Sunday Surprises

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Sunday Surprises

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 am

What surprises have you encountered lately?

Do you expect you'll have some today - is something out-of-the-ordinary enough to have you on the alert?

Will you go with the flow and just gather up the unexpected into your day along with routine? :)

Harriet

Re: Sunday Surprises

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:57 am

Our household awakened to - SURPRISE - sleet on top of the snow and "wintry mix" this morning, with all the doors and windows singing the sleet song - snap, crackle, pop. So much for the idea of snow cream. lol

On alert here in case of power outage or trees down, that sort of thing.

Worship services all around our area are cancelled today. I was so relieved, frankly, about dusk yesterday, when we got our email cancelling church. In the first place it was going to be chancy-scary on the roads even with the mildest weather model, and in the second, there's such a release from pressure for me personally, since our household is deep into new-normal settling, for meds and such.

Yesterday was a day of several of the children helping us around here as we tried to think of everything that had to be handled before the storm. Dstepson got the wellhouse ready with a new heat lamp, put down new straw in the henhouse and new lightbulb under their flower-pot stand for the water. Ds went to the pharmacy for us in his 4-wheel drive and also picked up a few other things we realized we'd need. Dd picked up a package that was waiting, too. Ddil was on the phone again, talking us through changes in HRH's meds.

I had made the mail with the very last of Desk Day mailing that will be needed until about the 17th, so that's off my mind. Our own mail included a vitamin bottle and I was able to get that right into the house rather than having the bottle sit in the frozen mailbox.

Thinking of others who may be affected by weather today. I believe LadyM posted hers was definitely affecting her household.

Dee, have the unfortunate surprises from the poor fencing finally ended in your area? I was so sorry to read about the events.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:41 am

It is a strange morning here with no church service. The sun is shining brightly and the temp will get up to 46F today so our snow & ice should be gone by EOD.

When will I learn? Giving unrestricted access to screens yesterday had consequences. DS10 tics went off the scale in severity and frequency. His emotions are now fragile and volatile. He has shed several tears this morning. I know hormones are involved and I can't blame all this on too much screen time but it certainly didn't help. Thankfully DS10 responds positively to me and will calm down when I hold his hands. Needless to say......the screen restrictions are turned back on. DS10 is currently outside with dog playing in the snow.

What to do with myself today? My energy level is good and I am feeling ready to tackle something. I'm just not sure what yet. With 3 dogs, 2 kids and DH in the house, I can forget doing anything by myself or any tasks that needs more than 30 seconds of focus.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 am

I think the 'fence' saga has ended for now, Harriet. Haven't seen hide nor hair of the horses. I did see one over by the barn yesterday when the owners were there. Dsonil asked them what they were going to do about the fence & was told "It's going up in another week or so". We'll see -hopefully it's before the animals get out again. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the main drag being so close.

Just getting ready to leave for church. Dh and I are lighting the 2nd Advent Candle this morning. Had a real nice chat with our pastor yesterday at the Christmas party. I sure do like him!

Sent all 3 of our dk's a note telling them how much they mean to us this morning. Guess our young friend who was killed on the snowmobile was just going too fast -happened up around Old Forge, NY Friday night. I'm hoping for ds-A's sake that the funeral doesn't wait for next Saturday -same day as our dgd23 is getting married. Know DS would be hard put to decide where he needs to be. So, I'll be relieved once I see the arrangements. Know the fire department, of which he's Chief, will have a big part in the service(s).
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:09 am

stay safe in your weather d harriet! What wonderful children you have!!!!
Glad they cancelled church today! have a lovely peaceful day!
thank you for the wake up call! I needed your cheery post to start my day with a smile :D

hello d dee hoping the neighbours get the fence fixed soon.
have a lovely time at church
what a blessing to send your d kids messages like that. I know it means the world to them!

good morning d lady! stay safe with that weather. (((for your sweet son))) and for you as you help him through his day.

good day to all of you.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am

I have to stop by Michaels this morning. dd older and I have one more place to go to today.
going to do my planning this am before heading out. Listening to services on fb.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:14 am

Good morning!

My surprise started last night at dinner. An eye inflammation.

