FOCUS ON LESS TUESDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

FOCUS ON LESS TUESDAY

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 am

It's not always that we need to do more but rather that we need to focus on less. Nathan W. Morris

This quote came up on my Best Self Journal this week and I thought I'd share. It's a reminder that we don't have to multi-task, even in the holiday season. Focusing on the things that matter to us and doing one thing at a time brings rewards of mindfulness, completion and accomplishment.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: FOCUS ON LESS TUESDAY

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 am

Interesting quote, Twins.

Although I'll say my focus in on leaving less on my to-do list!

I got the office lights up this morning before getting dressed. That means the windows in there were also cleaned so it is sort of a two-for.

I did the weekly chores in the kitchen and washed up yesterday's dishes along with my breakfast dishes.

Before light therapy, I started the washer since there are four loads lined up to go today. The first load is finished, #2 is in the drying, #3 in the washer and #4 is a glimmer in my eye (I can imagine I'll burn out before it is done.)

I'm dressed now and ready to have a rest after the next dryer load is put away. Then, hopefully, I'll get the kitchen floor washed. It is the last housekeeping job that hasn't been done since I was in my depths of despair (dh did it for me 2 weeks ago.)

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am

I thought it was interesting, Kathryn. A reminder that we don't always do our best work when multi-tasking. And for you, and any ADD people, keeping the focus on one thing is essential.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 am

Twins - I like that quote! Thanks for sharing it.

Kathryn - I am not surprised but I just wanted to acknowledge how courageous you are for battling through back-to-back physical events. It has to be a huge challenge to overcome all that you have. You are wisely setting boundaries around what you can't do yet and are making progress with the things that you can do. I admire you.

Last night was an emotional night. I think I will pause and take that to J&C later today.

DD came and got DGD7 ready for school this morning so they could spend a little time together.

Homeschool is underway. Science and history have been completed. Writing that makes me realize how off everything is today. We almost always start the day with the 3 R's. (reading, writing, arithmetic). As long as we keep making progress in all subjects, I guess it really doesn't matter which subjects we do first. We took a break from doing lessons to eat breakfast. Time to get started again.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

I love that quote!!!! so perfect for me and my dd younger.

I never see dd younger with anxiety - very rare (unless when she was on those awful meds) but yesterday she was overwhelmed. It frustrated her!
I think being sick and being in pain again (as well as having to go back to florida) made her brain overwhelmed.

so I drive her and my d brother to the airport at 11:15

I am only doing my dailies and my home blessing today as I am so far behind on Christmas decorating. another present came in. yay.

I asked aunt when she wants me to come over and pull out her decorations and decorate. I wish I had help but no will be home. Her kids are out of state far away.

Hello d kathryn (thank you for starting us), d twins, d lady! and hello to all.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Waving to everyone.
I was up early with a low.
H has been battling the overwhelm feeling this week.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

I've started the last load of laundry. The other 3 are folded and put away. I brought the basket of small stuff back into the kitchen and put it on the counter so I could fold without having to bend at all. My bed is too low for fiddly folding tasks (the other loads were towels and sheets which are quick to fold.)

I'm dying to start on the kitchen floor but dh is on a conference call and, in theory, to do the job properly, I need to vacuum in there because I do the office bathroom floor at the same time as the kitchen since that's where the vacuum and the mop/bucket is stored. The big issue is that this isn't the most important next item. That would be going over my Christmas cooking and baking supplies and making up a list for the bulk food store. That store is on my errand list for this afternoon.

Dh has a 2 hour treadmill test today on a road with a dozen useful stores and banks. I think my errand list is too long to get it all done, and I will be out there tomorrow for a car appointment, then back again on Thursday for dh's 4 hour treadmill test, but I would like to hit at least 3 stores today. I spent ages making up the shopping list with this week's sales everywhere so I really need to get to the stores before the sales end!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Dishwasher woes continue - I just made a call to "The Man" but they can't come until Thursday. It's not filling with water now... :roll:

Somehow this week I never even made the list for the week.

Today:
-desk day
-visit dmom
-Lowes
-local branch of library, drop off books
-pick up script at CVS
-dh home for supper: salmon, broccoli and butternut squash
-grocery for oranges
-learn how to use home BP monitor
-text/call dfriend with whom we are spending New Years at a cabin
-ddog care, treat ears, brush her, wash cover for her bed
-what else? I am all over the place today.

