Thursday Ta Dahs!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Thursday Ta Dahs!

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am

Celebrate the little Ta Dahs today, whether creative (Harriet), health (Elizabeth) or otherwise! Sometimes in the midst of the To dos, we forget how far we've come.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Thursday Ta Dahs!

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 am

To me, it's more like "Ta dah!" it's Thursday - so quickly and such a strange week. I've had a series of mixed up weeks beginning with Labor Day week, each has had a holiday. Two were Mondays and one - yesterday - in the middle of the week. So today feels a little like Monday again too.

My digestive system survived the fast and the ensuing food.

I got up on the late side and as usual need a prod to get going (although I have done quite a bit of a.m. routine.) I have dishwasher going - I meant to run it last night, I have a load of laundry going, dog is fed and kitchen (mostly) cleaned up.

-breakfast and meds
-walk the ddog
-s2s
-straighten up MBR
-out to library
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:08 am

Good morning, villagers ~
Thank you for opening the thread today, Twins'Mom.

Last Thursday of the Season:
The radio DJs this morning are making a big deal about this being the "last day of summer" because we are supposed to have high temp of 90F today and drop down to a high in the low 60s tomorrow. This weekend will be the official change of season days.

In that spirit, I've started the annual pantry clean-out and restocking for winter weather. I wish I had a real pantry with shelves for food storage. We don't have a lot of storage space in our kitchen. I tuck things away in whatever space I can get to. By the time winter arrives, I make sure I have minimum 2 weeks of full menu plan with all ingredients on site, plus regular pantry staples like oatmeal, canned fruit, flour, oil, etc. That gets us through the days when the roads are too icy to drive to the store.

For winter prep I'm also keeping my eyes open for Christmas gift ideas for coworkers. I want to continue my tradition of sewing something useful. The first year I did pieced and quilted mug rugs; I greatly underestimated the amount of time and work needed. Two years ago I made Japanese knot bags and last year a simple tote bag shape. I have seen a pattern for another Japanese origami inspired bag that I want to make a sample to see how it works.

In house news, we are still waiting for the roofers. We finally bought and installed a tarp over the kitchen/dining room section. That was quite an ordeal and took several tries, because our ladder isn't quite long enough. The first try we got the tarp onto the roof but it wouldn't unroll and the sun went down before we could fix it. The next try DH took my suggestion of how to pull the tarp back down far enough to unroll and spread it out, but it took a lot of moving the ladder and climbing up and down, plus the mosquitos were savages that night. Unfortunately, DH didn't believe me that we needed to tie down 2 of the corners of the tarp and the very next day I saw 1 of them had already flipped up. By the time we got out to fix it on Sunday, 1/3 of the tarp had pulled up and needed to be spread back out. Once again, DH wouldn't believe me that it needed to be tied down (because he's an engineer, you know, and I'm just a librarian :roll: ) so instead he left a tool up there to weigh down that corner. I hope it holds until the roofers finally come. In good news, we have had 2 heavy rains since then and I have seen no leaks inside.

Of course, we can't start repairing the ceilings until the roof is replaced. I'm going to have to Call The Man again tomorrow and leave another polite message about "just checking in on the schedule to make sure we're ready for you on our end" -- though we've BEEN ready all summer. Originally he promised mid-August. The last message I got from him on Sept. 1st said they would be here last week. :|

Otherwise, I'm still fighting hard to sort through and get rid of things, and celebrating every time something leaves the house forever. Having said that, last night I placed an online order for a new sewing tool. I had to use up a gift card that was burning a hole in my wallet! :lol:

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:13 am

Good morning, Twins. We are quiet today, aren't we!

Just went down and put our 2nd LOL in the dryer. Dh did the colored load all the way to folding. Now it's up to me to get them put away. Have about 40 minutes before I go get this load. Going to do the dishes next up.

That's the first time I've heard the expression 'dust-up', Kathryn. I assume it means negative posts?

