Suddenly Saturday....

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Suddenly Saturday....

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm

it is pouring outside on top of the snow. That always makes me worried when I have to drive downtown at night.
I am doing that thing where I know I have a lot to do but shut down completely, especially knowing I have to go out. I will get out my dailies and hope I can break the thought process.

wishing you all a wonderful day.

dd younger wanted to stop by the camera store downtown before stopping at dd older's to see her apartment and pick her up; but with this weather it is a lot. plus she now has a chest cold so even though she wants to I think its best to limit some things.

take care all. I don't think I will be back today but I am cheering for you in my heart! have a great day.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I am doing that thing where I know I have a lot to do but shut down completely

((((Blessedw2))) My thoughts are with you. I have BTDT so many times. I have learned FOR ME this is a sign that I need to break things down into smaller chunks. I learned this through Tiny Habits course. They suggest starting with "Floss one tooth". The thought of doing something that small doesn't overwhelm me and allows me to get started.

I'm so frustrated with the plumber. He finally came last night....two days late from his scheduled appointment. This morning we have no water when I went to do laundry. Just a tiny little trickle of water goes into the washing machine. I turned the water softener off to the house which allows me to do laundry. But really? The plumber made things worse rather than better. And we paid him for this? ARGH.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Arrgghhh! Is right, LadyM. Frustration plus.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Oh my, LadyM. What a plumbing mess! I'd be frustrated too. We had a super good plumber when we lived on the mountain, haven't had need of one since being here, but I hope our old one is still working when we do need him.

I went to grocery, Lowes for boxes for pillows in garage and to Garden center (in the rain no less) and got pansies. The last freeze got our planters so I'll put pansies in until spring. I feel foolish storing so many pillows for the front porch but I do change them out seasonally and enjoy it. This week I got the menorah out on the front porch and changed out porch pillows to blues for winter.

Last day of my "staycation" with dh away. :lol:

Trying to figure out whether to nap or play.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:30 pm

oh tiny habits - great idea dear lady.
I am looking at jobs as too big.

I am waiting for dd younger. so we can go. I don't like running late. we have reservations at 4:45
but we still have to stop by dd older apartment and drop off her rug
and stop by the camera shop downtown
the christmas carol is at 8 pm
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 pm

I've been texting with the plumber. He says this proves that our current water softener is bad. We can try to repair it using a company that isn't local and we have already had bad experience with. OR we can have new water system installed by this plumber. It isn't much of a choice. It seems to me to be a choice between which is worse. Proven bad company or possible bad company. I don't know of any other options.

If you are a football fan and live in OK or TX then you are having a very exciting afternoon. >>>>Yawn<<<< My fb is blowing up with friends/family posting about the game. The football rivalry between these 2 states is a tad bit excessive ....according to a non-football person.

I've been researching Google Fi cell phone service. It looks like a good thing and at about half the cost of At&t that we currently have. Hum....

Gas is now below $2 a gallon here. I wonder how low it will go and how long it will stay there?

My laptop started acting goofy. I uninstalled Fortnite from it and now it is starting to get better. That doesn't prove it was due to fortnite but it sure looks suspicious.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:34 pm

This morning I went out alone and went to

1) Vitamin Store for garlic capsules. Can't get them shipped in a timely manner by online order any more - don't know what's going on with that. Online has been so easy up to now. Costs me more at the store, but at least they are in hand. I will simply not allow my respiratory past to catch up to me now. Actually, I recommended garlic capsules to a nurse this week - she's had bronchitis and the cough won't let go.

2) Dollar Store for non-flat decor for the kid craft. Everything I have so far is flat to the "wreaths", so I bought bows and silk poinsettia blossoms/leaves. Maybe they will give a little bit of shape and interest.

happily, I found even more at Dollar Store - they have large poster-size foam board for $1, which should help me with wreaths as well. Also they had frozen fruit (who knew?) and HRH had just asked me about frozen strawberries.

General impression of Dollar Store today - wildly busy, to the point of frantic. No parking anywhere near. Tense. I think I got in on just about the last of the morning niceness the employees could muster! They were starting to fray around the edges.

Extra laundry put away.

Next up I want to clean off the top of the fridge, first step in getting ready for the delivery Tuesday.

HRH wants a cake of cornbread this evening and I'll probably stew some potatoes. Dd20 is joining the young man's birthday supper with his family.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:11 pm

I'm surviving today.

Played with dgs for 2 hours while his parents worked on party prep. Then he had snack (at noon!) and I had my lunch. He negotiated ONE book with me before going down for nap and chose his 90+ Big Book of Vehicles! We skimmed it!

I then hit their local mall for the dollar store and loss leaders of butter and Stouffers frozen lasagna.

Tried to get the porch decorations but couldn't make myself spend what they were asking.

Came home and put away the groceries, took an Advil and vitamin C (to ward off dgs germs) and napped for about an hour and relaxed for another two. Dh got home just as I got up and we are at the pub now.

Dd wrote her Roomba review today so I will post it here. She was able to use it in the playroom while vacuuming the rest of the living room with her vacuum while dgs and I went outside to make sure the grass is still under the snow.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Here's dd's Roomba review:

Here's my Roomba essay! Mostly I was fascinated to examine if it was saving me time. Luckily I tried the bedroom level before declaring it a huge failure.

