Wednesday Working WITH

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Wednesday Working WITH

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Home with groceries.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Tornado warning and severe storm warning here but the storm blew south of us and nothing coming on the radar so I declare all excitement over. It was a nothing storm for me, not even rain. That reminds me, I should go water the tomatoes since we didn't get rain. Other parts of the city had a real storm. For me, it got windy, cloudy, rumbly, and now the sun is out over the hills across the river. I can see south but that's where the storm went after it came down the river. There is a bend just west of us and usually the storm follows the river but today it went straight so passed where I couldn't see it.

I sent a warning to one of our guests to take shelter. The other doesn't have a mobile phone and was actually in an area that got hit hard with rain. But his plan was to take shelter in a pub or coffee shop if the storms that were predicted came up.

I've walked lots today. Took him to the record store in our neighbourhood, then on to the bank. Came home and cooled off until the bookmobile arrived and walked over to that. By then the storms were rolling in so the sun had disappeared, cooling things down a bit.

I baked again this morning, this time muffins. They were wonderful. I'm not sure I can think of something to bake for the last morning for our guests. I think I'm gaining weight, though. I love baking something for breakfast each morning but there's a good reason I don't do it all the time! Dh asked how long it takes to make refrigerator muffins last night while I was pondering what to make today. I had to explain they take weeks. We have another guest coming in November, though, so I've made a note to make up the muffin mixture a few weeks before.

I need to go to laundry now. I started a load this morning then forgot to hang it up. I have another load ready to start so at least I'm organized. Then to tidy the kitchen from my lunch fixings. Dinner tonight is out with our guests so no more cooking today.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:54 pm

This is the 3rd time Sam has chewed up wires on A/C. After the first time Sam chewed up the wires, DH built a huge cage over the whole A/c unit so Sam couldn't get to the wires. That didn't stop him. Sam chewed up the wooden cage. LITERALLY CHEWED THE WOOD and torn apart one side of the cage around the a/c unit!! And yes, there are dog toys to play with and chew on as well as rawhide rollup chew sticks always available for Sam to chew on.....but he seems to prefer to chew wood and wires. ANYWAY, the HVAC repairman replaced the wires again this week and DH fixed the cage. This morning the a/c unit quit working again so we checked.....yup. Sam has managed to destroy it all again. DH is currently doing repairs again.

We have had another great day of homeschooling. I am tickled pink over this.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Yi, LadyM! Hate when dogs chew. DS-R had a lab that chewed everything in sight. I didn't have a dining room chair left with rungs that were not chewed. Worst incident though was another lab DS had. She was lying along the back of the couch presumably gazing out the window. Next to the couch was a plant stand with intricate inlays dh's grandfather had made. Later I walked in & she's chewed a whole corner off. We've tried tp hide it ever since so his db/dsisil never saw it. I'd like to do something with it. Want to ask dgd23 if she'd like it. Wish there were some way to fix it.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:24 pm

We've had those chewing dogs before. Macs and Chief were both big chewers, they're almost like toddlers you can't let out of your sight.

I am not being productive. I'm not sure why I'm so stuck these days. I have cousins coming on Saturday for a cookout and then a big crowd coming on Sept 10 - less than two weeks away for Rosh Hashanah.

I am setting a timer for 45 min and going.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 pm

H tasked how the realtor tour went, I have no idea bc I was gone. I think it happened I asked the neighbor and she said she thought
they had been through. Wrote out some notes and got ideas down. Thawing meat for dinner I will cook meat balls.

It is nice to have this lull in my week to rest and regroup. The first week of school is this week so folks are preoccu6pied with that.
Ddog had fun helping me in the back yard. I dug a few weeds out for my exercise this afternoon.