All my meds for that have long since expired which is a good thing. On the other hand, if I can't resolve this on my own with just lubricating eye gel and rest, then I will have a trip to the doctor at some point this week just to get a renewal on the prescriptions. Once I have the medicated drops it will clear up in a couple of days.

Already, eye one is much better but I can feel the pressure building in the second eye (despite lubricating drops in both last night and this morning. At some point, I will have to lie down and listen to my audio book with my eyes shut. And dig out my eye patch. Dd made me a mini bean bag to heat up for when I get pain (at this point it is pressure which I'd treat with ice packs, I have a special eye mask with gel inserts for that.)

The dining room is back to 'normal'. There really is no normal when I'm not expecting company, I just arrange the table as I see fit. I had it set up for 8 over the summer but have switched it back to 10 because one sounding cloth and my new, synthetic table cloth fit and the white cloth looks great with the red and green centrepiece.

The living room is also rearranged slightly to incorporate an extra chair from the dining room, my desk chair (since I have my kneeling chair out too) and the tree.

The dishwasher is emptied and everything is put away. My Christmas mugs have been pulled down but I also need to pull out my Christmas glasses, wash them and swap them out for my regular glasses. That's likely a Tuesday chore.

Today dh has a meeting after church out in the village. He'll just go for the meeting and is taking the leftover sweets from last night.

I may bake something this morning, or not.

This afternoon is the Christmas party for the apartment complex. So that will be busy although I'm not responsible for much, just set up, heating up the mulled cider and singing.

Dinner tonight is Shepherd's pie leftovers.

Tomorrow I have babysitting so I'm out of the apartment from about 10 - 2. And again on Friday although that will be shorter.

In between, aside from the theatre on Thursday night, my time is my own. At some point we need to make a decision about the Christmas newsletter and cards. They still 'loom.'

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:16 pm

I probably shouldn't attempt to look at the whole week because when I look at more than one day ahead, then I start getting overwhelmed.

This week -
** 5 days of homeschool
** 5 medical appointments (DH has 3 and I'll take DMom to her 2 appointments)
** DS10 & DGD7 piano lessons
** Christmas party for DS10 with his 4H friends (this needs prep to take things)
** DS10 winter concert (band). I hope this isn't a disaster. There are 3 homeschool bands that practice the same songs in 2 states (3 separate towns). For this winter concert, all the bands will come together & play those songs...with no practice playing together. Maybe the sheer volume will overshadow the sound of beginners playing sour notes? I hope DS10 doesn't get turned off of playing music.
** Church meal. This week we are doing pizza. Easy. Just order 18 pizzas and go pick it up. Then the normal setup/clean up.
** Preparing 50 boxes to hand out to families for their Christmas meals. Everything but the meat has been collected and is in stacks. We need to turn the cases & stacks of food into 50 family boxes.
** I'll take DS10 to his monthly Robotic meeting (2 hours)
** I'll take DS10 to STEM class
** Our town Christmas Parade and all the community activities that go with it. DS10 will be in the parade.

Hopefully I'll be able to fit in YMCA visits a couple times this week.

DD texted me that she was going to pick up another job so DGD7 will need to be here even more than she has been. Uhmmmm...I don't think that DD realizes that DGDy has been full time. What can be more than that?
1. Know what you want.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:17 pm

I am surprised the h ius wanting to learn email. :shock:
I gave him my old tablet.
Up for a couple hrs.
Had breakfast.
I have h deleting photos now. :roll: Sigh I have a thousand more. Lol,

Back from walking the dog, 41 out sunny areas have melted not so much in the shade.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I cooked meatballs & spaghetti for lunch. Then I spent a couple hours at the YMCA with DGS21, DS10 and DGD7. Then we went shopping for supplies to make kits to hand out to the homeless. We came home and I supervised the kids making the kits. DS10 is really into this project. DGD7 quickly lost interest and turned her focus to coloring & painting pictures.

My body is telling me that I am over-doing with the exercises. I am trying to start slow but I need to reduce what I am doing until I get used to it. Thankfully I haven't hurt myself, just have achy muscles. My back & legs muscles start complaining every time I try to move.
Last edited by LadyMaverick on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.

Return to “Post When You Can”