On with August

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: On with August

Postby CathyS » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi!

Supper tonight is pasta and meat sauce. Haven't decided on what kind of pasta yet.

I have almost every window in the house wide open. There is an awesome breeze today with the promise of rain. It's cool as well.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I have been doing desk duty on desk day and working in the office get things I do not love boxed & bagged up to donated next. I purged more notebooks, & papers. Decluttered tossed and cleaned up even worked on getting 2 desk drawers empty yea it feels great. I still have an inch or so if papers to deal with. Took a break to walk the dog before it got too hot.
Had a low in the nite slept in today so my schedule is off.
Lunch x

I am doing a m stuff in afternoon today.
s2s
make the bed
kitchen counters
Sweep floors x
Hens will be here till the weekend.
Tweak Aug. Cal. X
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Some replies about deck surfaces and coverings (what I know). There is something called Cool Deck that is a vinyl product that is troweled on (or is it brushed?) a lot of people down here use on their pool decks. It comes in pretty colors and is fairly durable. We used that on a lanai once. There is a deep penetrating concrete sealer, the 2 kinds we used are Tuf- Top or there's one called H&C acrylic concrete sealer. We used that one here, in Bombay color which is like a sand. We redid the drives over at old house before selling, and we have it here. Needs to be done again because it's worn with all the truck and work we do on ours.

We have a long front porch and DH cut the concrete (shallow cuts with a concrete saw) all the way across and then we coated with the Bombay and it looks like an old fashioned plank porch.

People here have businesses where they come and coat your driveway / walkways in a base color and then a pattern top and I think that's vinyl but if anyone attempts to do that themselves one needs the pattern templates and muriatic acid is used first which is rough on your lungs if you breathe it in, and you don't dare sweat or it'll leave drop marks. This needs sealed every so often. I would hire that out if we wanted it.

Lucylee's DM probably has Trex lumber on her deck which is a composite and supposed to last forever but we've seen some that really didn't so well. FL sun is hard on everything here.

My arbor is just plastic and looks as new as it did the day we installed it 11 yrs ago!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Well now that I've bored everybody with the above, here's what my 1st day of August is like so far.

After doing my dailies I called DD who has a birthday today and I got to share in the fun via phone while she ate chocolate cake (for breakfast!) and opened her gift from the 3 DGSons. Great fun. Told her our card is in the mail.

Did 2 chores outside but I am disappointed in my energy / stamina level. I used to be able to work work work out there but can't any longer. I went downhill badly again babying this wrist of mine. Now that I have the ok to use it more, I'm trying to get back into it, but it sure is hard. it's 93° out and while we're sorta used to that, I haven't been out in it much lately. So I've melted into a puddle and it's taking way to long to recover. I definitely need to work on this. I'll make it a goal for August.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Overwhelmed. I am overwhelmed.
BUT -- I still have 5 hours before guests arrive for dh's birthday. DH says I should not be concerned with "putting on airs" for dbil's girlfriend -- that she is MUCH more concerned that we like HER, than we are as to whether she likes us or not. LOL.
OTOH... it would be nice if the floors didn't crunch underneath her feet, and if she didn't get tangled up in cobwebs at the back door, you know?
* sheesh *
And THIS is why we are told to do zones and whb and etc etc etc etc...
* sheesh *

Last night, I washed the VERY dusty tablecloth in the guest bath. There's a little round table there, with some candles and potpourri and other misc stuff on top, cleaning supplies underneath. So that is freshened up and I actually decluttered a bit on the tabletop, cleaned the sink/vanity/accessory items with windex, and s/s the toilet. I still need to vacuum the bathtub. Yes -- that's right, it's never used, but it has accumulated a TON of dust in there, and if she looks behind the shower curtain, she will think, UGH.

Doing laundry out of necessity, not to impress her.

