Saturday Seasoning

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Saturday Seasoning

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 pm

went for a lovely fall (not all the way yet) drive to the country side with dd older after picking up veggie juice for her and coffee for me- I love the horse farms and woods. lovely!
Thinking its time to start my morning walks in different forest preserves to see the changing of the leaves the next couple weeks.

Time to work... have a beauty of a day!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Yesterday it rained the entire day. So that meant the kids were inside and full of energy. The weather forecast had let us know to prepare for 4-6" of rain so I lowered the water in the swimming pool in preparation. Ugh. Our backyard looked like a lake. During the day I had to go out into the downpour and turn on the swim pool pump to dump more water in our backyard lake because the pool was at the top and I didn't want it to come into the house.

Because we were stuck at home during the downpour, DGS21 came over after he got off work and we tried a new recipe. It took a couple hours to prep & cook the Jambalay because there was 6 kinds of meat and 4 kinds of vegetables to chop up. And I doubled the ingredients. It turned out okay and was a perfect type of food for a cool rainy day. I rated the recipe as "Eatable but not repeatable". That was too much prep for me. I like to cook in a way that it doesn't take me longer to cook it than it than it does to eat it.

For an indoor activity, I gathered several metal yard decorations and set up the paints. I stuck the yard decorations into blocks of styrofoam to hold them steady while we put a fresh coat of paint on them.

When the rain let up and the roads weren't covered in water, then DGS21 and I went to town. We hit the thrift stores for him to find items for dressing up his furkids for Halloween. He puts a lot of thought & creative effort into designing a costume for his furkids. I already have DS10 costume pieces so I was just along for the companionship. However, I did find something that thrilled me. I found sewing machine cabinet in excellent condition that would fit perfectly in the spot that I have available for it. For a grand total of $16 I now have an amazing sewing center. I am so excited about this find and am looking forward to getting my quilting/sewing items organized.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 pm

At dd's. Just before leaving our house, ds finally texted and then phoned us. He has no power either but because he was going to a party, that didn't affect him, he just went to the party and slept there. He's with us now while he waits for his afternoon shift.

I have power now and internet so have had a lunch. I have orders for pizza to bring back to the apartment building when we come home.

I successfully toasted raisin bread in my counter top oven using 6 tea light candles. It took 30 minutes but after 30 minutes my oven thermometer read 200F. So now enough to cook something quickly but enough to reheat very, very, slowly.

They are now saying it will be days without power. Tomorrow I will have grab the most expensive food from the freezer and bring it here. Dd's fridge is empty because they are away.

BTW, the note she left me says NO PARTIES!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Harmony: as of now it is about 140,000 homes in the urban part of the city. Another 100,000 home in the rural part of the city and in Gatineau (which is across the river and Hydro Quebec.)

And it is spelled Ottawa (as in Ottawa, Kansas.)

So, this is why red-necks don't trust 24 hour news channels.

LOL: ds just got a call from a friend whose father contacted him telling him that I was looking for ds! I'm not friends with the dad on FB but did tag the friend so that's why he saw it.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm

poor sparrow is under our treadmill. one cat grabbed and then the other). poor thing. I got rid of the cats in the other room but the bird is bleeding and I can't reach it. praying i can help it. poor thing. I have to wait until one of the girls get home and help me lift it and I will try to fix it's wounds. poor thing.

I have been working in the three season room. going through stuff and paperwork. dh is running some donations over.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm

hi d kathryn and d lady

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

We've had way more dramatic storms than this one. But the time-lapse I took is at the time the tornado hit Gatineau. I'm in Ottawa, Gatineau is the city in Quebec across the Ottawa River. All angles of this video show Gatineau, far to the left, off screen is a large bedroom community, right across from me but hidden by the trees is a large commercial and bedroom community on the 'plateau' (up a hill from the river but below the Gatineau hills that you can sometimes see across from me), and to the right is the Hull Sector where all the government buildings are. It was the Hull Sector that had a lot of damage and they feel a tornado caused it.

