Sunday Reflecting

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Sunday Reflecting

Postby Harriet » Sun May 06, 2018 7:44 am

We're about to start a new week. What will you reflect on today, to set priorities, and remind yourself of important things?

Do we need to reflect on cards, preparations and plans and see where the corners of our households need to be tugged into place? :)

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Sunday Reflecting

Postby DeeClutter » Sun May 06, 2018 8:50 am

I have things I need to get done before I leave for church -dishes which I didn't do last night. So will have breakfast and then will do up those. There's not a lot. Would like to get at least 5 sheets scanned this morning before I go.

We're going to a Chinese buffet after church for our "Mother's Day" outing for church. I'm only going today as some of our best friends are going. And it's also our new minister and wife's first day with us and I'm sure they'll be going. So looking forward to this even though I will only be there 3 Sundays.

We plan to leave here the 25th. DD is due in Sanford about 3:15 today. Sure she hates leaving. They've had a very busy weekend trying to get set up and especially with the extreme winds and rain. Glad you're through 'swaying', Kathryn. Know dh said our RV was doing the same. It's scary when winds are 60 & 70 mph!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:15 am

hope winds stop hitting our beloved ones here!

D harriet - thank you for starting us... I always love seeing your smiling face first thing in the morning.

D Dee a very good morning! I will be thinking of your sweet dd! have a wonderful time on your mothers day luncheon after church!

hello everyone!!! Wishing you a wonderful day!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:25 am

I have to reflect on physical fitness, working on the garden to get plants in, (even with the continuing rain :D ), reflect on how to handle another growing pain with dh's family growing away from the in laws and our kids (hitting dd younger the hardest) (finding our place - family has always been our friends but that is changing;-for dd younger, her cousins and constant time with them, have been her world - reflect on gratefulness and happiness even with change, reflect on the positive and what I can control, reflect on summer ideas and goals. (remember d mom will be here)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:27 am

setting up week is next-journal/card file/health planning - today is a free creative day -

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun May 06, 2018 9:32 am

It is solo Sunday for me so I need to reflect on what I need to get done during this solo week.

Much on this week, two appointments, one requiring preparation, one will result in to-dos. Many other items that need my attention and as usual no focus to them at all so lots of transition time between tasks as I fight my ADD.

My ADD is in full blow today because there is a city-wide bike race today going by under my window so I'm listening to people cheering on the bike riders. Solid horns at the moment from the cars backed up by the police as thousands of riders go through the intersection. If you are stuck there anyway you may as well honk lightly to cheer them on.

I keep trying to turn that energy into cheers for me as I reflect on my tasks this week!

I ignored housework (not tidying but housework) all last week so there's crunching under my feet while I walk. That is becoming top priority because that feel/sound distracts me from whatever I should be doing when I move from place to place in the apartment.

There's a box full of tempered glass bits on the balcony which weighs about 50 pounds (almost the whole table top is in that box so it is also a dense weight!) This has to be dealt with before rain comes and the box disintegrates and we have to clean up the glass one more time. There are still bits of glass within the tile cracks and dh figures he'll have to lift each tile to get the glass under/between. I'll start by borrowing a shop vac (either from the super or dd) and get what I can cleaned up. It is safe to walk out there in shoes now.

(I'm debating using the glass in the bottom of pots and planters to give them weight for future wind storms.)

In other maintenance/repair work, I have to empty our parking spot for Friday morning while our side of the parking garage is being pressure washed. That means relocating dh's bike and bike rack to the opposite side of the parking garage (we have a friend who has an x-large spot we use for this since the bike doesn't fit in the bike room) and loading the winter tires into the car along with the tire rack although dh has said I can leave them there if I can't get ds to help with that. I'll also have to get up early and move the car out of the garage to the street and then move it every 3 hours through the day.

I have the year-end books to finish by Wednesday. Ideally by tomorrow night so that any questions can be sent to dh and answered before Wednesday morning.

I'm preaching up the Valley next week so that means a major sermon needs to be written as well as some prayers. Plus I'm working with a church secretary so my timing isn't my own.

Like Blessed, there's my own health to attend to this week. I stopped logging my food for the past few days and averaged under 5K steps a day as I sat and did computer work day in and day out. I have a week with almost complete control of my food so I need to make this count before going away for a week a travel.

I need to pack for the trip starting on Saturday. First up the Valley to preach, then into Toronto for 5 days while dh is at a conference.