Wrapped dh's presents... Carried some stuff out to dmom's car (her stuff, just unneeded clutter in house)

So -- now TO DO's...
[/] continue laundry
[/] vacuum/dust public areas
[ ] clean back porch/entry area
[ ] drug store
[ ] bank
[ ] Wmart (for cake)
[ ] Pizza

I also need to change sheets... paint the interior and exterior of the house... :lol: wash windows & curtains... :lol: buy a new toilet seat... and a new light fixture for the kitchen (two bulbs are out and new bulbs do not work, shortage in fixture?) LOL... a lot of stuff will not get done of course. She's just going to have to take us as we are. Editing... we don't need to wash windows; we need to replace windows! We have double pane windows, and they have gotten moisture in between the panes... SIGH...
Last edited by lucylee on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi everyone! I am working on a report at payroll, no big surprise there. This morning, the doctor pronounced my surgery healing complete. She had to ask which side the cyst was on because she could no longer feel where the sutures were. I told her of the difficulty of getting callbacks from her office and learned that there is now a new scheduler. She did not say it was because the old one was hard to get to, but I would not be surprised.

Last night, I did not get nearly as much done as I should have. In fact, I did nothing productive except cooking. Unless you consider talking my unemployed friend out of getting the hail dents from last night taken out of her car. If you are not employed and have a lot of debt, you don't need to spend money on a deductible to get cosmetic damage fixed! If it had been something that affected the reliability of the car, yes fix it so you can get to job interviews. But hail dents? She wants to fix it to sell it, but there is no way that will have a good ROI given the age of the car! Why spend $250 to get $100 more in a sale?

Last night, we had a spectacular storm with hail. Elizabeth's Own Roof Repair work held in the sewing room, but I will have to call them out about the kitchen this weekend. Small leak and only when the rain is driven hard from the east, but maintenance time.

I have written out a chore bingo chart for my crisis cleaning tonight. Will I get it done?

The MER cube is building while I type this.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Harmony - I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the different options. I was reading...googling...reading...googling...rinse and repeat. When we redo our pool area we will NOT be putting down carpet again around the swimming pool. Yes, the carpet does keep the bottom of our feet cool when walking around that area but I have to use a vacuum every week on it. I am always uncomfortable having a vacuum that close to a body of water. I've had the vacuum cord fall into the water and it freaks me out. I want SIMPLE to clean and maintain. I don't even have carpet in our house....it's a bit crazy to me that the only carpet I have is located outside.

I've set up the August calendar and was a bit overwhelmed & intimidated by it.
** DS9 turns 10 this weekend. He has requested a two-day trip to celebrate his birthday including taking a couple of his friends with us. That is in the planning stage.
** We have 11 medical appointments on the August calendar. Ugh. Several of those appointments are for DMom but it really doesn't matter time wise. There are at least 11 days in August that I will be going to a doctors office.
** DD starts school 4 nights a week....which means DGD7 will be here more.
** DSIL has surgery scheduled next week.....which means DGD7 will be here more.
** We are almost fully geared up with 5th-grade homeschool (day 17). I started the new homeschool year off slow and have been adding in another curriculum each day or two. We are now spending at least 4 hours a day on homeschool lessons.
** DS9 starts TWO musical lessons in August. He starts taking private piano lessons (weekly) from a local lady. And I'm enrolling him in a homeschool band that gives lessons (weekly). This will require adding a 50+ mile drive to our week. He has another homeschool friend taking band lessons too so hopefully, I can trade off with that Mom on taking them.
** Homeschool COOP classes will start up in August. I don't have those class schedules yet so I haven't put them on the schedule yet. From past experience, I know it will be a 4 hour a week commitment....usually on Monday mornings. And it also requires another 50+ mile drive for that class.
BOTTOM LINE......AUGUST CALENDAR INTIMIDATES ME. I just want to focus on today. I'll figure out the next day when it gets here.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:31 pm

home again! had a lovely time. dh came with which was so nice!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Oh, (((LadyM))) -- your calendar for August makes me feel better about mine.
I only have * so far * 5 doctor appt days. Three for dmom, one for dh, and one (allergy shot pick up) for me.
I have a hair appt tomorrow, and an overnight trip w/ds & family.
BUT... in between all those days are the days of checking on dmom, running errands for her, and I am sure there will be more doctor appts before the month is over.
PLUS... keeping dgrands. DDIL * thank goodness * will be finished with school tomorrow night, until January, and only then IF she gets into nursing school. OTOH, she hopes to increase her workload during the fall, in order to make more $$ for Christmas. IKWYM about your dd going 4 nights a week. That is a HUGE load on the student AND the grandmother!

