Thursday Time

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: Thursday Time

Postby lucylee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Time… time…
I may be the only one here who has such a problem with time. I think it is inherited from my dad. He always seemed to think there were more than 24 hours in a day, and he always seemed to think that one could leave the house at the time the event began, and make up the time on the road.
I do much better in some ways now, b/c dh has that internal clock some of you were speaking of. He over-estimates how much time he needs for tasks sometimes, but he is almost never, ever late for anything. He feels a lot of time PRESSURE though, and I guess I rebel against that sometimes, thinking it is better to just relax a little and go with the flow.
I also do not regulate my time well without the enforced bell-schedule of school. I know, as you said, LadyM, I could set myself alarms and adjust my daily routine to my personal “bell” schedule… but it would still be difficult for me to discipline myself.

It DOES help me immeasurably to track the time certain tasks take, using my cards & timer, and then I can adjust my attitude, thinking, “This is only going to take 10 minutes; there is no reason at all to put it off.”

Being a late riser is almost embarrassing to me, but at this point, I find it easier to adapt to dh’s schedule and I’ve tried to reassure myself that, while yes, most of you have accomplished a 1000 times more than me by 10:00 a.m., I probably do more AFTER 10:00 p.m. than many of you! (Not EVERY night! Last night I slept and slept and slept.)
DH has always said his grandfather had that internal clock Rose was speaking of – he never needed to set an alarm to get up at whatever time he wanted to in the morning. I would never trust myself without an alarm!

Anyway… today I am consciously taking time OFF. I have been in a rush every morning since Sunday and there has been something I had to do each day, and I am just tired of it.

We had planned to go to the fair tonight, but I am afraid rain is going to put a halt to that. The two largest churches in our county had a joint Fall Festival scheduled for tonight, a MAJOR event for them, and they have cancelled already. It’s not raining here now, but there is 80% chance today and 90% chance tonight. We can't really make a decision until ddil gets home from work, so we'll just wait and see.

Good luck with your writing, Twins! Sounds like you have a good plan for completion. And have fun at the event tonight. I think your dh’s partner’s wife sounds about as excited as you are about the whole thing, LOL! Maybe you two can have a good time together.

There’s Nancy, up at 4:45… my mother does that a lot. She just wakes up and can’t go back to sleep. WTG, Nancy, getting an early start to the day!

LadyM, I think anyone who had an experience like yours would feel apprehensive when road conditions were similar.

Blessed said --
or when depression kicks in bc I don't think I am enough... house keeper, as a wife and mother and family member, etc. If I keep up with things I don't feel that as deeply and then my depression/lack of feeling enough stays away - normally happy.

(((BIG HUGS))), blessed. I know what you mean – my mood CAN affect my time management and productivity in a big way also, AND, likewise, being productive affects my mood in a positive way as well. It’s kinda a double-edged sword, I guess. I KNOW if I get up and DO something, I will feel better… but it is still difficult to make that move. I guess that’s where the “15 minute” thinking is very helpful. Ha! I should probably have that engraved over every doorway in the house… “I can do anything for 15 minutes, and I will feel better if I do.”

Elizabeth! Did I miss something? You finally got actual receipts from the X? That is WONDEFUL! Was he being truthful about what you owed?

And there is Rose, with Christmas shopping just about done…

Did I tell y’all, dh is very opposed to spending Christmas money shopping until after Thanksgiving. This bothers me a little bit; I personally had rather spread it out over a few paychecks. But I’m trying to go along with him here and I am beginning to put items in my “cart” on A mazon, etc. and then I plan to go in on Black Friday and check out.

Dee – (((HUGS))) as you continue with trip-prep. There’s a lot to think about when you’re closing up a mobile home for a winter season, isn’t there? Have a safe trip and enjoy the warmer weather!

am overwhelmed and haven't gotten to today
. (((Harriet)))

I have also been overwhelmed! I apparently lost a complete post Tuesday and I have no idea how that happened...
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:24 pm

HRH has felt lousy with fever for several days, though nausea was only on the first night and very mild. Had to call the dr since they worry so about kidneys. (and quite right to do so - we appreciate it) He feels better now, has had a more normal lunch, rather than jello and saltines! (I still made more jello, though. He'll smile to see it in fridge, I think.) His appetite may be back.

Dd will finally have a day that doesn't keep her away from dawn to night. She and I need to get onto housecleaning together.

