Thursday Think it Through

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Thursday Think it Through

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:24 am

With all the planner talk it has reminded me that thinking and planning is an important part of taking care of things.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Re: Thursday Think it Through

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:27 am

Good morning d Lady!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:31 am

this is perfect for me today. today is normally my errand day and I thought I should give it up to finish the put away from yesterday but I know that won't work for me.

I will do 2 hours of putting my kitchen together and hope to be brutal in what I put back.
then errands.

dd did go to immediate care but so far no stitches -it's more of a wait and see. Praying her nerve disorder doesn't kick in as it usually does with any injury. She already started with the numbness and pins and needles and that is usually the beginning of full blown CRPS. praying!
One week before we leave. so cheering healing on for her.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

helia

Postby helia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:49 am

I'm kind of in just do it mode today; lots I need to get done.

Yes, very true, LadyM. And very a propos for me today b/c I had to do some previous planning and coordinating with other people so we can celebrate dd20's bday tonight with her requested meal -- basically, a Thanksgiving meal -- even though I won't get home from work until 6 pm. Fortunately, I won't need to go in until 3, but there's work I'll need to do at home too. I think we can do it!
Oh, my goodness -- how is dd, blessed? I missed her injury. I'll pray for her.

Thanks for the kind words yesterday! :) I can be here a little bit -- but I need to make sure I don't get sucked in. LOL!

My challenge today is to get a Tgiving dinner on the table by 6:45 when I arrive home at 6. Dh will be a huge part of that solution; he also will arrive home around 6, and he's immensely helpful. Also, I think M will put the turkey in the oven for me at the appropriate time, so it can roast while I'm at work. I'll have it prepped and ready to put in the oven before I leave for work.

Dd20 is actually making her own dessert; she wanted to try a new recipe -- lava cake, I believe, so that works out well. And I already bought part of her bd gift while we were in Europe in June, handmade leather sandals from a cobbler's shop in Greece. Dh is going to finish the gift buying today for both of us.

TaDas!
- dog care
- bank errand: both girls had business there that also involved my account
- WF run: last items for the celebration bought and put away

Next:
- jog
- s2s and self care
- finish am routine

I'll fit in daily stuff around these main goals today.

Main Goals for Today:
X 1. Bank Errand
X 2. WF run
3. Jog
4. Payroll prep: figure out F quiz, prep GSL class, maybe start checking IW paragraphs
5. Prep turkey for the oven
6. Other odds and ends before I go? -- bathroom could use a spiffing; I could start prepping potatoes and/or sweet potatoes
7. Payroll
8. Celebrate dd20's bday!! -- Dinner for 8, gifts, dessert and speeches
9. Clean up

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 am

I think h has decided not to move! Lol. :roll: I am writing stuff in my planner like open house Sun., Wed. Realtor tour. So I do not forget.
This is my day off I cleaned one shelf. Neighbor is coming over to help with musical furniture.in a bit. Then inside will be pretty much ready.
Helix belated birthday wishes to you!

OMM ~ Thinking on these to things.
Need to move side board upstairs and small look downstairs and rolling cart it is on.
They are not to heavy just bulky.
Outside stuff will happen when the air is clearer.
Did a home pedi. Last nite my feet were grateful.

This is an easier day for me slept in. :mrgreen:
Cleaned one drawer.
Staged the creativity room. Yea me!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 am

Good morning everyone! The funeral went as well as could be expected. She was in distress at the end, crying out "Turn me back, God!" Her widower interpreted that to mean she wanted more time with her family and took it as a comfort. DD16 decided to attend and was worried she did not have a black dress. I told her the olive green she had on was sufficiently somber, that she only needed to avoid bright loud colors. Except, of course, when the family requests otherwise, like the one with loud Hawaiian shirts. (I think I will ask everyone to wear their most comfortable shoes - sneakers, flip flops, even bunny slippers!) I was supposed to go to dinner with my traveling companion friend, who was also at the funeral. They had sandwiches so we ate there. The family requested people take home food, so I have a non-boring lunch today. Felt very weird to be taking food from a funeral rather than leaving it.

