Tuesday Ubuntu

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Tuesday Ubuntu

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:16 pm

I hope no one minds me posting the former. It wasn't my rabbi, but a colleague.

As usual, I need to get moving. I've been down the rabbit hole with DNA again.

-two DPCs
-breakfast/meds
-get out of pajamas, dress, brush teeth, walk the dog
-start a load of laundry, fold sheets, towels from yesterday
-make the bed

Rest of day PODA:
-pull together what documents I have for DAR application, list what I need
-trip to jewelers to pick up watch? and retail therapy?
-out for dinner tonight, will s2s before we go out...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:23 pm

That was meaningful, LadyM - in the "learn something new every day" dept.

Thanks, Twins' - we should all make sure we are seeing each other.

Dstepson and dstepdil are going on a 4-day trip this weekend, which lets me off the hook for any perceived slights of their bdays (that would be all in my mind anyway). With dd38's family coming in, yet being taken up with soccer tournament, and also with the church children's event, I will be strapped for time and bandwidth.

Dd and I went to vote together before she headed out for univ. Well out of the way of the workers and voters, she took a "selfie" with her sticker and the vote-here sign, since her Anthropology professor always gives extra credit for proof of voting.

She took 2 umbrellas, since she'll be outside putting up posters and signs for the gallery. That will give her a little more assurance of help just in case, or let her deposit one at a doorway while she uses another, if it just gets super wet out there.

I absolutely MUST study the lesson I'm going to teach tomorrow. Our usual day was moved because of voting.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Good morning everyone! My car is back and you cannot tell where the dents were. Rental car is returned and XM radio is reinstalled in my own car. I still need to get gasoline for the drive home. The Monday dance class leaves me about an hour of wait time, so I used it to find and purchase a new jacket. The old one has a hole in the elbow and will be converted to a cat bed because they all like it. I talked to the people with the 6 cats about free spay/neuter program. Despite his ER visit and two urgent care visits, they are adamant about keeping the cats inside. I like these people :) . The checkbook got balanced and, as usual, it is ugly, The x cashed my check for DD16's medical expenses. The memo line reads "<name>'s med expenses through <last receipt date>", so he cannot surprise me by going back further than that. He tried, but I told him that 2017 receipts fail to meet the timely requirement.

The xBFF called and we had a nice conversation. I think the deaths of two mutual friends are making her want to reconnect with others. My traveling companion friend (the xBFF's daughter's honorary grandmother) thinks she is reconnecting to people because the novelty of the boyfriend is wearing off, but I disagree. I do think she is coming to terms with the fact that the boyfriend intends to remain a boyfriend and not become a husband or even live-in. He is going to rent his house to his daughter, but instead of changing things with xBFF, he is buying a small house near work. That is a clear sign.

I realized there is an even bigger complication if my brother and company comes for Christmas: that will be 8 people and my car holds 7. Not insurmountable, just would need to be dealt with. The possibility of 9 cats may send them running screaming, maybe to a hotel, maybe a thousand miles away!

Why are people having trouble finding stamps? They all know how to order online! They are even delivered to your mailbox!

Yesterday's conversations made me realize I don't own a recliner. I obviously don't need one as I never noticed before.

LadyMaverick's DS10's shoes remind me of a camping trip we took with DDthen6. Driving to the campsite, her shoes fit. The next morning, she asked for help getting them on and I couldn't get them on. The XthenHusband was annoyed until he realized he couldn't either. We had to buy new ones that morning.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Heading out to vote w dd younger - she is trying to finish photo editing project for a company
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

helia

Postby helia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Oh, sorry Twins! I like your co-worker's thoughts, then. :)
Yes to seeing and hearing each other, as Harriet mentioned. I hope your lesson goes well tomorrow.
Hi blessed! Have a good time voting with dd younger! Dd20 voted absentee and ds now votes in WA state. He said they do it mail in where he is. Interesting. . . Too bad we lost his vote here. I don't know when dd23 will vote. Maybe she already has.
The great thing about percussion lessons, LadyM, is that ds10 can eventually experience making music as a social activity and percussion as being a part of a larger piece of music in a band and/or orchestra. I don't know if you remember, but ds doubled up piano and clarinet lessons his freshman year in high school. The practice and lessons were too much with all the other extracurriculars he was involved in, so he chose the clarinet over the piano -- b/c he so enjoyed playing in the high school band. Band and orchestra (dd20 did both) can be really neat experiences!
Congratulations to ds10 on his math facts, LadyM!

The carpet cleaner guy is here now.