It's still dark in here as we closed all the shades last night to help keep the heat in. It was down in the 50's overnight. Understand the weather is supposed to get pretty wild tomorrow afternoon/evening. DS-A brought their motorhome out to camp for the weekend. They stayed the night last night. That turned out to be a good thing. We were watching AGT and I started hearing a beep every few seconds. Went in search of the source and discovered the CO2 alarm in our bedroom was beeping. Dh put in new batteries and came back out and sat down. Nope, kept on beeping. Made sure our stove was off. Finally called DS-A to see if he had a CO2 detector (firemen carry them) and he did so he came right over -after he made sure we were feeling okay. That checked out ok and I started hunting for the booklet on it. Aha! "After 7 years the alarm will beep signaling the need for a new device". Really? In the middle of the one show we watch all week? DS to the rescue -he got a new detector from his truck (also carried by firemen) and set that up. We were back in business. REally??? It's been 7 years!? Yep, time does fly. We've been having a problem with our furnace and haven't used it in over a week -using electric heat right now. Have a phone call in to our repairman but they're almost all at Hershey, PA. They had a big show down there all last week. Dh will probably try calling him again before he goes in the hospital on Monday. I'm sure this guy has a slew of messages by this time.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am

giving a quick but hearty hello to all of you!!!
I have to run but wanted to say hello!
have a great ta dah Thursday!!! Get er done!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 am

Seriously considering putting up a sign that says "Any cobs webs you see are intentional decor for fall!"? LOL! :mrgreen:
Got up w low b's today, delt w that 1st.

I have done vacuuming, swept, dust, shook rugs out, s2s, made & staged bed, kitchen is ready except for a quick mop after the dog goes out. I will do final put away on living room then also. I had already decided to do home blessing today and errands before I learned about the realtor showing.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:22 am

Good morning everyone. I am at payroll despite my trip to urgent care last night. I don't have enough sick leave left after surgery to skip work when I am only "not up to par". Obviously not much got done last night, I even forgot to set up some of the morning stuff. Before the UC visit, I did run a LOL, and dried it after, but it is not even removed from the dryer. The antibiotics I am on have some extremely nasty potential side effects. I am carrying the printout with me just in case. (This may be the only one I can use due to sulfa drug allergy).

I had to separate the cats because Thor and Loki are pestering Briggs. We may be changing Thor's name to Thorin Oakenshield. This is to prevent people from thinking they have to be adopted together. They are not a bonded pair by any stretch of the imagination. Like my usual fosters, they have simply come to a working arrangement. They can be adopted together, but I will neither encourage nor discourage it. Their only commonality is that they were both abandoned a year apart in the same park in Oklahoma and were found by the same person. Loki's name fits him and will not be changed!

The daily load is still processing. The fairies have not come to solve my changelog problems. Today's WTF: invitations to coworkers and arrange rabies vax for new cats.

ETA: It's almost lunchtime and the invitations and vax arrangements are made. Still not exactly ready to face lunch. I guess I could have the peanut butter crackers again. Even going out for Chinese fails to appeal. I have no idea what I am going to do with DD16 tonight. I doubt I will feel much like getting housework done either. Maybe I could send out some other invitations? Need to get the church list, animal org list, and the usual suspects.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Quiet here in our little village.

Booksaver, I sure hope that roofing company comes soon.

Elizabeth, take it easy while you're getting better. UTI's make me extremely cranky too (like I need an excuse).

I had a big project to take care of, lots of copying and sorting, and letters to write, and now both packets are ready to go to the post office. My dining room table is finally cleared off somewhat.

DH is out starting another project and I am notably anxious, but trying not to worry. So it is quiet here.

Hope you have good luck with the real estate people, Nancy. One of these times the right person will come along.

Twins, how do you organize and store all the records, pictures, stuff you get for a family's geneology? I don't have much, only going back a few partial generations, but stuff is stacking up. I wonder how you do it?

Ok, off to get something done!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:48 pm

The feed back to dated the were only here 5 min. I cannot help it if they want the updated kit. They are going to have to pay more for updates and have that done. I am getting used to midweek showings. We have a clean home to enjoy now.

Have 4 puppets completed. Watching knit & crochet now.

I am home now. We went to the library got to see the new updates they did there with their remodel project all summer it was closed, less tables to study at now, not sure I like the new way they have it. Found a place to get a more reasonable price for flu shot. Skipped W mart it was getting to stuffy. Walked dog at the fishing hole that was fun. Got a stick to make into a walking stick.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Wow, still on first page!

I gave myself exactly 4 hours at the library and did my best to stay on track. Dh is supposed to be home in 30 min and we are going to a fundraiser for a non-profit that a friend runs.

Harmony, I save it all electronically in Evernote and tag it with the counties and surnames so I can search and pull up everything that I have on that surname. For surnames that are common, I add a tag with the first name.

I need another trip to the library, but hopefully can finish what I need. I'm mostly using their fast wi-fi for FamilySearch, which stalls out here at home.

Return to “Post When You Can”