Tuesday Takeoff !

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Tuesday Takeoff !

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

What a quiet day here in our little village.

I did some genealogy work on a different project - next month's Pro Gen assignment. I've been floundering trying to find a subject that I can use - this is a genealogical sketch of a family including at least one proof summary or arguement. There are some families I want to save for my portfolio, or as a backup to my portfolio projects. So I think I have one now that will work with a bit of additional research, and the bonus is that by writing a proof argument I can do a DAR application, I think. If I want to, that is. :lol:

I just pulled myself out of my genealogy rabbit hole and talked to cousin about them coming for a cookout on Saturday of Labor Day. I can cross that off my list for today now.

I need to:
-go to the drugstore about a refill, it's not an automatic refill but i know the doc has sent it in (while I'm there I need vitamins...)
-move laundry over and fold a load and put away
-call the vet re meds and dog food for dMuffin

Heading out right now about the meds...will plan to pick up tomorrow.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 pm

blessed, are they offering this for cancer patients? Except for Chrons and UC patients needing IVs, the only nutrient given (outpatient) through IV that I know much about is vitamin C for cancer. I'd say that IV vitamin C is not so unusual in cancer patient treatment. It has only been shown to average a small effect on longevity, but then, that's all chemo shows. Chemo at about $100,000 per patient in this country and IV vitamin C at about $200 per treatment (but you need more than one, of course) makes Vitamin C look like an alternative you wouldn't turn down if it might help. The Mayo Clinic did a randomized control trial and came down right on the fence about it, saying they would not rule out the possibility that it helps. That much vitamin C also has some side effects, but not for everyone, and not anywhere near the scale of chemo side effects.

HRH's cousin with Chrons went around through her days at home pushing her IV cart around with her, the IV giving her almost literally every nutrient she needed. But I'd have to assume what you're talking about doesn't have much to do with that.

I was wondering what credentials the nutritionist had. There is no set amount of education or type of education someone has to have to be a nutritionist, and some are probably fantastic with lots of knowledge, some dreadful - who would know. It's great that this is a person recommended through others you trust, and I'd say if he/she is within an office with medical doctors, that says something about the credibility, too.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Well I've been quiet b/c I've been BUSY * and * b/c I've used waaaay over my data plan already this month and I'm getting notices that I'm 75% into the additional bit they added for $10. DH, for reasons best known to himself, :roll: doesn't want to switch up to "unlimited talk, text, and data." * sigh *

But I'll say this -- dh is right on one thing -- nothing is ever just SIMPLE.

We went through this rigmarole after dropping off dmom's car at the clean-up shop. DH wanted to go to dmom's and pick up our truck, which I had left there when I got hers.
I argued no, it would be much easier to just get dmom's truck from ds, who has commandeered it and has three vehicles now at his house and only one driver. He lives much closer to us and this truck, unlike ours, has AC.
This was time consuming, b/c ds had to clean out dmom's truck... but this was no problem to dh, in reality -- ds came to get me and I took him home.
As we went, we discussed that the brakes on this truck felt shaky, and the oil was waaaay overdue for a change.
I called dmom, got her "okay" to change oil and rotate tires. Told her I'd take it through the wash too. Thank goodness I was using her debit card...
This is where the fun began.
* Went through the drive-through "touch-free" car wash, which was totally worthless
* Oil change, new air filter, new oil filter, changed signal light (which I later learned has a shortage and won't work, with or without new bulb)
* Rotate tires
* Ma'am -- your rotor on this back passenger side is broken. It really needs to be replaced, and new brake pads put on, b/c it has worn the pad completely in two.
* Call dmom... go ahead... do that... Dmom told me to then "take this truck home and park it!" ;)
* Start to back up... hmmmm... hard to back up... men start nodding their heads at each other...
* Ma'am -- that's what we thought, the caliper is bad, that's what caused the rotor to break...
* Go ahead... do that... (no additional labor charge this time, which I appreciated!)
* Went back to the car wash, did the hand scrub brush/power wand... it is far from perfect, but it's better...
... ... and dmom is in the hole about $275, I guess. All because she asked me to take her car to the clean-up shop, which will be about another $100 tomorrow. AND, as she bemoaned last weekend, she is spending "a king's ransom" to stay in this assisted living facility...
I bet she will be slow to ask my services in the future...

Home, starving, ate three pieces of pizza and a granola bar -- b/c supper won't be till after the nursing home tonight --
Looked up dh's report on line from x-ray yesterday, and apparently he has "no pleural effusions. No pneumothorax." Everything else normal. So I don't know if he's going back to the doctor or not. Dmom said the pneumonia from 2-3 weeks ago would leave him weak for a while, and he does seem to be feeling better the past few days, after hitting bottom last weekend... so... ? I guess we'll just wait and see what he says tomorrow.