I need to still work on the Trust closing and small tasks for the Residents Association. The latter are not overly time consuming but it is the switching my mind over to the new task that makes it difficult.

I'm really noticing the effect of switching between tasks now. I think each switch takes closer to an hour before I'm productive (housework and errands being the exception since that is mostly physically and my mind can still be working on the previous task.) An interruption will take me 20 minutes to recover from but a complete 'move to the next thing' is a huge problem for me these past weeks.

In the past I would schedule an hour or two on one item, then switch it up to keep from getting bored/overwhelmed. Now the loss of productivity if I stay on a task is measured against the loss of time if I switch a task. Beethoven is helping me stay focused but each CD is only about 50 minutes of music (and the quality of streaming is simply not good enough to my ear.) So then there's the interruption of getting up to change CDs. That's the downside to getting rid of the 5-CD component of the sound system since we could stream music and seldom listen to music that way. That was true in the house but I've changed since moving to the apartment.

Anyway, there are my reflection. Now it is time for me to go plan my week ahead. I did a bit of planning last night while waiting for the play to begin.

Dh and I enjoyed the play last night. The next one is June 8 and he won't be here so I was thinking of a friend to take with me. I decided on one from the building. Then I ran into her at the play last night! She already has a season pass with four other people (I'm on a modified pass so not the same seats/nights for each run.) My next play is the same night as hers so I'll at least have friends to visit with before and after which is nice and we'll try and think of someone to bring with us from the building. Actually, I just realized someone I'd like to invite so will add that to my todo list for the week.

Dh left at 4 a.m. this morning and is on a plane to Miami at the moment. He'll have this afternoon to nap, is going out to dinner with the conference organizers and then has a full week of presenting and meetings ending with am MLB baseball game on Thursday night. He gets home at supper time on Friday but is flying in from Chicago so that might not be set in stone due to delays. I just had to research that because it isn't in the calendar but his outbound calendar entry had the reservation number so I could look it up.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 am

I'm really noticing the effect of switching between tasks now. I think each switch takes closer to an hour before I'm productive (housework and errands being the exception since that is mostly physically and my mind can still be working on the previous task.) An interruption will take me 20 minutes to recover from but a complete 'move to the next thing' is a huge problem for me these past weeks.
Kathryn I am exactly the same way. it takes awhile to get my brain focused again.

hoping today is a really good day for you! hope your dh has a great trip d kathryn too.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:52 am

I did my basic weekly planning
looked at my week and figured out calls and errands and appointments

pulled the weekly kitchen card for some time this week: wash down the kitchen table and chairs well

May is believing in myself and be kind to myself (no negativity - as much as possible - it used to be a horrible habit but it is getting better over the years)

pulled my zone cards:
FL is kitchen
I add laundry room in there

Laundry room cards pulled for their week:
1. clean wire shelves in closet
2. clean screen outside door and to garage door well

Our site in CLEANING FOCUS- ZONE- (THANK YOU D HARRIET)
OUTSIDE - BC IT RAINED TONS LAST WEEK I HAVE TO WORK ON THE POOL THIS WEEK. (ABOVE GROUND)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Six new visitors today in church - looked like a group of college-age friends randomly decided to come together though they knew no one. I introduced myself and said exams and graduation were keeping our 4 members of their age away at univ today, and that was a smile-getter, with one young man telling me he was so sick of exams, lol! Hope that explained to them why they saw all kids and old folks, lol.

By surprise, I ended up announcing both a baby shower and thanks/acknowledgment for the luncheon yesterday. That was fine - happens sometimes when you're the one in front of a convenient mic. My only "rule" given by pres of women of the church was name no names of those who worked so hard, and I obeyed. (Had I done so, she would have had to figure prominently, and she wanted none of that!)

Oh, so sorry the in Canadas must deal with all that broken glass. An exciting race day just below the windows today - yes, just think of the cheering/beeping as the good will of others spreading out, and bask in it! :D

Headache is grating at me behind my eyes - I assume pollen has just forced it's way into my day today. The "on-edge" feeling makes me squint and I can get a squint-y outlook too, if I'm not careful! :x :? I may take something for this pain. :idea:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 06, 2018 12:59 pm

I saw a quote - or if it wasn't already, I now am giving it quotation status.

"There should be a calorie refund
for things that didn't taste as good as you expected."

Yes.
I need those back, please.

Return to “Post When You Can”