First Friday of Fall

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: First Friday of Fall

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:32 pm

What a day.

DS10 woke us with a croupy coughing spell. Ugh. You know those coughs that sound like a sick seal? That's what it sounded like. He has been complaining of a sore throat for a couple days but each time I used a light to look down his throat it looked fine. Then DS10 said his ears are popping. So I called his pediatrician and was able to get DS10 worked in at 3pm.

I decided to attend the tour this morning since it was already paid for and I was fairly sure DS10 wasn't contagious. So we spent 3 hours at Aquarium. About 2 hours into the guided tour, DGD7 came to me and said she didn't feel good. I asked her what was wrong and she said her stomach hurt. But then it was time to feed the turtles and she instantly felt better. I hoped it was a momentary thing and we continued with the tour. By the time the tour was over DGD7 felt really bad. She fell asleep in the car coming home.

I stopped at the deli on the way home and got items to serve for lunch. I had no time to prepare a meal myself.

DGS21 and DH were waiting on me when I arrive home. We ate lunch and then it was time to leave to drive to DS10 doc appointment.

DS10 tested negative on strep and his lungs are clear but he has an ear infection and is congested. We came home with 10 days of antibodies for him to take (3 times a day).

While I was getting DS10 prescription filled, DH called and said DGD7 had been sick to her stomach twice and had diarrhea over 10 times since I left. DGD7 had to change clothes several times and DH had cleaned up several accidents when she couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. Ugh. I called DD and told her what was going on. DD said she might come home tomorrow instead of Sunday if DGD7 doesn't get better. DD is a 5 hour drive from here so I am hopeful DGD7 doesn't need to go for medical treatment. We have given her over the counter meds and are hopeful they will calm DGD7 intestinal woes.

Two sick kids with different things. Ugh. What're the chances that DH and I won't get one or both sets of germs. Double ugh.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:38 pm

I took a walk around the block to see what a noise was, kids were using whips in coybow shirts, a bunch of tables like for a wedding reception in the back yard. It was lovely.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Back home from househunting. This is so discouraging.

On the way to the first house we drove through the destruction of the tornado as it cross a side road on its way across the river. It was sobering to see all the twisted trees. We get downed trees all the time but not like that.

House one: in what used to be a cottage community. Glimpses of the river through the trees but up high on a hill, no risk of flooding and road should be safe too.

Walk in and the house smells of air freshener and tar. It is also weirdly laid out but I can deal with that. It is a bungalow set on the side of a hill so front has basement access at ground level, back has windows barely above ground level. There's an addition built on top of the garage roof. Badly. Carpet over the old tarred flat roof of the garage. Hence the smell.

Falling down greenhouse also attached, and a basement that needs gutting. Dh is disgusted and I tell him, and later the agent tells him, this is by far not the worst we've seen! That's what you get in that price range.

Ds continues to study everything carefully and we realize he hasn't eliminated it. There's a barn at the back with no access until I spot a road leading in from a campground. With $100K in renovations, this would be a good value home. Ds barely has enough for the house so, while the old core of the house is very move-in ready, too much of it is not. And the taxes and utilities add up to over $500 per month. Nope, this is not the home for ds. Dh eliminated when he realized there was no cell phone service!

Second house, built 1950. Nope, they lie. It had to have been built around 1920 or before. It stunk badly and anytime a house smells that bad and has a wetvac in the basement along with 2 dehumidifiers, you walk away from it. Ground floor was very nice, bedrooms too small. Attic was scary.

Last house looked like a 1990's or 2000 bungalow. It had a story to tell but we couldn't tease it out by looking around. My guess is it was built as a cottage on a crawl space foundation of some sort. A very long time ago (1950s or before.) We put dh's bullet pen on the kitchen floor and it rolled away. It rolled in the opposite direction in the living room. No idea what the foundation was because it was hidden behind insulating panels in the basement and siding on the outside. No way it was poured concrete (the claim.) The beams holding up the floors looked dodgy and were being jacked up. Hence the floors above.

The house was also small but with a usable attic accessed by a ladder. The master bedroom was on a concrete base addition with carpet over it. Great lot, though.

We left dejected and had dinner out before dropping ds at home in time for him to work a 12 hour shift. Had a hard time finding a restaurant. Elton John has a concert here tonight and the first place we stopped had no parking in the parking lot or down the sideroads, despite it being 5:10 and the middle of nowhere. So we drove into the city a bit more and got into a chain restaurant before a HUGE rush.

Ds's agent is still waiting for the building permit info for the house in the country ds put an offer on. If that shows up, increasing the offer to something less insulting would probably be our best bet. Come to think of it, it is the only house we've looked at that didn't smell. I smelled of the second house we saw today for over an hour after.

I feel so sorry for ds. He is very discouraged.

I've tidied up the kitchen and had some tea. I'll go get ready for bed now so I'm ready when dh wants to go to bed. He's also discouraged. He leaves tomorrow and is not ready for this trip.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:06 pm

You sure have your work cut out for you,Kathryn.

Dd worked the pre-season game at Orlando between TheTampa Bay Lightning & Florida Panthers last night - off ice official. She met some of the powers that be & they asked for her resume. Her cohorts at Orlando told the TBL guys they would hate to lose her. She did give them her resume. So we'll see what will be. She loves hockey.

Had customer appreciation night at the Pub tonight. Went down for a while. Sat with DS-R, Dillon, dgs13 & our dsonil.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Oh, (((LadyM & dh))) — Hope the little ones feel better soon and y’all don’t catch anything.

(((Kathryn & ds))) — how frustrating.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 am

H had an interesting day at work he share over dinner. They are having a party on the street behind us. Dishes need put away., laundry is going. Waiting for the washer to switch off so I can change the clothes over to the dryer.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:20 am

sorry I couldn't come back - it ended up being my errand day all day = I am waving at all of you
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”