Tomorrow the lane line will be disconected yea no more annoying telemarketers on that one it is defective and we just get a crackley
Sound from it and cannot really use it anyway.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:37 pm

I feel a small amount of guilt for freaking DS10 out....but it is best he learns the "you are being watched" lesson well. DS10 was walking DGD7 home then he was going to walk to church. It's about 2-3 blocks to DGD7 home then about 1/2 block to church. I got a text that DS10 and DGD7 were yelling at each other while walking. Within a minute DS10 called me on the phone to tell me that DGD7 was walking on the wrong side of the road and she wouldn't get on the correct side. I told DS10 that I had already been notified they were yelling at each other and he was immediately freaked out that I already knew. I just reminded him that I know/text with over 50 people attending that church and they will let me know if he is acting inappropriately. He was embarrassed and was going to come home but I assured him he has nothing to worry about. I told him to go have a good time but know that if you are not acting right that I will hear of it. Nothing like a good dose of small town living. It takes a community to raise a child.

And now I have 1.5 hours ALL TO MYSELF.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 pm

I had a disappointment. Registration for the course I wanted to take was to last through this week until Mon but the course filled up so much that they ended registration early and I found out today. My "plan B" was to take it in the spring, but now cannot find that it is even being offered in spring, and in fact I almost think, the way I read this, that it is suddenly not being offered then after all. I'll call in the morning but don't hold out much hope. I filled out an online form so that I will be informed when the registration for the fall 2019 course begins. Sigh - so that's "Plan C ?". Or "Plan D" might be to give up on it.

Honestly if HRH hadn't been here with me I think I would have teared up over this, not so much because I was convinced taking it right now was wise, but because I've been so careful, trying to do good decision-making about it, and now that mental energy went for nothing. If I had decided on "Plan B", spring, I was going to believe that putting a lot of myself into a good holiday season and family time instead was a wiser choice than letting the suggested 8 to 12 hours a week go toward study. HRH, trying to make me feel better before the tears came, suggested we go on a trip during the time I'd have been studying and learn about some locale together instead. So sweet, but that's an expensive remedy for hurt feelings, and the course money was saved specifically.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Working WITH today was pretty successful. ToddlerC(3) understands a bit about cleaning, and she knows a LOT about her preference for clean surfaces and neatness. She is a little white-glove-treatment House Fairy. Coloring was our reward.

Her new word is "actually", with the emphasis "AC-tually", and then a pause before some observation. It's amusing to me because my oldest girl-cousin says the word with that emphasis all the time, and has for her whole life. The two have never met.

After she went home with Mommy, I got the deposit made and stopped by healthy foods store, remembering all but one item that can't be found anywhere else. Oh well. No time to go to a specialty store again before houseguests arrive, so one recipe is off the menu. No problem.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Hello. I actually did work with someone today...dh washed up the breakfast dishes while I s/s the bathroom and straightened up the bedroom. I had the rest of my daily routine done in plenty of time before the PT nurse arrived.

Thank you for the congratulations for dgs16. Those of you who are on FB might have seen the picture of him in his band uniform that ds#3 posted last week. I asked him what his project would be and he said he hasn't decided yet. He has to have all his badge work done, his project completed and his notebook completed by his 18th birthday.

I watched our local news today to hear about the whale rescue that Harmony mentioned, but not one station said anything about it. I did find a news article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 7d6615f6a0 Another article had misnamed the whales as melonhead whales, but corrected it to the false killer whale. I think most of the whales are seen off the east coast in the Atlantic Ocean, the Right whale.

Kathryn, I'm sorry for the loss of your neighbor. Did he not have any family?

Oh, Harriet, I'm sorry the plans for your study course didn't turn out this time. Maybe there will be a cancellation to open up a spot for you.

We have had rain and thunderstorms most of the day. I think it is still drizzling a bit, and we have standing water in our back yard. We're supposed to have rain every day for another week. It sure looked like Harmony got some rain also. The temperature is now down to 71*, the coolest it has been in a couple of months. I have a few windows open.

I'm going to settle down now and watch tv for a little while --- Treehouse Masters is on now.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “Post When You Can”