Busy Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Busy Thursday

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 am

We've been a busy bunch lately - Lucylee has been all over with her dmom and dgrands, Harriet likewise is enjoying dgrandd C, LadyM is homeschooling, Kathryn with houseguests...the list of busy villagers goes on and on.

How has your day shaped up? It's almost end of the week, end of the month, heading into fall. What keeps you busy? We can't wait to hear!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Busy Thursday

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 am

I am taking dcousin to see dmom today and have lunch with her today.

I got up on the early side - I've been trying to start getting up earlier. I haven't been particularly productive but have done lots of a.m. routine, set up a window washer to come tomorrow for a quote, set up dishwasher repair (again) and ordered a new work bowl for food processor. (Found old one had been misshapen in dishwasher, probably was put into the bottom rack.)

So.....to get me off my tushie....
-s2s
-breakfast and meds
-start a lol?
-make the bed

Actually, I've piddled around a long time, need to leave in less than an hour.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 am

Houseguests are gone, I have a lunch date with a girlfriend and many errands to run. Plus erasing the 'guest' footprints (laundry and remake bed.) I baked again for a breakfast treat this morning with the leftovers now in freezer to be brought out for a Sunday potluck. I also froze the remainder of yesterday's mini muffins for treats for us from time to time.

Tonight might be visitation at the funeral home, and/or funeral tomorrow.

I've handled email. Two new projects - another refugee sponsorship (hopefully in an advisory role!) and our municipal election (an incompetent nemesis of mine is running against our excellent councilor so I'm working on ways of supporting the campaign from behind the scenes.)

Yesterday I enrolled back in the lay theology school for a 10 week, 2 class, once a week session. This time just for interest although one class in on SBNR (Spiritual but not religious.) My preaching days are almost over. My next spiritual focus is looking like it might be radical hospitality.

Actually, I've piddled around a long time, need to leave in less than an hour.

Ditto. Now to shower and put on clean clothes (I'm dressed just to walk our guests to their car) and get my day on the road.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 am

Good morning everyone. Had a delicious dinner with friend, but I could tell she was very frustrated with her son. He has started perseverating on things, repeating "David can't dance" over and over. (That really means he does not want David to dance with his favorite girl). I don't know if this is common in young adults with Down syndrome. I did remember to get the right color yarn so I could start the baby hard hat this morning. (The last time I made this pattern, everyone thought it was a minion hat. Ok, because they loved it.) I also determined that the sweater pattern has serious errors in the write up for the neck shaping. Not a problem for someone who has been doing this for ~17 years, but would be for people with less experience. (Of course, this particular book of patterns is very advanced and a beginner is not likely to pick it up).

Tonight is Girls' Night Out with DD16, which may be homework at the library. Ok by me. What I really need to do tonight is ANYTHING OTHER THAN WASTE TIME!

lucylee: FWIW, after two surgeries and several cyst drainings, my foot doesn't look any better either. However, it FEELS better! Don't recommend house shoes though. The podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon (who saw me for knee trouble) decreed that I should wear New Balance walking shoes. That 3yo is WAY behind, second opinion ASAP. For reference, just after she turned three, DD saw another kid having trouble getting onto some playground equipment. She walked over and said, "I'll stabilize it for you." Words I remember appearing between ages 2 and 3: feline, canine, feral, and diesel. At 2.5, she would very clearly point out motorcycles and whether the rider was wearing a helmet.

Kathryn: Inquiring minds gotta know - why do muffins take several weeks? As near as I can tell, SBNR means, "I believe in God, but don't want to do anything about it."

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:51 am

Errand day for me. I have the list of needed items made out.
Off track a bit this morning. H was looking at places to live during the building process apt. Made me think a reality check. :o sigh.

Journal done. I need to get dressed.
Later work one the shop decluttering and weeding.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:17 am

Kathryn: Inquiring minds gotta know - why do muffins take several weeks? As near as I can tell, SBNR means, "I believe in God, but don't want to do anything about it."

1. Refrigerator muffins taste better if you wait some time (at least 48 hours but better a week) before you start baking them up. The batter stays good in your fridge for about 5 - 6 weeks so you can make up a batch and bake them 2 - 4 at a time, having fresh baked muffins each morning.

2. SBNR to me means "I believe in God, but don't like what others have done with their beliefs." It missed a core belief of mine that God calls us to be in community because together we can respond more forcefully to the evil in the world. I'm generalizing but suspect many SBNRs feel religion has been a pretty forceful source of evil in the world.

