room a bit more manageable.

Next up, call management and see if they have an estimated time for this to end.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am

have a great day d kathryn!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 am

Good morning! It's Friday and payday, so that is good. My original plan was to call a friend for dinner. My new plan as of 5 minutes ago is to find someone to fix my glasses. The hinge broke. It is now taped up like the geek that I am. Still no word from the surgeon's office. They said allow 48 hours and that was up yesterday. Of course, their scheduler does not work Fridays. <SIGH> If I don't hear from them, I will ask the referring doctor to ping them.

I had a call about a cat yesterday. She is on our website as being my foster, because that is the plan, but she is not here yet. It will be funny if she, too, finds a home before her arrival.

DD16 and I went to Hobby Lobby, then the expensive Chinese place yesterday. She asked me if I would mind if the x supplied most of the youth dinner Sunday. Object to someone taking on most of the work on a day that I am so over committed it's almost impossible? No, I think I'm ok with it! Saturday evening, I will assemble the salad and make lots of rice.

After the glasses fix, I must hit the grocery store then a fabric store for thread. If there is time, I can even start the rice tonight. LOL run is essential. LOL put away has been put off long enough too.

Do I understand Kathryn correctly? The cell phone provider only uses twitter for customer service? That would make me switch ASAP.

Do I understand LadyMaverick correctly? To drive a car now requires a phone app? Are people who don't have/want smart phones no longer allowed on the road? One more thing to break!

Also for LadyMaverick: DD needs to talk to HER OWN attorney about whether it is a good idea to divorce. That person can tell her the legal and financial repercussions TO HER of her not so DH.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am

I changed out wardrobe stuff yesterday and need to put a few more things away, made bed. Got a couple more rocks painted. I swept. Did not put that away did not want to ruin any more clothes. Last weekend stained one shirt w butter and cannot get it put have tried a couple things g r -r. I have allergy issues lilacs are in bloom. skipping the festival not so fun to be outside.are too much yexyerday bs was up. Need to keep moving. Catch you all later . . .
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”