I bought a funny orange and black set of paper plates, napkins, cups, so with the crepe paper I think her Sat evening party is covered. Found out that it is a pot-luck (smart girl), so that takes some of the burden off of our household for the buffet. I just hope her Dad feels better by then, although he's been saying for a long time that he has no intention of even peeking in, lol. She says party will break up around 10, since so many have early work schedules and a few have early classes. She plans on keeping movies on the whole time - I assume scary? But hope scary-funny? (too much to ask for just Ghostbusters at PG rating, maybe? :? ;) )

I finally came upon a photo of a quilt block I just can't seem to draft a pattern for, by myself. (But I did awaken this a.m. with a plan for drafting it, and may yet manage it.) Dd took the photo with her this a.m. to see if she can just resize it for me in the art dept.

Next up, laundry folding.

But first, on time.... ..
I think the general type of person we are can have a huge bearing on how we think about time.
Because I am an optimist, I always think I'll have enough time, or that I can add in one more thing, or I under-estimate the time a project will take.
Because I am an introvert, I consider my "free time" a LOT. I dream of time to read, sew, watch an informative video no one else would probably like.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:29 pm

Tuesday was the day I went on a trip with my teacher group. It was not far -- but I did not have any idea exactly where we were going, and "I used my courage" as dgs would say and rode with three other ladies to the house we were visiting.
It was soooo much fun! The house was just amazing -- these people have renovated/rebuilt two log cabins into a 5000 sq foot, two-story home, and it is just beautiful, and sooo interesting. They are huge collectors of antiques -- for example, we got to listen to an original Edison cylinder player.
There is absolutely no telling how much money these people have invested (nor the man-hours) but it is beautiful, and they were so nice and so down-to-earth. They are both published authors and just happened upon this house in our area, which had set empty for four years and was about to fall in.
As a bonus -- we were pleased to find out that many of us knew the original builder, a man about dh's age, who actually had died in the bedroom of the house. He had quite a tragic life -- multiple marriages and history of drug and alcohol abuse -- but he was a talented builder, obviously.

So I gave myself a big ta-da for going on that trip.

Tuesday night we had the grands, and yesterday had dgd till around 9:30.
Then we both gave ourselves a big ta-da for going to the Book Fair. Oh my... what a crowd of people! But dgs was so surprised and happy that we came, and he had a ball taking us around the school to the library.
Last night, we went to the Fall Festival at what I guess could be called our "sister church" here in the county. I spent most of the night with the dgrands, but thoroughly enjoyed myself.
It is sooo nice to see dgs coming out of his reluctance to play with others.
He also told us that he was doing announcements on the intercom this week at school. He loves that. One little girl -- probably a third or fourth grader -- told me last night that she heard (dgs) on the announcements and that her teacher said, "(DGS) just makes everyone smile." He seems to be quite popular and well-known with the faculty and staff at his school. I imagine that could backfire on him some day, but OTOH, maybe it will make teachers a little more aware of any bullying that may occur as a result of him being somewhat "different" than others? I have NEVER witnessed any bullying, I must say -- he actually seems popular with other children -- but I worry because sometimes he is so oblivious to their efforts to include him. That was why I was so happy to see him want to join in last night.

So -- sorry for writing a book for y'all! It's just the first chance I've had to get the computer and have some time that dh wasn't wanting something or dgrands weren't playing Chase and Scream (LOL) all around the house! (DH is getting a haircut at the moment.)
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

He always seemed to think there were more than 24 hours in a day,
You mean, there's NOT? Oh darn! Now I have to revamp all my schedules. :cry: :lol:

I've been piecing all day at getting things ready to go. Had a lot of food things to send with dh to ds-A's house (he just left a short time ago with DS to go winterize their motorhome). But I finally decided I might better make an extra trip to their house with all their things as I know DS-A will not get all the frozen stuff taken care of. I'll see when ddil is going to be home this weekend -hopefully Sunday morning on my way to church. Then I can just drop it all off to her. Think she'll be pleased with all our gifting. Seem to have a lot more left over this year than most years.

I was putting my meds up and same thing -hand cramping so I've stopped again for a while. I know beyond a doubt that dh is going to be exhausted when he finally gets in for the night. So glad we don't have to go out to meet dd/dsonil for dinner and they'll be bringing it here. Dsonil called a little bit ago to see if we had a vacuum with a hose (only dh's shop vac). He's going to stop and vacuum out his work car which has to be returned to the company's office tomorrow by 2pm. Dh had told me they were going to close our laundry room Saturday so I had planned to do up any laundry tomorrow. But, it's been put off until Sunday, so am moving laundry day to Saturday. (You're so right, LucyLee…..lots to think about doing to close up an RV for the winter up here.)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:45 pm

(((HUGS))) for HRH, Harriet!

