Happy Thought Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Happy Thought Wednesday

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

before I fall into the computer I have to finish my home blessing.
I want to get my fall decorations up and get corn stalks and mums and it is so beautiful I might try to work outside.
I have bills/checking/charges to balance
dinner to make
Put away through out the house.
need to do a swish and swipe bathrooms
need to vacuum the 3 season room again
need to bless our bedroom
need to bless the halls

my family room has been blessed
my dining room spiffed and vacuumed
my kitchen work done (need to do a put away into the basement)
paperwork some done
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Dee: my boy is country for sure! He loves NYC for short visits and has tolerated living in the city but even when he was in Australia he spent the majority of the time out of Sydney and his job was at a resort in the country.

I'm just relieved that he hasn't bought a large acreage with the plan to live hidden inside woods. That has been his plan for the past 4 years. I don't know how many places I've looked at on satellite maps and there was the abandoned ski hill that we hiked up. Yes the views are amazing, but there's something to be said about having neighbours nearby in case of emergency. The last acreage he seriously looked at was full of biting bugs as he hiked to the river so I think that cured him of that idea. Anything he could afford was mostly wetlands. Sounds better if you say wetlands than swamp!

With this place, he can walk into the town so he isn't impossibly far out although he'd have to ride a bike for groceries since they put the tiny grocery store out at the main highway (which now bypasses the town.) He has friends living in the town so he's arriving with an 'in' to the community. Plus he's easy-going and helpful, well suited to rural life.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm

There's a storm blowing over us right now. It got dark and the wind has come up. But no weather warnings and it will be short lived.

Someone commented on the FB group about when the heat would go on because it was so cold. Today's feels-like temp is 89 so I'm relieved the heat isn't on. We're in in-between season, the chillers are off and the boiler isn't feeding the radiators. It will stay like this until the forecast shows the apartments will drop below 61 through the night. The person complaining put her bed next to the patio door and it is drafty and cold. I suggested an electric mattress pad or blanket. I also warned her about how dry the apartments will get.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:07 pm

hi d kathryn
hi d elizabeth
hi d nancy
hi d lucy
hi d lady
hi d all!

front hall blessing done, swish and swipe in powder room done.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 pm

BIG relief! Homeschool Day #49 of 5th Grade is done. It was a rough one because DS10 attitude had to be adjusted several times. I highly suspect part of his attitude is at least partially related to ADHD, ODD, OCD symptoms. However, I am not going allow him to acts like a spoilt brat without some correction. I stop everything and we work on being respectfully then resume his lesson. Repeat. Repeat. repeat. Raising children is not easy. Raising a child with extra challenges is even harder.

We have only taken 3 days off this month so we have no homeschool lessons the last 2 days of the month. YES!!

I have to be out the door to take DS10 to band class in 10 minutes. Then hurry back to pick up DGD7 from public school. *POOF*
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 pm

I walked the dog it is sweater weather here.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm

I can't believe it's past two p.m. After my body work (felt aligned and balanced like a tire) I went to the nail salon and had the gel nails removed. They had a wait for pedicures but jumped me to the front of the line since I only had to soak a bit and nails buffed and I was out of there.

It is raining big time here and they have let school out because of possible flooding on roads. Coming home I passed an area where the manhole covers were spouting water from below. I decided to come on home and get Shipt to deliver my groceries so ordered when I got home. :) Dmuffin is lying on our back patio watching the rain come down. She's good going out into it when she has to potty; she just loves being outside. I love knowing that she's not going to wander right now and I don't have to be there with her.

I've sent off an email with some questions to the Pro Gen mentor. I had a few - some formatting, some what needed to be included in the report.

I have decided to implement a three month plan beginning on Monday to get my three generation family narrative done for my portfolio. Or, at least to have a good draft, and a list of any additional research I need at the end of three months. This was the last big Pro Gen assignment, and next month's assignment is polishing and completing what I just turned up. I'm enthusiastic and need to get it done. I decided on the family a long time ago and have done some research with that in mind, although I'll need more.

Trying to figure out the rest of the afternoon.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Twins: I'm still not dressed either. I need to s2s but I had to read the company income tax filing and then sign and return to the accountant. That is done.

Ds just called, the counter offer is still too high.

There is another house next the the 'perfect' one that he wanted (which is next to his friends) and it can be had for $205K. It is too big (4 bedroom) and is not move-in ready (needs new roof and siding plus a lot of repairs inside due to it being a foreclosure.) But add $30K of repairs to it and one would have a much nicer house than buying the rural house for the same $$$. So poor ds has a ton of thinking to do. He really wanted move-in ready.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 pm

I just went through the 35 pages of receipts proving the work done on the house. Not one scrap of paper to document the living room addition. The specific scraps we are looking for are building permits (we're pretty sure it was put in this year) and electrical inspections (the other agent said the owner, a contractor, did the work himself.)

They've done a tremendous amount of work over the 10 years they've owned the place. They raised it up and put in a full basement and put in a basement bedroom. They put in a new kitchen, flooring everywhere, siding, bathroom, plumbing, electrical, insulated, did a heck of a lot of work on the water supply add three filters (talk about a red-flag), two new decks, windows, a new covered front porch, and repaired the quite new septic system. They moved one shed closer to the house and built another with power and water.

They gave us receipts for $55K of work and we know what they paid for the place. It looks like they want $60 - 80K over the normal increase in value for that area. In other words, this is a very slow motion 'flip'. If he's a contractor as we've been told, that makes sense. My guess is they did the bulk of the work in the year after they moved in, hiring professionals for the big work (lifting the house and pouring the new foundation, plus residing and window installation), then doing all the inside finishing work during his slow season. Unlike Mr. Harmony, we have 4 months of the year where most contracting work is not done because renovations done in the cold often have issues (shingles won't seal, concrete is more expensive to cure since you have to bring in heaters.) Not to mention the danger of trying to do ladder work in icy conditions.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm still banging my head on report optimization. If you want history, it's hard! Blast that changelog! I've eaten and so, of course, feel miserable. I have to go to dinner with a friend tonight. Normally a good thing, but I would do so much better right now if I didn't have to eat. Most of the patients my gastro doctor sees with my diagnosis are either on very limited or completely liquid diets. A few are completely tube fed. REALLY don't want any of that!

I expect to get my car back tomorrow.

Return to “Post When You Can”