The interest in SBNR and radical hospitality swirling around in my life fit together. My current focus is on drawing people into community as a way of battling the loneliness and despair so many feel. When I was talking with dh about this morning, he pointed to our neighbour's door (she is a senior isolated by her own choice) but in fact, it is the young adult's isolation, coming home to an empty apartment with little real-life interaction beyond work that concerns me.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:28 pm

I have a busy Thursday for sure today.

I have 1 set of sheets twirling and another to go. I have organized one clothes closet where I've been frustrated just finding things. I have those hangers that hold 5 pairs of slacks on a swing-out bar and I put like together (capris on one, dress slacks on another etc.) and I made colored round medallions with labels to hang on the top of the hanger. Maybe I won't get them all mixed up again.

Next up iron guest sheets which have been clean but not put on so long that they're wrinkled.

Long list today. I've S2Rollers and my desk chores are finished. I better get busy.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:09 pm

it is the young adult's isolation, coming home to an empty apartment with little real-life interaction beyond work that concerns me.

I totally agree! I am concerned with the younger generation that spends HOURS on video games every day. It not only isolates them but they don't seem to realize it because the virtual world becomes more real to them than "real life". I think interacting with people online in a game is perfectly fine in a limited timespan. But it can be very addicting and I know adults that have been caught up in it. It ruins their life IMHO.

We spent the morning at our small town fair. This is country living at its finest. LOL Heritage Day today with busloads of school children coming in to see all the old ways of farming live & in action. Tonight starts 3 days of animal shows where all the children raising livestock bring them and compete to see who the judge decides is the winner. Quilt show, garden show, carnival rides, pie auction, local bands playing on outdoor stage, etc ......all the excitement that a tiny town can create.

LucyLee - We live on the edge of a small town. The town is basically a one-mile square. Our yard fence is also a pasture fence. We have cows on two sides of us and houses on 2 sides. I am sorta surprised that allow DS10 the freedom to run around out of my sight in our tiny town. I hope that I am not being naive. I know I have a small town mindset, but I also recognize there is an evil world out there too that preys on innocent children. I discussed it with DH this morning to check that we aren't putting DS10 in danger. We discussed each house between us and the church and we know who lives in each one. Not only know the people...but in most cases, we know multiple generations of their families too. I think it is more dangerous for DS10 to go into a public bathroom in a big city event than it is to run free on the streets of our small town. I just know that we can't wrap the children in bubble wrap and keep them totally safe. It seems everything is a risk.

DH and I are going to allow DS10 to drive his go-cart in the parade tomorrow. Part of me screams NO, he could get hurt!. The other part of me knows he could get hurt getting into the bathtub. There is no way to ensure he will be safe in anything he does. Raising children isn't easy. IMHO. There isn't a right answer that fits all situations.

My break is over. Time to hit homeschool lessons hard since we had a 3-hour field trip this morning.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Day turned a$$ over tea kettle. Literally.

Didn't get off on time to wash car. Met girlfriend, nice lunch.

Went into BBB to look at bath mats, came out and was knocked down by a bicyclist on the sidewalk. Banged head hard (knocked off my earrings.) Lovely crowd of bystanders. Paramedics stayed with me until dh could get there (20km away, I had our only car so he had to take an Uber.) No need for hospital, never lost consciousness, vitals are excellent considering what happened. Lousy bp for me 156/87 at first, down to 145/82. Can't take it here since dd has my bp machine at the moment.

Head is very sore, big bump, sore neck, and back is starting to hurt. Off to bed to lie down. Shock is wearing off and I'm a bit nauseous (possibly from adrenaline wearing off, or from concussion sign.) Still very shaky and can't move faster than a extreme slow without triggering head pain. Am scared to lie down because touching the bump hurts.

Won't be going to visitation tonight, I don't think. We'll see. More likely I can't make it to the funeral tomorrow.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:03 pm

(K in C ) so sorry to read of your mishap take care! I bought blueberry muffins today.

Store run done. Got a shower curtain will need to get it up. Drip pans need to go in the stove, got copper looking burner covers too.
Food is put away. Game day so that will be evening activity for h. New dish towels were much needed addition to the kitchen old chicken
ones will be retired. I could not find the project sheets for my planner at Joann's I will go back got some bday $ will take that.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”