That is a good way to put it -- that
Because I am an optimist, I always think I'll have enough time, or that I can add in one more thing, or I under-estimate the time a project will take.

DH is definitely a pessimist, and I suppose for the most part, my ddad was an optimist.

Let me think about how I must use my TIME today.
I have approx 4 hours before we will be either going to the fair or going to eat out.

TOP PRIORITIES
I must s2s, including a visit with my colorist. That takes approx 90 min from naked to dry hair.
Type church council minutes AND teacher group minutes and email to appropriate people. Maybe 60 min? Neither are very long.
ALSO IN MY CARDS FOR THE DAY/WEEK
Check/refile dates to remember and inspiration cards for my card file (Time ??)
Set up dmom's med dispenser for next week (Time ??)
Transfer pictures from phone to computer (Time??)
S/S toilets (5 min)
Clean dh's shower (5 min)
Clean bathroom mirrors (10-15 min) and storm doors (??)
WHB dusting (approx 30 min for public areas of house, 10-15 for master bedroom and bath)
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:17 pm

I am So glad I got up early had just finished my qt when workers arrived next door to fix broken pipe out side. Lunch is over. Time to walk dog.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:17 pm

I have a vague working knowledge of the time - at all times. :lol:

I don't know if something takes 5 minutes or 7 or 10 but I'll know if I have to be out of the house at 11:00 I have time to start laundry, load the crockpot, clean up the kitchen. Usually that's enough to keep things going around here. As I get closer to my deadlines I tend to work harder and faster...so there's that, too.

I have a much better sense of time as far as days, weeks, months go. I always am aware of the last week of the month and keep an eye on those last few days...because there are deadlines with that...and I'm almost always aware of the first week of the month because that's when the bulk of the business statements come in needing paid. But all this is much more vague than minute by minute timing of things.

I discovered when I sewed those curtains and hung them in the bedroom that if I did not pull the blinds shut in back of them I could see the sun come in the mornings and it was much easier to get myself out of bed.

I wish I had my Christmas shopping all done like RRose. My problem always is figuring out ideas of what to buy. Of all the people I get stuff for, I only have an idea for one of them.

Today I looked at calendar and my 4 books due next week became a problem...between company here and the weekend and Mondays when they're closed I had no time to get them back. So I went this morning and then stopped at yet another supermarket to get stuff just because I'm to have house guests for a couple days. Needed coffee creamer and muffins, stuff I don't keep here...and ended up with another cart full of stuff. I think we could eat a month without shopping again.

But once home, I find I can't keep my eyes open and have already had one nap...and lots to do and no energy to do it. I could feel myself fading the past few days and this one is the worst. I am not sick, I am just really tired out..from nothing apparently. But it is what it is and I must deal with this. I have sheets in washer and need to clean up that one bedroom... and dinner isn't started like I'd planned...

It feels like a stick of dynamite couldn't get me going, but I must.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:33 pm

I wish I had my Christmas shopping all done like RRose. My problem always is figuring out ideas of what to buy. Of all the people I get stuff for, I only have an idea for one of them.

Yes. There's this.

And EEEEEK! Harmony mentioned laundry!
MUST DO!!! I am on my last clean bra!

TOP PRIORITIES
[ ] s2s, including a visit with my colorist. That takes approx 90 min from naked to dry hair.
[ ] laundry
[x] Type church council minutes, email (35 minutes, included doing some photos)
[x] AND teacher group minutes email (35 min)

ALSO IN MY CARDS FOR THE DAY/WEEK Divided these into approx 30 min blocks, and unknown blocks

[x] Transfer pictures from phone to computer (12-15 min)

[ ] Check/refile dates to remember and inspiration cards for my card file (Time ??)

[ ] Set up dmom's med dispenser for next week (Time ??)

[ ] S/S toilets (5 min)
[ ] Clean dh's shower (5 min)

[ ] Clean bathroom mirrors (10-15 min) and storm doors (??)

[ ] WHB dusting -- 2 15-min blocks -- approx 30 min -- for public areas of house

[ ] 10-15 for master bedroom and bath
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:02 pm

thank you d dee!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:10 pm

so cool d rose!

home from dr. appointment and errands ... saw d friend (unexpected and wonderful)
cholesterol very high
(figured)
really low vitamin D
I feel so much better that this appointment is done. now to attack cholesterol. ;) . get colon... and mammogram. TMI 8-)
(not as depressed - we did talk about that - and she wants me to work on my self esteem and purpose. As well as that every day I need to take time for my self physically and things that I enjoy.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”