FOCUS ON LESS TUESDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: FOCUS ON LESS TUESDAY

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:59 pm

We are continuing to make progress in homeschool lessons but it is not our best day. So far today DS10 has finished lessons in history, science, technology, math, music, history, math, and math. So...8 assignments done. We haven't done any English, reading or Bible lessons yet so those will move to Next Up.

We are taking break #3 of the day so DS10 can to do volunteer work at the clothes closet with DH. It usually takes them 30 minutes to empty out the donation bins and carry them to the processing area. DH will also get lunch orders for the volunteers and get those orders in. DH will bring DS10 back home to continue doing homeschool while DH will go pick lunch up and delivery food to the volunteers.

Break #2 was a long phone call with DSis. I reached out to DSis for suggestions & how-to in preparing Wednesday night meal. We will be cooking for 100 people - Pinto Beans, fried potatoes and cornbread. DH and I have never cooked this menu for that amount of people so are unsure how much to buy and the logistics of cooking it. I made the shopping list as the 3 of us verbally went through the cooking process. When to start cooking what, what cooking pots/pans to use, what ingredients & how much of each ingredient is needed. We also developed Plan B if we cook more food than needed. We will freeze the beans and use them for next Wednesday night menu....which we decided would be chili & beans. As we were lightheartedly laughing about the wisdom of serving beans 2 weeks in a row we decided to add Beano to the shopping list. :D

I've texted with DD about details of who will do what for DGD7 today. Who will pick her up from school, take her to the after-school shopping event, take her to piano lessons, and where DGD7 will sleep tonight. DGD7 will be here again tonight. DSIL has moved out of their house. I suspect DGD7 will be living here even more than normal.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm

My shopping list is complete and sitting in my bullet journal, with my phone, by the door.

I've eaten my lunch. (More leftovers out of the fridge, now just two boxes from last night and my fridge will be back to normal.)

I'm on a timer now just waiting for dh to say "time to go."

He thought I was shopping on Thursday, not today. Nope. Aside from the sales that end tomorrow, there's also the fact that Thursday's appointment started 2 hours before stores open.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm eating a jalapeno pepper I just picked from the indoor garden. Oh my. This pepper is about 9.8 on a 10 point heat scale. My mouth is numb but I like the taste too much to stop eating it. Maybe I'll just take smaller nibbles and reduce the heat with each bite. I fixed a tuna salad for lunch. I added dehydrated spinach to my serving. I was unsure how the spinach/tuna salad combo would turn out but it tastes great.

I'm calling homeschool done for today. Not our best day but perfection is not a requirement. I'm giving DS10 an hour for lunch and downtime then I'll take him to piano lesson. It is too cold and sleeting outdoors for him to ride a bike or walk to the lesson.

I started watching McLeod's Daughters on A-river. I've never heard of this show before but instantly was drawn in because of being filmed in Australia. IMHO the show is lacking but the scenery and real-life type events of living in the countryside of Australia make me keep watching the next episode.

DH has been providing transportation for several weeks to a local guy that is a bit looney. The fella just called and asked DH to take him to get a flu shot tomorrow. In the past week, DH has taken him to get groceries and another time to the bank. I suggested to DH that he should tell local looney fella that he will take him to do errands once a week and set a reoccurring time. Otherwise, the fella is going to wear his welcome out real quick by continually calling and requesting rides.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello to all! I noticed a big difference in the weather when I let dMinnie out this morning. Over the weekend it was warm and humid. We had rain overnight, so the cold front is moving through. We're supposed to be in the low 40s/50s the rest of the week at night, finally experiencing fall weather.

I think I haven't posted in a few days and I've just finished CUOP. Happy Hanukkah to Twins' Mom and dfamily. Kathryn, how nice that ds has found a house that he likes. Harmony, (((Hugs))) for all the spinning plates and computer glitches. Thinking of everyone who is experiencing family health and/or relationship troubles...(((hugs))). Lady M, I'm so glad you are able to be there for dgd7 and dd.

Twins' I liked the quote. I can multi task if there is a need and if the tasks have a well defined stopping point midway throughout. I do get sidetracked easily and it helps if I make notes as to what is the most important to get done first. So I much rather focus on one thing at a time.

Street Saga: It has finally ended without much excitement. There was no activity Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I was awakened a little after 7 am this morning to the sound of paving equipment motors running in front of our house. I watched while eating breakfast while they laid asphalt first on one side of the road then the other side, then the roller made everything smoother. A little while ago the street cleaner drove by brushing away all the excess dirt and pebbles from the curb area. We don't have actual curbs, but an 18" wide (?) shallow water runoff ditch next to the grass. It all looks very nice now and I'm glad it's all finished finally!

Over the weekend I wrote down all the things I want to have done by the end of the month; tried to put it all in order of First Things First. Normal daily routine is mostly done. I've done miscellaneous things like sweeping the driveway, watering inside plants and the one on the front porch, refilling liquid soap dispensers, refilling paper towel and bath tissue holders, etc. etc.

I think I will spend some time at my desk going through some mail that was set aside for a few days. I also want to get my card list out and ready.

Have a good afternoon everyone...
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Sunny, will they be coming to stripe the road? None of the little roads in my little neighborhood area have any markings on them.