Before that, I worked on the MBR, finishing the last closet, the floor, and the bed. After was LOLs, but they are not folded and put away. Remembered to put the trash out.

Today at payroll, I have determined the reason for the daily load anomalies and dealt with them. In 20 minutes, I have to check in my traveling companion for her flight back home.

Tonight is Girls' Night Out with DD, and it will probably be homework. Someone left a box of gluten free rotini in the break room. I may get roast beef from a local BBQ place. It's DD's favorite and I can get it by the pound.

lucylee: Tell DS/DIL when you are available and let them learn to plan around you! (Unless, of course, you are getting on-call pay).

That dorm situation for Harriet's DD is a real problem for students who are not local. Auburn got its first coed dorm long after I graduated because they had to tear down Magnolia Hall (for men). They put a divider down the center of Noble Hall. If you lived on the third floor of the ladies side of Noble, you had to go down the stairs, through the lobby, then up another set of stairs to get to the men's side. Wouldn't surprise me if someone monitored the stairs too! Not sure how that worked with fire codes.

What is CRPS that is plaguing blessedw2's DD? I've also sent up prayers for her.

helia: What is GSL? All I can think of is German as a second language. I like Thanksgiving dinner on my birthday too.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm trying to research the C hrysler P acifica for dh. He insists he wants a 4 or 6 cylinder and I only find that they have a V-8. Think he has it mixed up with some other SUV. Just made an appointment for next Friday afternoon for our NYS inspection and oil change/tire rotation. Warned dh NOT to make any appointments for next Friday. This appointment is at 2 and I have to fit in rehab in the morning I guess. He has a PT appointment at 8am tomorrow. So it stands to reason his next one would probably be next Friday -NOT!

Time to fix lunch. Made stuffed pepper soup last night and that's today's lunch. Actually turned out pretty good. Off I go>>>>>> Have a great birthday dinner, Helia.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

helia

Postby helia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:35 pm

LOL Elizabeth! I never thought about the abbreviations for my class and how they might look to others. It's my own nomenclature. GSL is Grammar/Speaking/Listening class. At our school, the lower levels have 2 classes: GSL and a Reading/Writing class. Those classes meet every day. The upper levels have 4 different classes: Writing/ Reading/ All Skills (basically grammar)/ Speaking + Listening. Writing and All Skills classes are MWF classes. Reading and Speaking/Listening are T-Th classes. All classes are 2 hours long.

For the first time in 2 years, we're back to 5 levels of classes. WE have some super low students and so have re-opened our lowest level classes, one of which I teach -- G/S/L. I like the lower classes for some reasons, and I like the advanced classes for other reasons. It's all OK in my book; I like variety. Not all the teachers like variety, though. And our supervisors try to work with what we like.

So, IW is Intermediate Writing. I have 2 lower-ish classes this session, for which I'm grateful. They're a little less work - in some ways. At least, paragraphs are quicker to grade than full-fledged essays. . .

Typically, the total # of class hours/week/student is 20 hours. This is what is required for I20 visas, which we issue to many of our students. In other words, they come into the US specifically to study at our school with the visas that we grant them. We also have non-I20 students, like spouses of grad students, some grad students themselves, sometimes teenage children of visiting professors, employees sent here by their international companies (not sure how their visas work), etc.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:57 pm

2 neighbors looked at the house helped get musical furniture accomplished. One has friend looking for a home so will look this afternoon. 2 of 3 showings done today.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:05 pm

DD decided not to go to the neighboring town to see about her A/C today, thankfully. I've been piddling around - ordered a pension record from nat'l archives, built out a family tree for the lady I was emailing with yesterday and have worked on a worksheet color coding Ancestry matches in a spreadsheet for a visual representation of how they match.

I did get an early start, walking the dog and being there to pick up dd at 9 a.m.

I am heading out right now - will see dmom then pick up groceries. What else?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Post When You Can”