MAKIN' IT MONDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

MAKIN' IT MONDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am

My 'makin' it is just getting ready to go to the hospital. Dh's surgery is scheduled for 9:40.

LucyLee, actually dggd btoke her leg -in 2 places. Has a full length cast.

Better get going. Still have to finish getting stuff together. Want to take at least a short stroll once it gets light enough -if it does before we leave.

Have a good day everyone. I'll post when I get home from the hospital.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: MAKIN' IT MONDAY

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am

We'll be thinking of Mr Clutter today, Dee.

We got power back one minute after I closed my eyes. I missed any sound of it but had been listening to close by sirens, willing myself to not go look. Dh opened his eyes 10 minutes after it came on and his phone was lit up in clock mode so he noted it immediately.

We got up and emptied the freezers. Most of the stuff in the deep freeze was ok with only fruit and veggies lost. Everything in the fridge freezer was a goner but I already knew that.

A steak started to defrost so it is in the fridge for dinner tonight and there are some burgers to cook up.

I had a wonderful dinner party with 14 around the table last night. Some people stayed 2.5 hours around the candles just chatting. The Super helped me find isolated people, many we had never met. Through this we have finally got our elderly neighbour to trust us so she's been over a few times this weekend. After 4 years and 2 crises (the other was the building fire) finally she is comfortable with us. And a newcomer to our floor, also elderly, came just for tea and then was thrilled to be able to contact her niece to say she was fine using the Super's phone. Another attendee used one of our battery chargers to recharge his phone.

Dh just got off the phone with our internet provider. Thursday is the first appointment available. Sigh... So I will be on my phone's data a lot and dh will have to work at DD's.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 am

praying for your dh d dee!!!! thinking of you!

d kathryn so happy you had a wonderful dinner party!!!

hello everyone!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:43 am

I hogged out last night :o :shock: :roll: time to move forward.
ready to start.

have a great one everyone.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am

YEAH!!! I'm thrilled that Kathryn & Ken have power restored! Hopefully, the internet service will return soon too.

((((Dee & DH)))) Will keep you both in my thoughts & prayers today

I slept very well last night. I am thankful for that good sleep.

Today is a normal homeschool day. My walking partner is in her first year of homeschooling her 2 children. She is struggling to find the right curriculum for them. Listening to her tell what she has tried and is trying brings back so many memories of how I struggled and stressed the first year we homeschooled.

I will get DGD7 from school today. DD & DSIL are going on a 4-day motorcycle tour this week which means DGD7 will be here 100% Wednesday thru Sunday.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am

So, it's the fb for people in your building, Kathryn. I didn't get that at all. I understood you were living at dd's, but I guess you were only cooking there? That's great that the super helped you find people.

Dee, thinking about you and Mr. DeeClutter today.

And now Harriet becomes wordy - sorry.

Redneck - I think Cambridge or any other current dictionary is giving a kind of "urban dictionary" usage as far as what people only gravitate toward meaning with the word/phrase now. And that's fine, but it doesn't tell much. There are several real meanings and histories of the word in addition to that, and they shed more light on it and remind of lessons, for sure.

One that was very compelling to me when I learned it, comes from the nutritional deficiency disease pellegra, which was known as the Red Neck, or (by doctors) the Casal Necklace in Europe, after Gaspar Casal. Casal first described pellegra (pelle agra, meaning sour skin) in 1762, as having the identifying red on areas of skin exposed by the sun, particularly the neck. This disease continued to be discovered in Europeans who migrated to the other countries, of course. Anyone can get it, but doctors (or others) can spot the red rash quickly if the person's skin is lighter, hence more white people being noticed having the disease. During the 1800s the nutrition connection - often happening to poorer people or working class, field workers - was eventually fully understood by the masses and pellegra became rare during the 1900s. Casal was one of the first nutritional pioneers to show that what we don't eat can hurt us (pellegra can be cured by getting enough green vegetables).

Another that Protestants shouldn't forget is that the red neck was symbolic of The Scottish National Covenant around 1640. Many of the Scots Presbyterians - the Covenanters - who signed it (sometimes in their blood) wore red scarves around their necks to symbolize their willingness to risk beheading for the sake of religious freedom/beliefs, and were called Red Necks. The Covenanters became famous (or infamous) and that's probably why bandanas are traditionally red. (Something else that lends credibility to that history of "red neck" is that the corresponding term hill billy comes from the similar history/time of Irish Protestants with similar religious defiance.) During the turmoil of the West Virginia Mine Wars just a hundred years ago, a collective memory emerged, of the Red Necks and scarves as a symbol of defiance and honor. This resulted in the idea of striking mine workers (who may or may not have been Protestant) wearing red bandanas, and that's why West Virginians often consider the term their own, and endearing, a source of pride.

These memories combine and linger, and across the US, at least, become the reason that the term redneck is not so obviously negative as dictionary definitions tell us.

If I'd had more time, I'd have made all that shorter.

I have another epistle on naps. But I should be doing housework!

Norma

Postby Norma » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 am

Kathryn, I am amazed at what you do for people, especially your dinner party for residents. I am so glad your elderly neighbor will now be a good friend. Sorry about the loss of your freezer food.

Dee and DH - I am keeping you in my prayers today. Best to both of you.

Harriet - thank you so much for the info on "red necks". I did not know that and I am most interested as all of "my Scots" were Presbyterian and Daddy wanted my sister and I to be baptized Presbyterian. I have since converted to Catholicism, but remember that I have my Scottish roots in Presbyterianism. (I feel that if I learn something new everyday in my advancing age I did good!) :D
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 am

if I learn something new everyday in my advancing age

What a good plan, Norma! When do you expect to reach that age? ;) You're too young for advancing now! Just learning as you go, in your youth. :)

Extra laundry is up next.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:48 am

worked one hour emptying and cleaning shelves in the laundry room. washed behind the shelves and under them as well. now for put away. then a quick home blessing in that room.

HI d norma! love that you love to learn! awesome - have a great day

HI d Harriet! so so interesting!!! thank you for sharing your learning.

I additionally thought redneck was originally for poor farmers (politicians speak) that worked in the field in the US. I could be wrong - too lazy to look it up - loved learning the real reason from d harriet! - the last 50 years that redneck became almost like hillbilly in a derogatory way. (just as we imagine Hippie from the 60's and 70's as dirty and drug against society but there were so many people that were listed under hippies - based on dress, environmental back to the land, commune people, no war, so many visions of what it was just like now when people look back. I think of that comedian Jeff Foxworthy that used the line = You know your a red neck if... you look up redneck now - more a cartoon version - a racist, no teeth, beer belly no working crude individual (what white trash was)- negative view. I guess I used to think of a redneck as someone who worked hard in the field. Also making due with what they had in a creative way. Always working and not always having the resources that wealthier individuals had - survivors Now it is really a derogatory remark. Now you go into halloween stores and their is a rainbow look to the hippie cloths - not the dirty ones, and the redneck is beer belly- dirty individual. So so interesting what d harriet put down! I love the history of things.

HI d Kathryn! what a great idea to have a Facebook group for the building! so clever

hi d Lady! so happy you had great sleep! my d cousins daughter is going through the same thing!

I took a break - well back to working on what's working for you and and what's not working for you regarding my kitchen gear. My life has changed and I don't need 1/2 of the stuff anymore. Now that I have an instant pot I got rid of my very old pressure cooker, all of my cheese cake pans except one. any old or doubles of things. my water canner went out yesterday.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am

I am up and attem today. Living room zone is in good shape so I decluttered a few things in the small shop this morning yea for progress so early in the day and week. Waving to you all have a great one!
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”