Torn apart Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Torn apart Tuesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 am

I am torn apart.

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." There's a Biblical phrase for you.

Just in case you aren't Christian, here's what other people of faith hold as a basic tenet

"Ever mind the rule of three, what goes out comes back to thee."

"None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."

"A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated."

"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary."

"All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves. All is really One."

"Do not wrong or hate your neighbor. For it is not he who you wrong, but yourself."

"Do not to another what you would not yourself experience."

"Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do."

"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."

"For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill, the eyes of all people are upon us; so that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause Him to withdraw His present help from us, we shall shame the faces of many of God's worthy servants, and cause their prayers to be turned into curses . . ."—John Winthrop, aboard the Arbella, 1630.[3]

"The idea behind the phrase - of America as a special nation blessed by God - has burrowed so deeply into the American consciousness that some prominent religion scholars and pol-watchers say it is nearly obligatory during Presidential races."

"Since then, each American president has had his own city on the hill moment. For George Herbert Walker Bush, it was on the campaign trail when the city on the hill shined so bright it became 'a thousand points of light.' And Bill Clinton's nod to Winthrop was to adopt the Puritan's idea of 'covenant,' the notion that America has a special role in the eyes of God.

"Many scholars think George W. Bush had his city on a hill moment after September 11, 2001 when he framed the war against terror as a moral response, a mission blessed by God that the rest of the world would join in. 'America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world,' the president said in an address to the nation on Sept. 11, 2001. 'And no one will keep that light from shining.'

Your beacon has gone out extinguished not by outsiders but from within.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Despise others as you would have others despise you.

I will not stand in the shadow of the darkness; it is tearing me apart. Harriet's church home has now marginalized her and all women. My country. along with other countries who used to stand with the United States, has been marginalized. My prime minister told he'll occupy a special place in hell. Despots have been celebrated. It is not one person; it is deep darkness that has overcome the United States.

For now, I'm fleeing it for one minute for each child torn. No Facebook, other US based social media or regular media or podcasts. And no SHE village for me.

Twins' Mom

Re: Torn apart Tuesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:46 am

Ummmm, Kathryn. I'm not sure what to say. I can say unreservedly that many, if not most of us, agree with your position on separating families. I hate looking at Facebook right now with all information overload. I despise what is happening here in the U. S. as well and I live with it every day.

I despise what is happening at Harriet's church but I am not Harriet and it's not my place. (Not my circus, not my monkeys.) After being president for three years, and following two women presidents at my synagogue, I know we could not operate if only men were allowed to lead. It's hard enough finding good leadership without leaving out half your membership.

This board is a "safe" place for me. Although I glean bits and pieces about our villagers and their politics, I try to keep it out of our discussions. Because dh has clients with quite differing (read: very conservative) viewpoints, to say the least, I also try to keep it off the internet/Facebook. I'm not playing dumb. It hurts me to see what is happening. I can discuss it with friends with similar viewpoints, in safe, closed Facebook groups, and I don't like it.

But I still need you and all this little village that I've grown to love. I hope you'll reconsider and let us back in.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 am

Good morning, villagers ~
No time to cuop in the midst of summer craziness.
We have had a severe heat wave for several days. The rest of this week we are supposed to have storms every day.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go get groceries today. We don't urgently need anything ... but I'll already be out & about for a library staff meeting this afternoon. I might just stop by the TinyTown store for a few fill-in items. Things cost a lot more there, but I don't want to drive to TheBigCity in a thunderstorm.

Other than the meeting and a little shopping, my goals for today and tomorrow are to do laundry and declutter the living room. I haven't cleaned that room in a long time and it's bad.

I wrote the above before reading Kathryn's opening to this thread.
Dear Kathryn, I find the SHE village a place of calm when my country and the rest of the world are torn apart. Our members here are doing their best to take care of their families as kind, thoughtful people. We have all worked hard to encourage posts to have the same courtesy as if we are together at the same table talking face to face, with sincere intentions to remain friends even when we disagree on any particular topic. Please stay and help keep our site a gathering place for peaceful meetings.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:02 am

Kathryn's post has left me in tears for what is happening in our country.

I need a productive day today. I was up again at 7 before the alarm and I'm surprised it's not even nine a.m. yet. (talk about wasting time online!)

At 9:30 I need to call for a mani-pedi appt either this afternoon or first thing tomorrow a.m. I am pencilling in what needs to be done on each day the rest of the week. I should have done that yesterday instead of working on the outline and power point all day.