Well, got my Worst Thing First finally completed. Met the customer out towards the interstate and as it turns out, he hadn't even brought the papers along with him and had to go all the way home to pick them up. :roll: I had to talk to myself on the way over there, remind myself to be kind and friendly...which I was and we had a nice conversation. Grrrrrr! But since I was all the way out there I went to a nearby Pack and Ship place, copied those papers and Fed Ex-ed them away. Came home and faxed the last 4 sheets and told them arrival date - 2 days... so hopefully all is well and we are DONE with this. DONE DONE DONE! YAY!! :P

Since I was all the way out there I stopped and gave copies to the Mtg Broker who was nice enough to help us with yesterday's papers.

So now I'll go back out and get some groceries.

We are supposed to be getting some colder weather tonight. It'll feel more like Christmas then.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Hope things have 'started turning a corner' for you too, Harmony. You're due!

I've noticed it was cooler out today too. Feels kinda nice. Just finished my cardiac exercises. May think about going out to walk in a little bit. But also think dd may be taking the 2 pups to the dog park (a word we have to spell in front of dpuppy btw) :lol: . She's at the door like a shot when she hears the word "park". DD was having a conversation on FB the other day on different words several friends have to spell.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Back from doing a W -mart run. Put food away. Taking a break to rest now.
Swept leaves off driveway after a nap.
Walked dog around the block.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm

We had a high of 70 degrees on Sunday and today the high is mid 40s. I got my round of errands done - drugstore, Lowes, dropped off at library, saw dmom, Michaels and grocery store. I may need to go back to Lowes, somewhere I should have hardware nuts from the last Menorah craft we made - we bought large ones to set the candle in, but I can't find them now.

I'm having iced coffee as a treat, but not too much. And I need to get moving again.

-put cover back on dog bed
-replace outside landscaping light bulb, they come on at dark so hopefully can ck it later
-clear breakfast table where I dumped everything I brought in
-look at instructions for replacing toilet lever
-send text message to dfriends about New YEars
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Yikes, to replace the toilet lever I need to cut this metal thing with a hacksaw? And it looks like I need to drill a hole in it at the proper place to reattach the chain? I hate to pay a plumber for this.

I think dog bed still has a odor. May be time to replace; these two beds have served Macs and Moses, then Chief and now Muffin, with probably six months off between rounds. And I think they are six years old this year because it was the first year in this house.

While I was going I also got the last of the pansies into the new pot - some rocks in the bottom, I had garden soil in the garage, tucked them in and they are good to go.

I'm glad Kathryn's ds found a house he can live with, hope this one works out and there aren't unseen issues that he'll have to deal with. My first house was a duplex I bought, and it had water in the basement, which was partly unfinished and partly floored. When we went to sell it I needed to deal with the water, and we hired a guy who was using some process to inject something into the foundation to waterproof, and the foundation started bowing. Needless to say, that was an expensive lesson, in the end we ended up "paying someone" to take it off our hands.

From this morning:

-desk day nope, will reschedule
-visit dmom Done
-Lowes done
-local branch of library, drop off books done
-pick up script at CVS done
-dh home for supper: salmon, broccoli and butternut squash starting supper in a minute, salmon thaws quickly
-grocery for oranges done
-learn how to use home BP monitor not done, should look at this next?
-text/call dfriend with whom we are spending New Years at a cabin, done, she has responded that she can't find what she had written down
-ddog care, treat ears, brush her, wash cover for her bed Bed washed, need to do ears and brush her too

-Start salmon thawing
-brush dog and do ears (oh she hates the ear part)
-maybe I should walk her now also..
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Ds just wrote to say he got $1000 off the price so he'll arrange and pay for the HVAC ventilation repairs with those savings. A bit weird from a safety point of view (the exhaust chimney for the hot water tank literally is not attached) but ds isn't living there so he isn't in danger. He gets possession on Jan 24.

He asked if I would 'invest' in the house so we are putting in 10%. The deal is we get our stake back when he sells. If it sells for more than he paid for it, we get 10% of the selling price. If it sells for less, we get our original investment back. Any improvements he makes to the house we'll benefit from (i.e. if he puts in another bathroom or builds a car port.) I need to get a cheque to him in the next few days. We've had this understanding for over a month now so I have the money at hand to do this.

Dh and I are back from his appointments and my shopping. I was a bit brain dead and drove to one mall with a bank, did my stuff there, then drove to another bank's branch down the road. Parking was really hard at both places. As I was with the teller at the second place, I remembered the first mall had a branch of this bank and I didn't need to battle parking 2x! Oh well.

Dh was done early and so I picked him up and then we did the grocery shopping. I was slow and forgot the tomato soup so we had to go to our local store. I had a long list for there which I completed so that helps but we're pretty tired now. Thankfully dinner is reheating our pasta from last night's dinner out (plus bread and salad which I bought while out.)

Dd called. Dgs wanted to know when I was coming over so I'll go babysit on Friday. She has a doctor's appointment and this means dsil doesn't have to leave work early. Plus I'll let her use the car if the driving is good. Dsil has been using up lots of sick leave because of an endless cold/tummy issues (dgs has it too) and so dd is pleased he doesn't have to take even more time off to babysit.

At one store I got my porch decoration, so that is on the balcony now. I am really pleased with that.

Tomorrow morning I might do another bin of decorations. Or I might just take down the bin I've finished so far and focus on getting that kitchen floor cleaned. It won't get done tonight, I'm too tired.

Return to “Post When You Can”