Sunday Surprises

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Sunday Surprises

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm achy, shaky, and my head is vibrating. I missed my nap before the party because of the kitchen tap. Yesterday it started to leak at the lever. I have a 'waterfall' soap holder so put that under the leak and that redirected the water into the sink. It would leak if we used cold water but not if we ran the hot for a while before turning it off. Our tap is unique to our apartment so there was no point calling the on-duty super (not ours this weekend) because he wouldn't have parts. So I mitigated the damage and was going to wait.

Last night I wasn't sure if the tap might be leaking elsewhere too. There was always a lot of water around the base, but I'm sloppy so I've always thought it was me splashing. It did occur to me if there was a problem it would be leaking under the sink but I was too tired to think more about that.

This morning, the nagging thought was too much (plus the constant dripping) so I looked. At least a quart of water under the sink, many things wet. I pulled everything out, put in an ice cream tub, but realized it was leaking elsewhere so added another. I could still hear another leak but couldn't find it so I just turned off the water and solved my problem. But that took over 30 minutes to diagnose, clean up and solve. My nap time.

So I went off to the party tired and the first song made me dizzy so I sat for most of the party.

It was a success with a very good turnout and tons of food. The rest of the committee did as much as they could but there was some disorder. I forgot we are short a table so we had trouble finding room for all the food. We tossed the card table in the summer because it was falling apart. Then forgot! Someone donated a big, heavy folding table we store in our apartment to use at events in our building but we need another for the other building.

No-one brought milk or cream and while dh assured me we weren't responsible for coffee and tea, no-one had brought that either. In my notes for dh at the meeting, I had said we'd do coffee and tea and so I brought my coffee maker and kettle and tea pot. I store the RA's tea and coffee in my apartment so brought that too. And all was needed. I sent a resident from the other building to get milk from her apartment so I didn't have to come home.

I completely forgot about door prizes. It wasn't discussed at the meeting so it just didn't happen.

I'm shutting down now. Everything is put away or in soak. If only the hot water is turned on, there's no leak so we have water at the sink again. Dinner is heating up. I'm in my recliner with the heating pad and my noise cancelling headphones on.

We'll watch an episode of TV and then I may end up going to bed. Or maybe just nap my recliner.

My eyes aren't hurting at all (I put in more lubricating drops before the party and rested them for 8 minutes - all the time I had.)

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Imagine our surprise this morning when we were watching our church service online and the Pastor announced that our area had been under a tornado warning which had just expired! :shock: I knew we had lots of rain coming, but never gave a thought to high winds. We heard thunder only a few times sounding far off. It rained all morning. I did hear of tornado warnings towards the middle of our state also. I hope Dee and dfamily are safe. This is our weather from Diego.

Twins' I was sorry to hear of your dfriends dh passing. And Dee, I felt badly to hear of your dson's dfriend passing. I do hope there will be no conflict with events.

Kathryn, I hope your eye clears up so you don't have to see the doctor. I'm glad your dinner went well, except for the sick youngster.

Harmony, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your sewing project. You are a really good sewer, so I know this has to be frustrating for you!

Lucy, (((Hugs))) for your and your dfamily.

Lady M and Harriet I hope the worst of the winter storm is over and both your dfamilies will not be more affected by this bad weather. Dson#3 and family in VA have been on the edge of this all day. I've watched the traffic cameras in his area and even I95 seems like it is becoming slushy and will freeze overnight. I don't think they will get as much snow as other places south of them.

I managed to get two loads of laundry done today. Dh took a tub of chicken soup from the freezer this morning; that will be our supper tonight.

Take care everyone! Just saw you last post, Kathryn. (((Feel better soon))).
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 pm

LM your meat balls sound so yummy! I was thinking about making some this week.
I cooked up meat for h lunches this week.
Soup for lunch was excellent.
I had to get on here to look up a quote.
Worked on my bujo for the new year.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm hoping for no conflict as well, Sunny. We drove to church in torrential downpours. During the service we could hear rain just pounding the roof. Knew there were tornado warnings up around Holiday. Think we just mainly had lots of rain & wind. It did finally subside this afternoon -but we're very grateful it's not snow! Stay safe all you northerners!

Just finished my cardiac exercises and am going to go check how our dinner is coming. We're warming the Thanksgiving leftovers that have been in the freezer. DD just called and she's at Aldi's getting a few baking things and then will be home. A's is about 5-6 miles from us. Time for me to take my meds and go record my exercises in H&F thread.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I will come back to say hello to all of you!

I think time is speeding up as I am not showing anything that I have been doing. (but I am working :shock: :lol: :D )
I don't get it. Oh well keep on swimming
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Adjusting the calendar. We have a funeral meal to provide for 100 people on Tuesday. I'll make dessert and side dish on Monday night and DH can deliver it on the way to his doctor appointment Tuesday morning. I often think of Twins doing Tetris time slots when I'm adjusting the schedule. I keep looking for a 36 hour block of time available so we can make a quick visit to DSon & family. I want to do it before the 21st (DGD7 birthday). I can fit in small things but I can't find a free time slot that big ..yet.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Updating my bullet journal would be a good, quiet, task to work on.

Dinner is done. I'm struggling to stay awake, so will nap for a little bit. I just have to get out of my recliner and have a pee break first!

Harriet's weather made our evening news.

I took an Advil so the achy has stopped. My head's still vibrating, though so I'm loving my noise cancelling headphones. One of the benefit is that my breathing sounds louder to me, so there's a bio-feedback calming effect since I focus on the breathing instead of background sounds (which are reduced or eliminated, yet I can still hear dh call out to me from the kitchen.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:36 pm

LadyM, you're doing too much.

Kathryn, you're not personally responsible for the things that didn't happen. Anyone at a meeting can be the one who thinks of items.

Sunny, it's actually great that you missed the weather event until it was over.

Meant to say two days ago that thanks to this site I was able to tell HVAC guy the exact date the unit he was working on was installed. Btw he was supposed to come back yesterday but didn't. we continue on emergency heat, which costs so much more to run. So much for the energy savings the new units were supposed to give us.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Despite the headphones, many, many sirens stirred me.

I eventually looked out the window and could see yet another truck coming and then realized the others were on the street. The building next door blocks my view of the street but our alarms weren't ringing so I guessed it was an alarm in their building.

I put on boots and jacket, grabbed my phone and keys and headed downstairs to make sure everyone could wait in our lobby (and I could send my friends upstairs to our apartment to wait.) But the elevator wasn't responding. And I could hear people in the other stairwell. So I walked down to the stairwell and opened the door. It must have been people wanting to leave to but the elevators weren't working, not that the upper floors were responding to an alarm that wasn't working on my floor.

I checked with a friend who had a better view and he could see one truck leaving so it isn't a fire. Still not sure why our elevators stopped working.

Anyway, I'm up now so will work on my bullet journal.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Kathryn, I'm glad you weren't on fire!

We had a bunch of rain from the storm also. It was steady half the afternoon but not much wind. It started about 10:30 and we were at church by then. I wore nice jeans and a Christmas shirt, not caring if that got wet. I left my Bible at home so it wouldn't get wet. Since I had the umbrella and DH always says he's ok without.. :roll: .. I got the car after services and brought it around for him.

We've been working on another project here which will be a Christmas decoration for us and we stopped at HD for wood and clear polyurethane.

It was a day of rest for sure around here. Neither of us did much of anything. Long naps. I cleared up my desk from Saturday's mail and reconciled 1 bank account...which was messed up. Dinner and dishes.

Recharged for the beginning of the week, I hope.

Return to “Post When You Can”