I'm moving slowly but am making progress:
- I voted; stood in line for about 30 minutes.
- everything for the carpet cleaner guy got prepped
- carpet cleaner guy is here now
- I've done some email reminders (Small group, Th. dinner crew)
- the groc. list is ready to go
- lunch

Next for me:
- make the bed
- work on folding and putting away: basket of socks and underwear, basket of towels, basket of sheets (Can you tell I'm behind?)
- some qt when the carpet cleaner guy leaves

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Thank you for the words of wisdom, Twins. I dislike when people have the "it's us or them" philosophy. And I don't think it's wise for people to become so upset about the current situation that it affects their relationships and even their health.

I like the storage cube, LadyM. I know a place here that sells them, maybe a different brand but the same kind.

On my way home from supermarket today I stopped at a store newly opened to look at their lamps and end tables. It is the first week of them being open so there was a mob inside. Yuck.

I am really busy here. I've cleaned out both freezers. Looked at all the mystery meat to see what was still good and I cut up a big ham I have a use for (Thanksgiving day lunch) and I have some other stuff in the oven right now. There is much more to do but this was a good start.

I threw some stuff away, a basket of dried flowers that I'd made into a lamp with the fittings and the shade at the top of the handle. Cute when I made it, but dried flowers can't be dusted and I was glad to see it go. Smashed up the lampshade too because somehow it was stained on the inside. Another 20-year-old thing gone.

I guess I pulled a muscle in my right leg doing all the work yesterday. I can walk ok, just bending and moving around makes me remember it. I have too much to do to stop.

Brought in a LOL. Lots of dishes done. Took DH's medicine over to him, he forgot this morning. :roll:

I'll BBL after another batch of work gets done.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Cha-Ching! Checking off another successful homeschooling day. I hope I never forget what a blessing it is when DS10 is able to focus and learn. It may take repeating the same lesson over and over (x 100) in several different ways, but the learning is happening. The best part is seeing how happy he is when he finally accomplishes it.

DGS21 came and ate lunch with us. He also picked up the 2 copies of the 57 page document that I printed for him. He only asked for 1 copy but my printer was disconnected from the Wifi when I submitted it the first time. I got the printer back on Wifi and assumed the print job didn't go through so I submitted it the 2nd time. I didn't check the printer until hours later where I found 2 copies had printed. Ooops.

I'm trying to decide about Thanksgiving plans. We already have 2 Thanksgiving meals planned with friends/family and are signed up to help deliver 30 Thanksgiving meals to those who are in need. Last year I ended up cooking 4 turkey/hams for church meal and remember being tired of the whole Thanksgiving process by the time it was over. How much more do I want to commit to this year? I'm really thinking of eating out on Thanksgiving day instead of cooking another set of Thanksgiving dishes. I mentioned the option of doing that to DH and he was all for it. Hum.....
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:06 pm

great that your dd was able to vote via absentee vote d helia. My eldest moved to late to her new address to vote. She could have sent it in early but didn't.
Wonderful that you are getting your carpets cleaned. how nice that will be!
I will be joining you on folding and putting away!
have a great day d helia!

Hi d harmony. I feel the same way as you do. I struggle with the it's us or them thinking. See the good! love that!
Yay on all your work! look at that freezer being so spiffy as well.
hope your leg feels better!!!

hi d Elizabeth. Good day to you. wonder that your car looks great!!! so cute how d kitty's are enjoy your old coat. I bet the new one is beautiful on you!
we bought a recliner when dd elder had surgery where she needed to remain upright than flat.

hi d harriet. hello hello. wishing your d stepson and d step dil a wonderful trip!!! I understand the thinking-in your mind! yay on you and your dd voting together today! wishing you a easy day of studying for tomorrow.

hi d twins. I love that your rabbi shared his colleagues letter and that you shared it with us!
I know you get dressed s2s out of those comfortable pyjamas but I have to admit I am thinking of putting myself back in pjs this afternoon and putting the fire on. 8-)

Yes, yes, yes!!! on another successful school day d lady!!! You don't have to do the volunteering every year for thanksgiving :D Take this year for yourself and your d family. You are sharing the opportunity for volunteering - it's their year to do good for others. :D

hello to all!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:12 pm

I am so so grateful for the cleaning ladies. they did my home blessing and did a really good deep cleaning. very grateful!!! my check book - not so much! 8-) ;) I feel like I can go back to my dailies and my home blessings better.

dd left to go near the lake - she has an afternoon with my d niece and her dd. She is a bit frustrated on how this editing job is so difficult. The before pictures were so bad. But she said she will get paid for it.

The temperature is going down and I still have so much work to do outside. the rain is holding off but all the wet from the down pour from the last 2 days is really bad but the good - it is not raining now. :D making my own sunshine!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm

I went to get gasoline and my car won't start. The body shop (which is within walking distance) is sending someone to jump it. I need to ask them how long do I drive around to charge it. So not good.

ETA: Body shop person arrived, car started nicely. Drove highway speed for 15 minutes to charge. Obtained gas and car started just fine after. What a relief!
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”