Monday All Day Long

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
helia

Re: Monday All Day Long

Postby helia » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am

Late to the day but I noticed the discussion of state puzzles -- and I had to chime in since our ds was obsessed with the state puzzle, similar to the one LadyMshowed, at age 2. He could complete it by himself at age 2 years 7 months, identify most states by their shape outside the puzzle frame. He would also take the pieces out of the puzzle frame, turn them upside down, and put them back together on a hard surface. Our friend C got him into this; I never would have considered having a 2 year old do that puzzle, but he was an amazing puzzle solver. Still is. He understood the geography to some extent; when we flew from Texas to Illinois that Christmas and ds was a few days shy of 2 years 9 months, I asked him which states we'd go through to get to IL, and he could tell me. Then, I asked about a different route -- what if we go through Oklahoma? And he could tell me the states we'd pass through on that route as well. This obsession faded, though he always liked - and still likes - puzzles, though more theoretical ones now. And he has some spatial way of thinking that I think is a bit unusual; he could do 3 digit addition and subtraction, with carrying over and borrowing, completely in his head at age 5. I asked him how he kept track of the numbers, and he said he could see them in his head.

Return to “Post When You Can”