best words of advice you have heard Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: best words of advice you have heard Wednesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Kathryn!!

And (((bw2))) been there. So sad. I think you have labs? Fourteen is a ripe old age.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed May 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Good advice I have received…

My dmom always has said,
“If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all,” and has tried her best to convince me that
“You don’t HAVE to tell EVERYTHING you know.” (Not because she encourages me to lie by omission, but because she knows that sometimes I feel it necessary to tell things that will just cause unnecessary concern on the part of dh, ds, etc.)
Dmom also says, “Sometimes what we think is the worst thing that could possibly happen, turns out to be the best thing that could have happened.”

My maternal grandmother used to tell me constantly that “Pretty is as pretty does.”

My paternal grandmother always said someone (most likely my dgfather) “could get glad in the same britches he got mad in.”

Dmom’s advice above is similar to some of my very favorite advice, given here and credited to Harriet’s dmom: “Just because somebody needs to hear something, that doesn’t mean you have to be the one to tell them.”

I love the one about “not my circus, not my monkeys,” too, Twins!

Oh! And how could I forget a phrase of my dmil’s that I will always have in my mind:
“What you want isn’t always what’s best for you.”

I definitely think of my dmom as the woman described in Proverbs 31… and as Ellen O’Hara, as described in Gone with the Wind.

Elizabeth, I am so glad to hear you do not have celiac! And I LOVE the advice you received from Cathy re: what to tell the x! I don’t know if I can stand waiting to hear what his response is. Please do tell him!

LadyM (((BIG HUGS))) – you DEFINITELY had to eat when you did. Don’t have any second thoughts about that!

(((HUGS))) for blessed’s ddog

And for (((Kathryn))) with the flat tire trouble! But OOOHHH!!! How exciting re: dd's phone call!!!

I think Lovely is a lovely name for a pet cricket…

So, we skipped church too. I wonder if dgs was supposed to be doing something for ddil in his class tonight? He had a card from school to give her, so if he’s a week late with whatever from church, that will be okay, I guess. We plan to go to church at my dmom’s church Sunday. DH said, “I just don’t think she’s going to make it, and then what are we going to do? We will have already missed our own service…” I said, “Well, if that’s the case, we’ll just go have brunch somewhere, and if dbro wants to join us, he can come too.”
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed May 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Oh -- I meant to tell you, LadyM -- I tried to follow your plan of mapping out/listing the hours for today.
As you can see from my What Was Planned/What Happened post, things didn't follow the list very well, but it DID help me see what I had time for, and that there IS time enough if I just put my mind to it.

I still have to
[x] wash dishes & s/s the kitchen
[x] hang up the last load of clothes
[x] put sheets on the bed
[x] called dmom to discuss what-to-do re: flowers for funeral tomorrow

and I would like to
[ ] vacuum the master bedroom & bath
[ ] do 15 minutes each (trying to catch up on the zones)
-- [x] kitchen
-- [x] dining room

(dusted high/low, spot cleaned window blinds)
-- [ ] guest room

* EDITING to SAY "DONE" :D
Last edited by lucylee on Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm

5, 6, 7, 8...

Congrats on having to cancel your trip so far in advance!!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 pm

CathyS wrote:5, 6, 7, 8...

Congrats on having to cancel your trip so far in advance!!

LOL!!!

That's the weird part of this process, we know so much sooner! Of course, we are still subject to the same scary numbers for miscarriages. So I might want to keep that reservation for another 3 months, then cancel! I was saying that we needed to get dgs used to sleeping over with us. Then realized we have 6 months before we have to start introducing that and by then he'll be 30% older so likely even more mature.

I'm very pleased though. Teared up in the restaurant. No emails or texts from dh so I guess he hasn't called her yet. Last time he found out he was in Africa. Funny how we're never together when we get the news.

The table I went for was really small. There's another one that I like more that is a better size but it doesn't fold up small. So I debated with myself and then discovered it is whacky Wednesday and the table and 2 chairs were on sale for $70 off the already low price. So I picked up two! I had been planning to buy a side bistro table but I can leave one of these set up for that and the other closed. When we want to have a crowd in, we can put the tables side by side and I think we'll be able to seat 6 - 8. The chairs are smaller than my old chairs and also fold so we can tuck them away behind a planter when not being used and bring them out when we have guests.

Ds will come over for supper and IKEA assembly tomorrow. He's at his furniture building class tonight. Two days a week he's doing woodworking. I'm really impressed with how much he loves it.

Last week I said, "I thought you could build me a cross for a table altar but then I need it quickly." He asked what I wanted and came over the next day with a cross for me to use. So I'm benefiting from his course. Plus I love that he's following in my Dad's steps.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Will pray for a safe journey for all of you, Kathryn. Know it's early, but so glad she finally was able to share with you.

Several years ago now my best friend died in her sleep. Yesterday, her son -one of my favorite kids to watch grow up, also died in his sleep. I'm trying to wrap my head around it. He was 39.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Hey
Such nice news
Sitting waiting for third dorm room clean out load
Will be four loads tonight
Someone must accompany car so bored and otherwise useless

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Dee I'm so sorry to hear this news

Rudeness prevails here tonight
Nerves on edge at move out time

We will be back tomorrow with bigger crowds

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 pm

(((Dee))) How sad.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed May 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Oh, (((Dee))) -- that is so sad. Prayers for your dfriend and his family.

(((Harriet))) -- hang in there!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”