What a day.

Planner Addicts... that sounds like just what I need! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did Harriet say something about ROUND FOUR??? :shock: :shock: :shock: NOOOOOO... that CANNOT BE!!! I never even got every room done in round two. Heck... some rooms missed out on round ONE! :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops: :oops: How can this be???

WTG, NANCY!!!

And I am so glad things went well for y'all yesterday, Harmony!

Blessed, I do hope the nutritionist is able to help dd. Do you know, when dmom went to the acupuncturist that time, he had all sorts of supplements and misc items his patients swore by. I thought, personally, that he was just trying to make more money -- but he was an acupuncturist, NOT a nutritionist. I think things will be a little more "logical" for your dd -- but I'd hate to have to do IVs, too.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

lucylee, HRH got interested in your interest, I guess, and tried to find this booklet online but could not. He did discover that the publisher (?) was the N. C. Poultry Federation and that pot luck is two words. I suppose it was a very boring release, lol. There are a lot of baked goods, using eggs, to make them "poultry recipes". The first lady from your direction at the time was Brewer - first name, "Mrs.". :| and she submitted Chicken Spaghetti, for which an ingredient is, "one hen".

I'm surprised how that anonymity bugs me. I would have been 13-14 at the time, and I would have thought we were all a little more enlightened then, than to relegate people to "wife of" status, while expecting response to a request.

Well, back to the grind! A lot to go to trash pickup.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Today was filled with medical appointments and DS10 first piano lesson. We used one of the 5 No Homeschool Days we have each month. There was no time available for school work.

I put meatballs in the crockpot and made a big pot of mashed potatoes. Added a couple vegetable dishes and dinner was easy to get on the table.

DH is mowing DD/DSIL yard for them. DS10 is playing at his best friends house. I'm taking a break and enjoying the quiet. DS10 and friend will soon be coming here to play for a couple hours.......so this is MY TIME. I'm going to search OverDrive app for a book. I am considering "Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation" because I'm interested in the conversation about the governors' wives cookbook. Hum...

79 completed SHE cards
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:03 pm

I think Cokie Roberts is the author of your book, LadyM. I met her at the dinner at the end of the Washington D.C. institute at the National Archives. She was the speaker but took a lot of time to go around and talk to people.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 pm

just came back from other errands.

no it's not for cancer patients. the IV bars are a new trend in hollywood.
there isn't regulation on it yet which is frightening. It's where they make a vitamin bag for you and give it to you intravenously. It was originally used for hangover help.

dh did chemo. Nutrition is important for cancer.

I believe in old fashioned or homeopathic meds - my grandmother used to show me all the herbs that she and her d mom used in France. but this was definitely a money making business. I believe in nutrition and vitamins but they have had problems with IV like this messing with the electrolyte imbalance, salts, accruing and people having problems with some of the things in the iv's. with dd being so allergic and having autoimmune issues with different things, it would be unwise for dd to do this without her internal medicine dr. and her allergist. My problem is that it is not regulated or checked as medical.

The head of it is a psychiatrist. There isn't another medical dr. but he does give medical diagnosis for lime disease etc. (I have heard that vitamins and other supplements make a difference in peoples life). he and the nutritionist (his wife) use the IV bar as part of the treatment.
Extremely expensive. The visit was $250 and to test vitamins (she had that done at Mayo but they wanted another was another 200.00. They don't apply it to insurance.

can't say it wasn't interesting - thanks for educating me on those things. I just don't think this was one of the good places.

https://www.ivbars.com

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iv-lounges ... they-safe/

It's bigger here than I thought. There are IV bars in a lot of places now. This one isn't run by a certified nurse. Also they offer things up to the patient not a md. which is concerning. I hope that they consult their drs. first to see if it is safe.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Ask, realtor wants an open house Sun. I don't think so hubby office is not photo ready. His tool room is not either. No homes at our price point so did not to get to do that. I need a tweak in my plan for tomorrow. Sigh. H is upset some thing about sick of burritos so glad it is not me he is upset with. :shock: more stuff added to our list. ... not thinking very pleasant thoughts at the moment, Realtor wanted to come back again tomorrow I said only in a m , then she changed her tune took the pics today after all. I cannot do the stuff in the shop bc spray. So will need to do something else.

Laundry and work on basement or my office.

Return to “Post When You Can”