Right now...getting a late start:
-breakfast and meds
-hang up wet laundry in washer to dry
-get dressed, brush teeth, clean up
-walk the dog
-out to run errands

I will do kitchen clean up later, will need to empty dishwasher and wash up stuff there. :roll:

My list may be too much, in light of my quote re: focusing on less. Priorities are:
-Lowes
-mother
-drop off at library
-pick up script
-grocery

Maybe I'll go ahead and throw the dog bed in the washer now...

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Twins I like the quote but I really wish I could do that. There's so many things going on now and if I lose focus on any one of them that plate stops spinning and then who knows what disaster happens.

I am completely overwhelmed and ... just trying not to fall apart. Customer has those 4 pages he was supposed to sign but he is way south of us and on a job. He doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency to get this done. They don't give him credit for $60,000 + until I get all these papers fed-exed to that bank. If this was my loan I'd have put that on the top of the list but no, and here I sit worrying. They do not understand that we did them a big huge favor finalizing all this for them as none of this was our job and they think we've had all this trouble because we didn't understand how to do a VA loan.

I could write a whole other chapter about this, and it would be nice to get it off my brain but I'm sure I'm boring you to death with this all.

So, back to housekeeping...oh - what is that? Oh, what we're supposed to be doing when we're not focusing on every other little thing going on in our lives.

Ha, a while ago I hit the Ctrl + instead of the Shift + you should see how big my print got!!!!! Nice to have my computer back. There is so much work to do in here and I look down the road with all the poles holding all the spinning plates and I see the last one spinning and it's marked TAXES and the one before it is called Christmas.

By the way, I forgot yesterday I wanted to tell Twins Happy Hanukkah.

I'm also glad Kathryn's DSon found a house he likes. It might not be one she would pick, but remember this is his first house and he will find things he loves and hates and his next place will be different.

Trying to decide what to do here. I am stuck until I can go pick up those papers... and right now I can't seem to think straight about anything.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Focusing on the things that matter to us and doing one thing at a time brings rewards of mindfulness, completion and accomplishment.
Ahh, yes! I made myself focus on cleaning out our dresser drawers. Knew I had too much stuff here and put some in a pile (which I'll pack later) to go north with dh in the spring. And I have to make myself start that list of things going/staying and what I don't need to bring down here next year. Was going to buy dh some new denim hiking shorts till I discovered there's 2 pair of those in the bottom drawer -still with tags. There was also a tan pair with tags. So he has more than enough shorts. Going to trim that pile down some -will figure out what he's wearing this winter and what he's not. Trying to figure a way to mark them so I'll know in March whether he's worn them or not. Hmmmm...Maybe I'll just put an index card in one of the front pockets -which he'll find as soon as he puts them on. Then come March, I'll be able to tell which ones he's worn -OR NOT. :D Discovered that he has both t-shirts from his 'joint' replacements so will pack one of those as well -to stay up North.

Dd and I went with our friend to see the 'Broadway' play of the "King and I" last night. It was a very rewarding night. But I'm tired today so just taking it a little easy. Will get my exercises in however. Went out for dinner first which was yummy. Went to the V illage I nn (a FL restaurant). We all had the 'pick 2' with tomato basil soup & a 1/2 sandwich -except we each ordered a different sandwich. Then we all succumbed to pie. Managed to lose my house key to dd's house. Was just starting to close my car door & realized I still had the key fob. Turned around & got it off my key holder on my wallet. Evidently I also pulled off the ring with my house key & I'm sure it's in the parking lot somewhere -never to be seen again. :cry: Never noticed it till I pulled out my keys to open the front door of the house. Thankfully the guys were home. Hated to lose that key as it was an 'oversized' key with Eeyore on it that dd had bought me several years ago. Do have other house keys here.

Need to figure out what my next 'focus' will be...…..Someone mentioned the other day that it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas -no! That wasn't it.....It was that it's beginning to look like you (Kathryn) are beginning to turn a corner. Hoping that's so. That also got me to thinking that perhaps I, too, am beginning to turn that same corner. Maybe we'll meet on the street?
(((((Harmony))))) hoping your life becomes easier and more manageable.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Post When You Can”