Just got off the phone w/dmom and she had a list of three things to pick up at her house tomorrow... and I will be taking dgrands with me to visit her... then getting back home in time for haircut.

Talking about setting up the calendar for August... and I really should put this in the planner thread... but I am very discontent with all planners.
I NEED a paper planner terribly. I cannot function unless it is written down on paper, and cards are not enough.
However, I want something that apparently does not exist.
I want a planner that is no more than 5x8 inches... with monthly, weekly, and daily views all in one place. LOL... that's not asking much is it? :lol:
I like seeing the whole month in the bullet journal format, just a list of days... and I like having the week in the same way... but sometimes it really is nice to lay out the day by hourly slots. I am beginning to think if I could schedule my whb on that kind of format, I could SEE that no, it is not going to take all day to vacuum the house... I only need an hour... and here it is, an open block of time.
I don't like having to flip back and forth, as the bullet journal seems to require.
BUT... maybe not... b/c I DID that today, and here I am, waaay past the time the vacuuming and dusting should be finished, and it is not. Dusting is not even started.
DH is trying to nap (he is still not feeling well at all) and I figure being a well-rested birthday boy is much more important to him than being a birthday boy with an immaculate house.
Oh well.

Harmony, I think you are right about dmom's deck flooring. I should google... yes... that is what it looks like. I didn't think to ask her when we were talking just now. It's been there 6-8 years or more, and I don't think they've done anything except possibly power wash it a few times? However, talking about the Florida sunshine... we are quite a bit north of you, and this is on the northeast corner of her house, protected and shaded on two sides by the house itself. I don't know how it would hold up in different weather conditions. But so far, she is very pleased with it.
She actually is SOOO pleased that * grrrrr * this deck/screened porch/sunroom is part of the reason she will not leave that house and move out here closer to me!!!!
It's the last work my ddad did on their house before he got sick.

So glad you are doing well from the surgery, Elizabeth!
And Rose -- definitely joining you in hopes that you do NOT need surgery! But it is so good to have a doctor you like.
(Dmom and I both have a small crush on her foot doctor, I think. :lol: He is so nice, and so cute. He looks like he is about 21 years old. I'm sure he is much older b/c he has obviously completed medical school and become a surgeon. But he just has a very boyish face. He doesn't have George Clooney good looks; he looks more like the guy that would be captain of the basketball team (he's very tall & thin) and probably voted Best All-Around in his high school class.)

(((Harmony))) 93 degrees is HOT. Cathy's breezy weather sounds sooo nice!

WTG, Nancy!

Twins, I can't follow the Bingo list b/c (1) I'm in crisis mode, and (2) some things have to be done at certain times. * Cake must be picked up after 4:00 pm... * Pizza must be picked up around 7:15... etc..

I'm just allowing myself to go back as far as Topic Review allows... must get up & do SOMETHING while dh sleeps...

Waving to Blessed and EVERYONE ELSE!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Happy Birthday to lucylee's dh.

Happy Anniversary to helia and dh, which we missed the other day, whoops. Missing her.

My attention to the boards and bingo and house today must be put on hold soon - this study/class I promised I'd attend at church. Can't just show up - have to look a little better. So that takes time. Also dd will likely go and needs to get some things done. She's asked me to go with her to wmart after. Just a few things but can't be found elsewhere.

I'm assuming we'll go ahead and continue bingo to Thurs. kittykatt will be out of the house but you never know. Someone may get to use it early and then we'll maybe have some who'll come in with big plans. I have the grandchildren tomorrow, but later afternoon can play.

Return to “Post When You Can”