Do not pay full price for one as they go on sale way cheaper frequently.

The kind of space you’re sweeping with it can make or break if the time calculation of “tidying for the roomba” pays off. In my bedrooms I just have to do regular tidying and maybe a tiny amount of furniture shoving and then close the door. Move the roombas between the bedrooms and then do the hallway, and each were easy. Even better, start it in the easiest-to-tidy room first, then tidy the rest in prep while it's running.

Meanwhile, the main floor is really making a case against the robot. The living room/dining room have every pitfall. The robot can’t climb back up onto the rug and it’s DEFINITELY not worth the effort to corral it up there. The dining room chairs have to be put away. The thing loves to get lost under the couch and I liked storing stuff under there anyway. The kitchen needs the barstools and high chair removed. The front hall is pretty quick to close at two entrances.

All these main floor rooms probably lose the calculation of “time spent prepping for the robot” ?> “time it would take me to hand vacuum around these things”. I will still use the roomba in them because I don’t like vacuuming when home alone with M, but I’ll happily prep a space and then start the roomba as we head out the door somewhere or head up to do bath.

(When it comes to prepping a space I do have the advantage of baby gates doing some of the work for me.)

A certain amount of what I prefer with the roomba is a silly factor that I hate digging out, carrying, and plugging in my canister vacuum. So maybe I could have saved a lot of money by buying and wall-mounting a battery operated stick vacuum. Oops. Luckily the bedrooms really are much much easier than vacuuming by hand, and probably get done 5 times as often. And the ease of getting the vacuum up the stairs is unparalleled.

Then again, maybe the fact that I have several 5 minute blocks of time and no blocks of more than 10 minutes is a good match. 5 minutes to tidy and then 5 to return instead of 10 minutes to do the vacuuming might make the difference of being able to do it or not.

Does the detail work and stairs get neglected? Probably not any worse than before. I had basically stopped vacuuming before. It’s hard to imagine I’m doing anything less. Remember, a crap job is better than no job at all.

My cheap model really does prefer one room at a time, as rectangular as possible, much better than sending it out to roam across a whole level of the house. Even in my totally cleared living room dining room space when the rug was out for potty training, it missed the area under the bay-style window because it assumed the wall was straight across there instead of having an alcove.

Random tip: be sure to move the dock into a space when you are using a door to close off a space. Otherwise the robot might decide it’s finished and stop right where it's blocking the door! Plus if it can find the dock it can start recharging by itself.

Dumping it every time has the benefit / horror of knowing just how bad one space really was. Then again, I wrote that after the first time I did the bedrooms, and then the second time wasn’t really a lot less. Now I wonder how much of that first run was just it *eating my carpet*.

Don’t let it trick you by taking so long. You did not save as much time as it took to do it. Probably by a LARGE factor.

Features: I opted for the barebones model the only thing I miss is being able to hit “go” from anywhere in the house in case I set it up to run and then forget and tie my boots up. The software on the bigger models is getting better and better. Rumor has it that you will be able to ask it to start up, go to a specific space, clean just that room, and then return to the dock. That sounds pretty intriguing; I could say “just do the front hall” and it would be way easier than vacuuming myself (no prep at all required and it can reach that space from where I usually keep the dock). In general I’m not missing scheduling since I couldn’t imagine letting it run without me checking a space over so that it doesn’t suck up a toy or go over something icky in the kitchen like a glob of pasta sauce or something. Definitely not with a pet.

I’ve heard the maintenance is pretty intense if you have pet hair around. I set out thinking “at least I can clean it after bedtime, which I can’t use for actual vacuuming”, but instead I haven’t really been doing anything more than dumping it.

She was running it today and it does make noise but far less than a vacuum. The noise didn't affect my playing with dgs (remember noise is one of my concussion brain-scramble triggers.)

For the record, her floors were noticeably cleaner since getting the Roomba. So that had me considering one.

Based on her review, I doubt it will be able to 'mount' my area rugs nor the stress mats in the kitchen so that's a big disadvantage. Things are stored under things (for instance my kneeling chair is tucked completely in the desk knee spot when not being used and the desk chair is in front) so I can envision a Roomba getting trapped in multiple places.

I may ask to borrow it when she goes away next summer, but I'll try and suppress the 'want' before then. My Instant Pot desire has waned, so perhaps this will too.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi!

Busy day here. Supper was provided by Colonel Sanders!

We took a big load to the local dump. We also picked up 2 large bags of wild bird seed with corn. Dh shot a large rat near the wood pile. Dh went Christmas shopping for me. I went to knitting. We went to Princess Auto tonight. I bought paper straws. So happy that these are available again. I truly disliked plastic ones. Dh brought in the Christmas tree tonight. Tomorrow he will put it together and make sure all of the lights still work. I start decorating on Monday. The lights are up outside and have been for quite a while. I will actually plug them in so they can get turned on tomorrow night. Anything earlier than December 1st is too early in my opinion. I know that if you have small children in your life, you might not be able to wait that long.

I did 1 load of laundry and 1 load of dishes today. It started raining here around 6 p.m. Hopefully I can get the other load of laundry done tomorrow morning. I'm only doing 2 this weekend because of the ground being so wet. I did bed sheets last week. I think it's almost time for me to switch my top sheet to flannel.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”