Saturday in the School of Hard Knocks

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Saturday in the School of Hard Knocks

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 am

Ultimately, all of us get an education that comes from real world experiences, especially tough ones. There's a lot to learn :) especially for homemakers, who are getting the Jack-or-Jill-of-All-Trades degree!

Homemakers seem to find ourselves sitting at the front of the class when the School of Hard Knocks starts offering advanced studies. :shock: We get an added course load because we take responsibility for the others around us! But remembering those tough lessons is gonna keep us from making future mistakes, and we can pass on some practical knowledge to the next generation or next.

What did you learn from hard knocks that gave you help for your household, then and now?

Have you had a recent refresher course?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday in the School of Hard Knocks

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:25 am

I used my hard knocks education many times yesterday.

First, I didn't plan to do anything that interested me. I was with a toddler and the point was to enjoy time with him, not explore my interests in a far away city. I was also with my little girl, so the point was to enjoy time with her, and let her enjoy her time in a far away city.

At lunch we talked about how we could not have had the same sort of day in our own city, she would have not allowed herself that much time away from home or allowed his schedule to be as broken up. Plus she wanted real French food which we were enjoying as we chatted!

Second, we over planned so left over half the possibilities undone. That was important.

Third, I knew to put in dgs' order at the restaurant as soon as that was decided, even though we still weren't sure what to have ourselves. She thanked me 3x for that. It was 2 in the afternoon, he had had breakfast at 7 and two small snacks in between so I knew he was hungry so getting him 'real food' (as opposed to raisins and cheerios) was high priority.

Fourth, I knew I'd be eating when dd told me to eat, so adjusted my expectations accordingly and ate whenever the opportunity arose. That I learned from our trip to Toronto. Dh and I didn't learn that until it was too late on the drive down (the drive back was just fine - it ties into lesson 1, dgs is all that counts, give up your own expectations!) I had lots of snacks with me so I could eat while walking behind the stroller (therefore he wouldn't see) but instead I ate when they ate. Dd had two breakfasts but was amazed I ate a sausage McMuffin then (giving dgs half my english muffin.) That worked out to a snack at 9 and lunch at 2. Wouldn't have happily made it that far if I had not eaten when the opportunity arose even if eating McD in Montreal seemed sacrilegious!

All these lessons I'd learned over the years as a mom and day care provider. An annual train trip was one of our day care field trips each year, taking the one hour ride into the city from a town 30 minutes from our home, picnic lunch at the station and take the train back. We never left the train station but I knew there was enough of interest to make it a good trip and the older kids looked forward to it each year. We'd do it during the spring break so I had all the older kids to help with the little ones (i.e. watch the others while I did potty breaks.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 am

I was in bed 11 hours, slept 10 although I woke frequently in the night. The a/c was cycling on and off and I'd often wake up to the fan noise. On the other hand, I slept later because the blinds were drawn so no light and the windows shut, so no birdsong or traffic noise.

I'm on the balcony on my laptop. It is the perfect temperature. The day was to be hot and sunny and started out warm and sunny but it has clouded over.

Today is the Italian Festival so that's the activity for dd, dsil and dgs today. The Italian sector of our city is two neighbourhoods over (about 3 miles, 2 transit stops away.) So I emailed dd that they could bring dgs over if he needs a quiet time to nap and just leave him with me and return to the festival. I'm wondering if dd even has the energy to go after yesterday.

I have the sermon to write and music to source, but I think that's my only requirements for the day. I have a sermon spark, so that will help. This is my last service with them so I'll put in more effort than usual.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 am

d harriet I loved this!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 am

Holding my breath for J&C reports from bw2 and LadyM. The are both heavy on my mind today.

I've walked the ddog, dh is at Torah study and I have some free time. Working on presentation for next Saturday. Eeeeck! I am really doing this?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 am

I think maybe it's too broad a subject, though, blessed! I keep thinking of a "hard knock lesson" I would mention, and then think of another and say to myself, that one taught me more!
"Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills." - Minna Antrim

How many really good stories can be ended, "And so I'll never do THAT again!" ;)

Pest-lessons taught me a great deal when I was a young homemaker - some embarrassing "hard knocks" that have served me well. I clean my kitchen in the evenings, specifically to create a less hospitable place for pests, during the hours they think they can get the run of the place! P and P gave some tips that helped me (running the dishwasher as the last thing before you turn out kitchen light, for instance.) I even try to leave surfaces dry to keep water sources unavailable. (that's hard, though) Mice, especially, are teachers of responsibility. :idea:

We learn from others' hard knocks if we are thoughtful listeners. Any watermelon unattended on a table is suspect in my world.

One of the hardest knocks I ever took was the loss of my late dh after 22 years of marriage. That's when I found out that a loved one can actually be gone, and the chances to do and say all the kind things we plan to over future years are gone, too. I knew it in my head, but that put it into my heart. Part of the wisdom that got knocked into my head turned into determination to give a clean slate every day to loved ones.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Todays lesson labeled his dad's wedding ring so others will know who's it was.

I am having a better morning found my other ear ring got them together and am wearing them now.

H is sorting stuff. Eggs are cooling to devil for the Father's day gathering. Deviled eggs are done. I need to get veg. For it. Nope had em here already! Yea.

I painted some rocks.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:37 pm

I don't think I've moved from the chair since the last time I posted. I really have to go to the bathroom! And my tummy says it is well past lunch time.

I've uploaded my day-trip pictures to a google album and posted a link in MO if you are interested.

I've chatted with dh (who is starting to feel better.) He'll be leaving in 2 weeks. I need to get stuff done around here.

I haven't done the thing I have to do so will get at that after lunch.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:47 pm

I am doing normal things but with my mind somewhere else. It is like doing things while in a dream.

I'm doing the normal care of DS9 and DGD7. Feeding, watering, providing structured play time and free time. They are playing Lego video game now. One of the things they don't normally do but it is saved as a treat for bad weather days or days when I need a distraction for them. It is a digital babysitter.

I'm doing my routines. Personal care. Kitchen routine. Laundry routine. Company ready rooms routine. All done.

I've made a dozen hard boiled eggs and a big bowl of chicken salad.

I've shown DGS21 how to repot a HUGE ivy plant and create several plants from it. Then after feeding DGS21 lunch, I sent the newly potted plants home with him.

I've visited with DD when she stopped by to give the kids hugs. DGD7 hasn't seen her Mom since Wednesday night.

I've taken multiple phone calls from concerned friends and family. I've replied to several messages and posted updates to the church FB group.

Just doing the next thing. I wish the next thing was climbing into bed and pulling the covers over my head and ignoring the world. But it isn't so .........I'll just do the next thing while reminding myself to count my many blessings. One at a time.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:37 pm

((LadyM))

I'm sorry to hear Ken in the math classroom has spent so much of his time there feeling unwell. I hope the rest of the time is stellar.

Desk Day here for the church. I have transposed, reconciled, compiled and even printed out the info for the bulletin board, which I have in my traveling bag/file for tomorrow. Now time to balance the spreadsheet and report all this. It would be cool if that could be at a reasonable hour tonight. Most months can't be handled by this time of the next month, but May was simpler than usual. I have to choose between two problems - I don't want to spoil people making them think it can always be done by now, BUT the way Sundays fall this month, I'll benefit from having this into others' hands before tomorrow.

HRH and dstepson are fretting over lug nuts and why the tractor tires are losing them somehow. I'm not getting into it.

I've also planted a bush. So hot that I actually needed to recuperate afterward - whew.

Return to “Post When You Can”