Make your own Wednesday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Make your own Wednesday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Hmmmm W-words for my day

Weepy
Wonderful
Waste
Worshiping
Weather
Wrong
Woozy
Weary

Obviously it was a weepy day but not that much since I didn't know my cousin's son well (at all, really) so my tears were more of empathy than personal loss.

It was wonderful in a way because one of my favourite cousins and her husband made it from Ontario. We saw them a bit before and after the funeral and then we had a lovely dinner with them this evening (along with the father of the deceased.) We ate at dUnc's favourite restaurant and were sat at the same table for six they had sat at last October with dUnc, dcousin and K. Now K and dUnc are buried next to each other.

The death was a waste of such potential. And so many opportunities when things could have been put right. The mother took the twin boys away when they were small, to the extent that her new husband adopted them and she willfully raised them in a way that encouraged recklessness, pushing limits and wildness, which led to the situation we find ourselves in today.

I will be surprised if I'm not back here for the second funeral within six months. Each person I informed of the death this past week corrected me, saying "You mean C, not K." And I had to set them straight.

The service was over-the-top but the minister's prayer with us before we went in and the graveside were quite good. Some of them were canned (i.e. I've used them before from our worship material resource book) but that's acceptable; they were ones I've chosen in the past because they said what I wanted people to hear. So there were elements of worship. Last night when I went for my walk I was humming a tune that I realized was the sung version of the Lord's Prayer so I've been singing that a lot in the last 24 hours.

The weather held all day. It was supposed to rain on and off. Instead it has been warm (60s) and a soft breeze after a lovely sunrise this morning. The rest of the day was cloudy but dry.

I only made two wrong turns all day, both easy to recover from. The second was directly caused by the concussion - driving in the dark is hard, my sister was talking, I got listening to her instead of tracking where I was and turned left because I thought I had to turn off the road I was on. The road had bent on its own but in the dark, I hadn't realized it.

I'm woozy from all the stimulation. So much noise at times but the worst was surrounded by bagpipes, just 10' from me, playing in the church. I love bagpipes, but I could feel my head melting down. The reception right after had at hundreds of people talking (there were 750 at the funeral plus all the firemen in the overflow room) and I finally told my sister I had to go outside because it was too much.

The 90 minute drive there was a chance to settle a bit.

The graveside was much quieter and the sound of the wind in the trees was calming. I had plenty of time to listen to it because, although we got there on time, the mother didn't and then, after getting there 10 minutes late, decided we should all wait until the next half hour before starting so we literally stood on the side of a hill waiting for 20 minutes to go by.

The drama today was a bit much. Everything was over-the-top with little space for processing feelings. It was a 90 minute funeral but it had few genuine moments. My cousin was left out of so much of the process. The graveside was much nicer because it was more relaxed and quiet and out in the open. My cousin was in his element until his ex showed up. Then he blended in with the crowd while she stood front and centre with her current husband, until he came forward to lower his child into the grave. That's when I started to weep.

I'm weary so think I'll start off to bed. I've had a cup of decaf tea to try and settle myself. It isn't working and holding my body upright is hard.

Ds just wrote to say he put a low offer in on the house we saw last week. We'll see what happens.

I promised dgs a video call tonight so I'll try and keep that in mind while doing a bit of packing. I'm looking forward to getting out of my dress clothes.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm

hugs and prayers to all.

(((Kathryn))) I'm glad you are 'home' to rest safely, and the worship suited so well.
Certain personalities are difficult, and funerals make much more for over the top 'personality' differences.
You were brave to drive in the dark, imo.
I would have accepted being driven, and ouch to the sister's reaction to that, so you are much more dedicated to keeping the peace than me.

((((All the Southern families)))) monstered by Michael. Prayers for their safety, and ease in the aftermath.
The truth is for many the way 'back' is difficult as there is not a great deal left of the old life they had,
so prayers for all those unknown folk. inc all those impacted by past devastating storms who are yet to recover.

Prayers for Villagers that are yet to be able to CI.

I need to move myself today, and am yet to make much movement. I have done 50 + 20 pullups and pushups using a post on the veranda, so that is one thing.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Kathryn, it's good you went, even though the emotional roller-coaster sounds difficult right now. Bagpipes inside? that surprises me.

There is just dreariness of weather here, not rough. Then tomorrow we go soppy, but if trees don't fall from pure loss of foothold, we'll be okay. Was at grocery today just because I went with HRH on another errand, and he thought of grocery. He made a joke about all the bread on the shelves. Certainly shows that shoppers in our area are not expecting much problem.

Thinking of Sunny, but then I may not know exactly where folks are. Seems like to me she might have it rough.

... rampant sewing projects.

:D Elizabeth

I'm zeroing in on a finish of another quilt block.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm

We do bagpipes inside, but not normally that many at such close quarters! But our weather means inside performances in rinks, large halls, etc.

I put on an episode of Nashville and was able to get most of the packing done. I've got Olbas Oil with me (eucalyptus and menthol) so I'm using that as my overnight decongestant (the pharmaceutical one is not good for night-time as it makes me hyper.) I'll take an allergy pill to help combat the feather pillow. I shouldn't have feather bedding and I suspect that was contributing to my coughing in the night but today I've coughed all day. On the plus side, I've had a lot of water!

I'm off to bed now. Good night!

(If anyone is aware of how WebWoman is doing in the storm, please update us here too!)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 pm

I can't come up with a W for today.

I am a little dismayed at the damage up there from the storm and what those people will be going through now and for a long time to come. Having gone through the recovery of same I'm filled with empathy for those people.

We just had little gusts of wind and rain on and off all day. Sunny and I were on the phone together and she had similar. I'm glad neither of us had flooding.

Down south of us along the coast the pictures are of many inches of sand washed in up against the doors and covering outside furniture, etc.

The best thing that happened is that pesky 2nd thread stitch on my wisdom tooth hole finally came out. It was quite sore the past 2 days but doesn't hurt at all now that it's gone.

RRose, glad you're feeling better.

Return to “Post When You Can”