Thursday Thirst for Knowledge

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Thursday Thirst for Knowledge

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 am

What helps you now as a homemaker that you would never have thought, in the past, that you would learn or use?

What thirst for knowledge gives you an edge?

Here, school is not happening after all ... hmmm... ..
And even dd's univ sent out an overnight message cancelling.
We still think toddlerC's little "school" at a local church will be going on,
but we're aware that ds may know differently by now and hasn't bothered us yet.

No matter what, I have dgs7 today until his Daddy can leave work.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Thursday Thirst for Knowledge

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

Hoping you're not too terribly impacted by Michael, Harriet.

I have to leave in about 20 minutes to 1) visit my friend of Co-Op days, 2) get a perm and 3)stop at A ldi's. Looking like at least mid-afternoon before I return home. Then we're meeting DS-R and family for dinner at 6. He was here last night while we were at dfriends' house for dinner. Mowed our lawn -so nice when people are so willing to do it. We could have it done by the campground, but we've always done our own. When our neighbor next door is here he always mows both their and our lawns. Certainly been a good year for that being done for dh.

I was up at 11 wondering if dh had taken a funnel out of a pail (he uses a system he designed for winterizations). Went out and it had already rained and he'd definitely forgotten to take the funnel out. So I did and hopefully not much rain got in. We were already in the 70's early today but it's going to start sliding this afternoon.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

I'm always learning something! Usually it's just boring regulations... as far as housekeeping goes I wish I knew a better, easier, quicker way to keep all this done.

Grey rainy day here. More so than yesterday. Weird. No wind though, that's all past us. DH is trying to get things done and can't because people put off doing stuff yesterday because they thought it would be raining all day (which it didn't) and now companies are all backed up.

On to other problems, waiting for phone calls, tried e-mail, can't seem to raise anybody on the other end. Trying to get a project wrapped up...so when I get this info it will mean a trip out to 2 places. Hoping it's soon rather than later.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:48 am

Sorry, I can't play the game with you Harriet, my head just isn't up to thinking. Knowledge is low on my list of priorities at the moment, getting through today is my top priority.

I've racked my brain for every cold treatment tip I can think of and implemented as many as possible. The one I really need to implement is lying down. That ain't gonna happen. I still have to drive to the airport, then gas up and return the car. I have my boarding pass on my phone so that means I can walk straight to security after I get rid of the car and once through that, I can stop thinking until it is time to meet dh. He'll take care of me from that point onwards.

I should check his flight is on time. He emailed me just before boarding.

I'm packed except for my computer. I put my compression socks on this morning but switched to hiking socks because they were hurting through breakfast.

I've downloaded podcasts to listen to. I'm debating downloading an episode of Nashville since I have an hour wait before take-off but I don't think I can keep my eyes open.

Lunch will be in Ottawa while I wait for dh but I have snacks until then and ate a large healthy breakfast.

Dinner will be whatever dh wants. I'll be in bed.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 am

Good morning! Despite feeling utterly miserable last night, I managed to get a fair amount done. Much needed LOLs were run, but not put away. LR put away/declutter is progressing. Fabric purchased for part of DD16's costume's sleeves. (Basically a wrap, which can be accomplished by pins if I run out of time). Still need to find spiders for her. I stayed up too late with pain rather than goofing off. I took a quarter of a post surgical pain pill to deal with cramps and migraine. I needed another quarter for the cramps. I hope menopause hits before I need another endometriosis surgery. My bank account cannot handle another surgery right now. When I finally got to sleep at 1 am (11 is my usual), foster cat B turned yowly. He is bored and lonesome because L&T are locked in my bedroom meaning he is not on my bed.

The daily data loads behaved themselves today. Still no word from the x who seems put out that I don't trust him. (Because adulterers are such fundamentally honest people).

The surprising thing that helps me is FlyLady. If you had told me in grad school that I would be following a website for homemakers, I would have looked at you like you were a three headed Martian.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:20 am

I have done most if my a m stuff this morning plus 2 outside things from yesterday that I had to wait on. Laundry is going waiting on the washer. Got one load folded. I had to laugh flylady said she ties a knot in her shoe laces and tucks them in her shoes so she can slip them on and off she doe not even lace them up! So slip on shoes are ok! :mrgreen: spiffed up a bit here. I need to cook califlour. More laundry is going now. I get preformed hamb patties I will get an extra package for the freezer it is pretty empty. When we cleaned the freezer this summer it did not get restocked. I made one meal ahead. :roll: more laundry. Walked the dog. Laundry is done.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 am

I would love to know where my boarding pass is.

Thankfully I saved an electronic copy.

I also carefully folded and lost 7 tissues. And had Dh's water bottle confiscated.

Not a good day so far.

My head hurts, I'm woozy and all I want to do is crawl into a bed. That is hours away.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm

DPCs done. Two cats are seeing the vet for microchips. One may also be getting dental cleaning soon. He certainly will be getting it sometime within the next year. He is not in an immediate crisis, but it can't be ignored for very long. Price is reasonable.

Tonight I have DD16. If we stay home, I want to work on her costume. Then I need to do more LR declutter. Next focus will be MBR declutter. Right now focus is federal order history.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello everyone. A quick check-in; hope I can get my thoughts in a coherent order!

First of all, I am glad Harmony posted last evening. I tried to look in, but was too sleepy to concentrate for long. We had overcast clouds all day and a few squalls go through. It was quite blustery at those times, but no flooding and just a few branches down from the tree over our driveway. It is only partly cloudy here today. I'm afraid that Harriet may be getting worse weather than we did here. I hope any other SHEs living in the Carolinas are safe. I will be checking later on dFam#3 and dh's best friend who lives in Suffolk.

(((Kathryn))), I wish you a good trip home; I know you will be happy to rest in your own bed again!

I am always looking for an easier, more effecient way to do my housekeeping. Experience has taught me a lot since I was first married and on my own. Also the better cleaning supplies and tools make it easier to make our homes clean and comfortable for our families. (I still have more to learn regarding organizing and decluttering though.)

So this afternoon is Desk Day. I have some bills to pay and checkbook to balance. I also have two loads of laundry, one is washer and one in dryer, to finish.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm

I've landed. The flight was rough in places and there was/is no view (I'm now sitting overlooking the tarmac.) Completely fogged in here. But it is still warm here, like Dee has

Turned on my phone while still in the plane and there was a message from ds saying to call. There has been a counter offer on the house that was below the price he was willing to pay!

I ducked into the lounge here (the hostess was missing so I got by the desk) and sat in a quiet office room and phoned him to talk. He had completely forgot I was away in Nova Scotia.

I've now got some chili and a bun and am having my lunch.

Dh arrives in 30 minutes but then has to clear immigration (he's coming from Europe.) I'll leave the air-side area after his plane arrives. There are more quiet and comfortable places to wait on this side than arrivals. Usually a better view as well!

Return to “Post When You Can”