Fleet of Foot on Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Fleet of Foot on Friday

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 pm

7.0 quake in Ankorage Alaska 8:30 our sons friends checked in safe on fb.
Dgd is here we may have discovered cause of tummy issue, trying to not go poop can cause tummy ache. :roll:
I took a spill fell down deck steps only three. I am ok skinned up and sore but glad I have padding on my bedind to bounce on.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Good afternoon everyone. The weather here is very pleasant today: high 70s, some clouds. We are supposed to have rain this weekend. DMinnie wants to be outside today, so I spent some time out there with her and gave her a good brushing, which she enjoyed.

I was awake a little before the alarm this morning. After breakfast I started in on the weekly cleaning and got most of it done. I have enough laundry for a load to wash tomorrow. This afternoon I spent some Desk Day time shuffling papers, balancing checkbook.

There is a large pot of chicken broth, celery, onion and carrots simmering on the stove. In a little while I will make some rice to add to it and that will be our supper tonight.

I have noticed that there have been fewer checkouts open in W-M. I do not use the self-checkout at either W-M or Sam's Club. The more people that use them, the less job security there is for the regular cashiers, which leads to more people out of work.

In the ongoing saga of our County Tax $$$s at work here on my street: Work started promptly at 8 am to repair the damaged manhole cover and pipe collar underneath it. It took three - five men with shovels and cement at least three hours to complete repairs. A while later a couple of supervisors came, looked and went away again. All was quiet during their lunch break. In the meantime asphalt had been put down on both sides of the street from our house to the main street. Now, remember that the cover would have to be set above the level of the street that had the top level of old asphalt scraped off in order to be even with the new surface. No, there were no orange cones placed around the area to warn of the difference in the two heights. The oil truck that sprays oil to prep the road surface for the asphalt then came down our side of the street and went around the block to do the other side. As he drove past our house spraying the other side I heard loud thumping and metal scraping on metal and the roadway. Yep, the bar with the nozzles for spraying the oil caught on the pipe and pulled the cover several feet down the street. The driver dragged the cover back then tried to readjust the bar on the back of his truck...couldn't seem to get it right, though. More cell phone calls. At one time there were many pick up trucks and several supervisor cars and at least nine workers there with shovels and more cement. The also had to use a small truck with a crane to lift the collar part of the pipe so they could get it all back in shape and cement it back together. More inspectors came and now there are two workers guarding it. They did put an orange cone on top this time. I don't know about heads rolling, but even I could see where there could have/should have been things done to eliminate the time and money spent to fix this now two day job!

Soup's ready for the rice now and dMinnie wants her supper, also.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:49 pm

glad they are safe d nancy! hello all
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 pm

(((Nancy))) Not exactly fleet of foot! I'm glad you aren't too injured but be gentle with yourself.

I've been on my feet today. I slept poorly but got up just after 7 so I could have breakfast with dh. I was even dressed by 7:30, before my tea and chocolate!

My music friend called and I puttered on my task for the day, putting up the Christmas lights in the windows. First task, pull everything away from the windows, then clean them, then put up the lights.

Got most of that done during the phone call. Then puttered at rearranging the plants and stands in that corner. There are two windows, one on each wall, so lots of light but also lots of wasted space because of my roll-top desk on the east wall and the TV stand on the north wall, creating an alcove in front of the windows.

One of the things to be moved was the tv antenna and since the number of stations on that TV was quite low, I decided to experiment with placement. I'd move it, rescan. I had 7 stations the first time, and scanned at least another dozen times. Broke the rabbit ears (at the wires that connect it) so just used the old bow-tie antenna and bent a coat hanger to lean against it in the north window. That's getting me 10 channels so I'll consider that a success even if half of them are in French (that makes sense since I can see the TV broadcast tower on the Quebec side from that window.) I have 7 English channels in the bedroom which I suspect is due to a better tuner on the TV since you can't see Quebec in the bedroom.

I sat down for most of that antenna scanning and had enough energy after dh got home to do the lights and pewter ornaments in the kitchen window, plus clean those windows.

The living room needs vacuuming and tidying but I just spent 40 minutes on Skype with dgs. I'll go over tomorrow morning and babysit but then not attend their party in the afternoon.

Dh asked to go to McDonalds tonight (he has free fries because of a goal scored during the game last night.) We'll also go to Costco since I have quite a long list for there.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi! Just checking in to let you all know that tonight's menu is...

PIZZA AND WINGS!! Delivery is requested for 5:15 p.m.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:10 pm

((Nancy!)) So glad it was only three steps down!

That makes me think of Kathryn and her recent spill. Hope she has no more aches from that one.

The appt today was useless. I was glad we were able to stop by the bank - it got a couple things off my mind.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:34 pm

sorry the appointment was useless d harriet!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:37 pm

I am tired. I came home a little before 4 and I don't know why but I am tired. Aunt did well on test and she can continue driving 4 more years hopefully. She is a great driver.

I will be at her house next week for a couple things.
I think I am going to take a little break and then start paperwork. I may be tired but I can get something out the way.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Ooh, (((Nancy))), sorry you took a tumble. Glad you are ok.

Harriet, so sorry the appointment wasn't more helpful.

The soup turned out good. We have enough for tomorrow's lunch and plenty to freeze for a few more meals.

I heard about the earthquake in Alaska. My dcousin's home is on the peninsula just south of Achorage, but I haven't talked with her yet. I don't think they are near the coast.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:39 pm

nancy (((())))

Return to “Post When You Can”