Harriet, my "speaking engagement" isn't until Saturday a.m.

Right now:
-pencil in lists for the rest of the week
-breakfast and meds
-refill meds containers
-walk the dog before it gets any hotter! :o
-s2s

Echoing Booksaver's wise words as well.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 am

I am so sorry that you are feeling torn apart Kathryn.
Sometimes, taking some time out for reflection is what is needed. Take the time you need, and I hope we see you again sometime soon.

Tonight I watched the final of Miriam's Big American Adventure - She spent time with all sorts of people with views, some very different from her own. Her conclusion was that most of those people were well worth meeting, and a few/one /two groups were so hate filled that she discontinued interaction.
Overall - that there was much that was hopeful within America.

For myself - there are some things that seem unconsonible , including with my own government's policy regards some of those in the 'let this be a lesson to others' group of unfortunates. . Ultimately, as the voting public, we have a responsibility to act justly in all this.
The cages for children only, and young ones left to care for other little traumatised unrelated children is heart wrenching.
We have had enquiry after enquiry into stolen generations, instiutional abuse, child 'orphan' migration, and the rest, and it seems the making of another horror story to me. It transmits perhaps generations of abuse way into the future.

And sometimes I wonder if a handmaid's tale is a tale of what will be. If certain views are left to fester.

Often I do not post as it seems all I have done is get from one end of the day to another.
If I can get to bed by midnight I'll count that as a win.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:27 am

I am out of the loop....more in j & c.. my apoligies for not putting that there earlier.

My kitchen is about to get torn apart as I become a better decluttrer, sorting out plates and dishes etc. that need to go.

It is less gloomy here with sun peeking out from behind the clouds. Rain has stopoed. My new lillies are bloomimg bright yellow in a pot in my portable garden.

I have renewed hope this morning. Got some cute bird rocks painted. Working on my morning stuff, bed is made sink is clean. Journaling underway.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 am

I have been bothered for quite a while about what has been going on in our little village. I understood we were not to bring politics and religion into this site, and religion things only on J&C so I have not replied to the many things I read that I do not agree with and take a different stance. I remember when others were censored for saying political things.

I have not voiced my opinion (much) about anything political or religion or especially other countries. I recognize that no country is perfect but we all have a love for our country and we are hit with ongoing hate here that feels like a slap on the face. I would not criticize Canada like the US is criticized. I have long felt it was not fair to abide by the forum rules while others do not.

I thought we were here to support each other in every day lives and our household things, not bring such discord into it. And by the way, there is a different stance on things if one would look at the facts and not just the rhetoric. I have taken the high road and not rebutted what I hear is not correct.

To say that our President is going to go to hell for trying to straighten out the trade deficit is just wrong.

This is the last I will say on any of these subjects. If the village website does not go back to what it was intended to be I will be gone too.

cats

Postby cats » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am

I totally agree with Harmony and the other two who have posted
I have kept quiet my understanding of this forum was to support the she who struggle to clean and organized their home and having someone to tell of what they accomplish .who will say way. To go.
We all love our country and it's sad that people seem to want to hate the United States . Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please research don't rely on what you hear on the news

I know lots of people are upset about the kids but one thing everyone forgets is their parents crossed the border without permission they were caught so sense they committed a crime their kids were separated . Just like anyone else in our county who commit a crime the parent goes to jail and our separate also

This is only time I will say anything
I hope this forum goes back to the way it was.
I hope everyone has a good day

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 am

Seems like there is as much division amongst the village as there is in the outside world. However what we share here is being caring and supportive towards each other.

Politics and religion has always had a way to divide us from one another. For that reason I only share my views with a select few. When the noise gets to loud from others I choose to listen and then turn it down when I don’t agree with what I am hearing.

For me there is wisdom in y’alls words. And I agree with most being said. However I am a child of the 60’s, and when reflecting back have seldom seen a world in harmony.

I can not change the world nor the people who run it. There have been leaders in my country I agree with and those I don’t. My focus is on my own little world ... I was taught to obey laws and believe in consequences when they are broken. I taught both my son and students the same.

I do come here for peace and friendship. I do not expect or believe everyone always feels the same and my beliefs so I seldom share them, but I do value y’alls thoughts and views.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:50 am

For the record, it was not our president who was said to be going to hell, it was a Trump advisor speaking about Justin Trudeau, the Canadian prime minister. And he apologized later.

I don’t want this to be an uncomfortable place for any of us. I have work to do. I want this to be a supportive and welcoming place, even tho we are all very different people.

Return to “Post When You Can”