Wondering Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Wondering Wednesday

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Elizabeth - I think you are the only person who knows how much pain is involved with your foot. If it is too painful to enjoy vacation then you know your choices are very limited.

I just tried using Khan with DS9 again. It is highly recommended. However, it was a total failure. After 15 minutes he was in tears. I think Khan is a wonderful learning site and totally free, but the learning style just doesn't work for DS9. I'm a tiny bit frustrated because one of my top curricula picks that we have successfully used the past 2 years switches to using Khan in 5th grade. I am going to have to find something else to replace it.

Time to pick DGD6 up from school for the very last time this year. Saying goodbye to 1st Grade. Public School is officially out here.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed May 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me, Elizabeth. Sorry you have to have surgery, though, at any time. Wonderful you have no roof leaks finally. You should be proud of yourself.

Everybody sounds so busy today.

Yikes, either tropical storm or tropical depression coming this weekend. 0% chance of hurricane so I'm not worried. Officials are saying this will take us out of drought concern, finally. I plan to put my feet up and watch the rain. Yeah. Right.

Whole morning wasted. Cut / paste stuff and forms and etc. etc. from all that work the other day, but I'm finally done with what I can do. At least I got my dailies done.

And lest anyone give me more credit than I am due, I know nothing about truck wiring. All I know is to "screw this screw", hand this tool, find the washer that fell into an inch of dirt and sand on the floor, hold the flashlight etc. etc. Y'all don't know how much I hate this stuff.

Kathryn, it's a good thing you're not trying to support yourself with all the work you do!

Schools are out here this week too. Youth group has its last meeting tonight. I will not have to rush dinner time for DH on Wednesdays until the fall.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 23, 2018 1:18 pm

I just realized this might be my solution for doing school with DS9 while DGD6 is here. I can have her do Khan. I think she will like it. There will be no competition or comparison since DS9 doesn't want anything to do with Khan.

My Lunch is :
Protein = 4 oz Fish (salmon)
Fat = 2 oz avocado
Carb = 4 oz sweet potato
Veg raw = 6 oz mix of celery, tomatoes, carrots
Veg Cooked = 6 oz mix of Broccoli, cauliflower, beans, onions, peppers.
1. Know what you want.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 pm

I got home and had lunch and I'm having a hard time getting started.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Done with DD's and Costco. I had a good time with dgs and dd. We went to the library for the end of baby story time. Dgs isn't enrolled in it because he aged out of it but he isn't walking so is still allowed to go for the singing at the end.

That said, he did a fair bit of walking today after it was over so I am begrudgingly agreeing he might be walking.

I had an emergency email to write after lunch. Dgs got into my lunch bag at the door and took out the goldfish crackers and took them to his high chair! Then we took him for a drive in the car since he's been asking for one for a long time. Dd picked up a used Chromecast so she can put on children's tv for him when she is sick. Which is often.

My day will start when we get home so that's why I am posting from the car.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm

DGD6 and DS9 are playing with the Lincoln Logs. They are quite happy with their creativeness in building things. Over and over.

I took another look at CTCMath and also the Math-U-See curriculums. Although both are highly rated and well-liked among the homeschool forums I frequent. However, both of those curriculums have the video teaching which puts DS9 to sleep. He mentally shuts down and his learning goes to nil. So....scratching them off of the possible Math curriculum for next year.

I planted another section of grass. I can only do a patch at a time because my arms get tired from first prepping the ground before I plant the seed and water it in.

I also made baby step progress on the porch project. This started off to just be painting the porch post but keeps expanding. I've decided to replace the porch light (DH will do it as soon as I find one that I like). In the meantime, I've asked DH to remove the porch light so I can paint the decorative plaque the light is attached. I was taping off the plaque so I could start painting it when a mud dobber flew up and showed me it has a nest near it. I'll get some spray to get rid of the flying insects and then I can continue my taping in prep of painting that area.
1. Know what you want.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi!

I went to the stitching (knitting) group and talk got around to politics. It didn't get ugly, but Ford was compared to 45 to the south of us. There is an election coming up soon for Ontario.

After that one of the other ladies and I wondered over to the town west of us for a lunch that helps provide money to a charity in some way. I don't know how, but lunch is only $10. Next month it's going up to $12 for the first month in many years. It was well worth it. There were 6 people at our table and one man had a suntan to rival that actor whose name I can't remember right now. George Hamilton? His wife didn't say a word all during lunch and he didn't say much either. The only other man at the table did enough talking for everyone.

We are having left over penne with meat sauce for supper tonight.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 23, 2018 4:54 pm

I am just feeling jumpy as a cat right now. I've been working on the business plan for the Pro Gen assignment and I just hate doing it, for whatever reason. Uncertainty? Because I'd rather be doing research, writing, almost anything else?

I need to change clothes for dinner out and baseball game. I am hoping it's not a late night. I am not making great progress on my list for "before the beach" and am adding more than I'm checking off.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 pm

So nothing done since getting home. At least nothing on my list.

1. Noted the power wasn't off in the apartment. Turned out it was only the elevators and hall lights and I had misread the notice. We could have stayed home.

2. Noted my bathroom toilet was running. Turns out the water was off and that kicks up sediment and then the ball cock/compressed air thingy clogs. These are high tech, low water use, toilets which the super hates but he fixed it (fourth so far today) and then replaced all the aerators in the taps in the bathroom because they were clogged. We had no idea, we thought the sinks were slow like in the kitchen. He tried to fix the kitchen sink but couldn't.

3. Picked up the mail from the mail room and visited with people in the lobby.

4. Talked with dfs for an 45 minutes. He's being trying to get ahold of me since Mother's Day. They'll be up in a month and so we talked baby stuff (their due date is dgs' birthday) and I found out his ship is in refit and he's on medical leave for his knee so there's no risk he'll have to go to sea before the baby is born.

I'll wait and see how much they are given at the baby shower (July 2) and then make sure they have at least one of the big things they need (stroller, car seat or high chair.) They've picked a very expensive stroller ($750 which is 50% more than the one I bought dd) so I will try and get it used. There are three for sale used here this week so I'll hope the same is true after the shower if they don't get a new one.

We have a residents' association event tonight so it is time for dinner.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 23, 2018 6:21 pm

DS9 and DGD6 have spent the last 2 hours playing outside with 3 neighborhood kids. I spent the time outside working in the yard and garden so I could hear and watch them playing. I brought them inside to cool down, get cleaned up and eat dinner. Church starts in 45 minutes.

I've made the decision to switch churches on Wednesday night. I really struggled with this decision because this means the kids and I are attended separate church from DH. I talked it over with DH and he agrees it is the best decision for now. DH will continue to attend our church and cook for our church family on Wednesday nights. I will take the kids to a local church that has an awesome children program. I think the benefits to the kids outweigh the angst of attending a different church than DH. This decision to attend separate churches is only for Wednesday nights. For now, I am only thinking of doing this for the summer. We will continue to attend our church on Sunday's together as a family.
1. Know what you want.

Return to “Post When You Can”