It is the first time I've done a time lapse video. I found the setting on my phone yesterday while shooting the storm with my terrible point & shoot.

https://imgur.com/a/mSuzHeW

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:37 pm

getting stuck on decluttering.

in 2017 we had a lot of loss and I was so busy caring for others - cancer care, elderly, heart surgery d mom, worrying about dd younger's health and at the same time I was trying to learn so many different things. I didn't realize how crazy it was until I went back into my calendar/journal/bill lister. No wander I was stressed. I went through my papers that I threw together for learning and haven't been able to touch them. I was crazy ;) All of this had been in my 3 season room. Along with my baking etc. stuff that I was over doing as well. And I was working on the house.

dd older brought up the idea that d mom's calling, daily (most often) time together, talking about her health (even though the dr. says she is like a healthy 60 year old) and her worries and anxiety about her health may be triggering all the stress and care I had to do before. I was wondering why caring for my grandmother daily (physical and daily) and then my grand parents - not the responsibility physically but the emotional well being of both my d grandparents seemed so much easier. I was much much younger and healthier (newly married and then have both dd's) and the volunteer work etc. was busy but not stressed. I think she is right! my calendar showed the amount of work and stress I was under. elderly and heavy cancer care for a year + of d uncle, his loss on feb 5th, work on his house big time - dealing with his daughter, loss of sweet d mil same month, March 1 d mom's heart surgery and after care. makes a lot of sense - then trying to do all my learning and activities was crazy. don't get me wrong I enjoy talking to d mom and spending time with her. Now I have to figure out how to reduce the stress.

I want to work on the 3 season room but I will leave the bird alone a bit so it can rest and then when dd is home try to find it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Funnels forming and nearly forming throughout, Kathryn. Fascinating when that happens.

Tornadoes remain so instantly dangerous, in this age in which a hurricane is tracked for a week or more with so many specific paths patterned, just in case. A million loaves of bread are purchased for hurricane preparedness, and then, waiting if it slows ... .. is it a million and a half? A tornado just says, "Ha! You didn't buy bread lately, did you?"

LadyM! you and I have the same occupation today! :D :idea: :D I just took a photo in my sewing area/room after doing some rearranging. Sent it to the children for thoughts. I'm much happier with it. I think the room is more often called "Mama's quilt room" than anything else, but creativity is not it's only use, so more accurately I should say "area". What serendipity for you, to find the perfect furniture so reasonably. Wow!

((blessed)), re: bird and re: thinking-through. You are doing the best that anybody could do.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Funny about the bread, Harriet.

I got to the grocery store for a bit a of a stockup yesterday before the storm. Not because of the storm but because I was feeling strong enough and we had the car out to see dgs.

When you walk in the store from the parking lot, the sale bread is located there. When you come in from the road, it is at the far back corner so I seldom go to the bread department.

Yesterday, I grabbed a loaf of bread because we had just a 1/2 loaf left in the freezer. And a loaf of raisin bread, because I got extra points for it this week and it was on sale, and I thought I might have raisin french toast today. And a package of hamburg buns because I wasn't sure if we had many left and burgers were on the menu for last night.

So when the power went out, not only did I have bread, I had options and none was in the freezer! We debated going out to eat but as far as the eye could see there were no lights and there were cars backed up on the streets. So we couldn't walk anywhere (plus, it turned out with all the debris flying around, that was dangerous.) I had PB&J, dh had cheese separately and bread and jam he'd brought from Tanzania. Plus cut veggies, and fruit.

We had our regular breakfast this morning plus I made the toast to see if I could.

Dh doesn't eat lunch so I had a frozen dinner since I bought 5 yesterday and didn't want any to go to waste in the freezer. I think I'll loose the frozen veggies since they were on top and I had it open to get out bricks of ice.

Dh and I went for a walk. It is strange to walk in this neighbourhood without dgs! We've just ordered the pizza and will pick it up in 30 minutes. Then the long drive home, although we'll experiment with a slightly different route since there's construction on the freeway in the direction of home.

Return to “Post When You Can”