Thursday Thimbles and Mending

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Thursday Thimbles and Mending

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 am

waving at d Lady and d Nancy!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am

On phone as the children play and watch TV. They are watching the richest of the "Ryan's toys" videos if you know the ones. Far beyond materialism. Dd19 has opinions about this, big time. :shock: . This is while they play here in/with the vacuum cleaner box! Sent photo to their dad.

Duct tape makes this a car, with paper plates for headlights. So a good use for mending supplies today so far!

Dd19 cleaning before arrival of friend driving in who will sleepover.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:54 am

I love giving boxes to the d kids when they were little - how fun!
have a great time with your young ones d harriet.

running off to do errands before the heat of the day takes away that zest to get things done outside of the house.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 am

Saw DD and dsonil drive by about a 1/2 hour ago. Must have gotten in fairly early as I know they were going to stop for breakfast on the way from the airport. Think he was due in about 10:20 -left about 7:25. Made for a very early trip to Sanford. Especially since his driver wanted to get back past Orlando before rush hour.

Took some ice and water down to dh a little bit ago. Thought he hadn't drank much but said he'd just filled up with a water from the store. He had to take the mower down. Evidently somebody's rug stuck out on the lawn from the deck and he didn't see it. Wound around the blades and I'm sure the rug is no more. Won't make his 'boss' happy.

The flowers on the berm behind our RV look fantabulous! Our old pastor friend stopped here on their way out so she could show her dh. She remembered it from when she visited us from time to time and a few dinners here. That was before she and our other friend got married.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Oh Blessed I really hope you read that book. I just know you'll enjoy it.

I really can't get it out of my head. I think it should be mandatory reading for everyone.

The overall idea of the book is that they set up their homes with separate spaces for everything. I guess there is a trend for more open plans, but in general they have a dedicated space for all their activities. There is a foyer which sets the mood for the entire home. There is a separate dining space which is not cluttered with other activities there...and matching dishes and silverware are all in that space with the table linens etc. Children set the table. They are taught how.

Kitchens are not part of the family room. TV's are not the central part of the rooms and mostly watched for a specific purpose. Nobody eats on tv trays in front of the tv. Families actually behave more like families together. When they do take-out they bring it home and put it in bowls to serve. They do not snack between meals, though they have a specific snack just for school age children after school. If one comes to a meal not really hungry because they've snacked, that is considered a bit impolite. The food and the prep. and the way they eat together is given a higher value than the way we eat on the run all the time.

There is way more to this plan than I've said above. But it got me thinking about my frustrations here with office things scattered in 4-5 spaces.

My mending today was whole house recovery. I did a big pupa and got caught up with a lot of things. I rearranged some things in my kitchen.

I am wondering if how we live with open floor plans and every minute planned out and the constant running to and fro and so many multiple things going on everywhere makes our she-ness and other health problems worse. I know it increases my stress levels and frustration around here. Just thinking about how I "feel" when everything is cleaned up and put away,tidy and neat as opposed to when work papers etc. are all about tells me I'm on to something here. It is a lot to think about.

I have a LOL ready to hang up and I've finished my work on my 2 pictures. When my hair is dry I will go out and see about frames (hoping I don't have to do custom ones) and drive by the library and stop for a couple things in the supermarket. That is my plan for the rest of the day so far.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Home from the funeral and I have cooled down, I think. I have a headache, probably the heat and humidity. There was some shade at the funeral - our cemetery has some large trees but many have fallen in the past few years.

On to research and Pro Gen assignment for July 25.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Think a lot of what you're saying, Harmony, is what I'm trying to do in our RV. Instead of having a lot of things "where they'll fit", I'm trying to re do and put things where it's logical. Slow process, especially in here, but it's getting there. Hoping to be able to remove some things, as not needed, when I'm done. Also hoping dgd23 will want some of the things I need to get out of here and/or the storage unit.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Dee, are these the petunias again? I was thinking once you talked about zinnias but not sure.

Happy BirthING day to Twins' Mom and Dee - I agree, Dee, I wasn't going to forget the twins' birthday either. Things go in and out of my brain so easily lately.

((blessed)) I read your "this is what I'm seeing" paragraph several times, feeling sorry for me and you both! We have similarities, for sure.

Nancy, I hate to think about dear dogs shivering over scary noises - glad Ella's experience was at least better than other years.

BookSaver, I'm looking forward to reading it!

Open floor plans - I can't talk anyone out of them. Dstepson and dstepdil are so looking forward to building one. But I see so many negatives. Just today with 2 things happening in our home at once - my care of the children and dd19's friend driving in - we were stepping over each other, especially when ddil came to pick the kids up. After the children were gone, the two girls wanted to watch a program together and they were enjoying each other's company so much, but that did not really leave a place for me. 2s company. So I went to my bedroom, which should have had a decluttering result but had a napping result.

I'm disappointed that our study group's next-Wed event had to be changed to next-Thurs. So I will be the one who cannot attend with them. Even dd could go, maybe, but I can't. They were even going to go out to eat afterward. Sigh. I wouldn't change ds' household plans over this - they already switched my help for them from Tuesdays to accomodate.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 pm

I took the dog out while it was quiet. It is smokey from the fire down the river. Ack only the 5tj and we have smoke already poo. I watered a bit and the hens are happy. Apples are nearly gone now, plum cherries are on now. Plums are next. Cots are ripening at the orchard.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:40 pm

There's several different things there, Harriet. Lots of petunias, a purple flowering plant that closes at dusk, several different kinds of day lilies, daisies, hosta, and a few other varieties. Always looks so nice.

Return to “Post When You Can”