peaceful Sunday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: peaceful Sunday

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:40 pm

cheering you on d dee!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I was awake before 6 and I didn't want to disturb dh, so I got up. I have been going, going, going ever since.

I deliberately invited someone for supper tonight and I am doing a traditional Newfoundland dish called a Jiggs Dinner. It involves buying a bucket of salt beef and having to rinse it numerous times in the few days leading up to when you have the supper. Part of the tradition is that in Newfoundland you have it on Sundays. You find the biggest pot you have and put the meat in 3 hours before you intend on sitting down to eat. You also put the turnips in at this point. They should be peeled and cut into quarters lengthwise if they are thick. Try to find thin carrots as well. Usually 1 carrot per person. You also put the turnip in at this point . The cabbage wedges go in an hour later. The potatoes go in an hour after that. There is also a cotton bag full of split yellow peas that go in when you put the meat in.

Looking at the clock. I have to go peel the veggies.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Sounds pretty interesting, Cathy. Give us the "yum" details later when you find time.

Just finished doing up meds for dh and me for the next 2 weeks. Also combined a lot of bottles of pills and have a plastic grocery bag pretty full of pill bottles ready to go to church to be recycled.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:26 pm

hello d Cathy and d dee~!

heading out to fabric lesson and follow dd younger.
decorations are out. keeping halloween simple this year.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 pm

I've had this numerous times in the past few years. I've also had it in Newfoundland served to me by one of my older cousins. It was amazing. Unfortunately we had eaten after we got off of the plane before the 1 hour drive to her house. Her house is across the back fence from my grandfather's house where my sister and I were staying. My sister now owns our grandfather's house. Unfortunately I haven't been east in over 2 years.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Rearranged my closet and removed everything that I want to take south with me. Next up will be to get some things out of our dresser. Been debating whether to take 2 pair of capris that are fairly worn but still good, especially for a working day. Guess I'll wait and see how much extra space I have.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Cathy - Jiggs Dinner sounds simply wonderful! I don't remember ever hearing of it before.

Church and lunch with family & friends were very good today. I am feeling very blessed.

DS10 has a good group of neighborhood boys to play with. There are 5 boys the same age within block or so of us. They play outside together for hours and hours almost every day. I like DS10 being active outside and playing so much. We are gradually giving DS10 more privileges in where he is allowed to ride his bike with friends. The maximum he can ride is 1 mile (the diameter of our town). I have an app that allows me to watch in real time DS10 location on the map as he rides. It is only because we live in such a small town with very little traffic that we allow him this freedom with his friends. DH and I have discussed the pro/cons and are in agreement. If DS10 attitude or group of friends change then we will reevaluate this decision. Even with 40+ years of experience raising children, I still don't know if we are making the right choices. It a hard to find a balance between giving enough freedom for him to soar without giving more than he is ready for.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 pm

I did have the makings for a pot of chili, albeit different brands/types of chili beans & tomatoes. Cooking the beef right now, then will add the other ingredients and let it simmer away. Thanks for the idea, Twins.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Turns out that we aren't having company after all. My friend needs to stay home because she is having tummy troubles.

Darn... my island is almost clear. Too bad I don't have enough energy for that final push to clear the rest of it.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:35 pm

so happy to see you d Cathy!

Return to “Post When You Can”