Wednesday Workmates

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
helia

Re: Wednesday Workmates

Postby helia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Peeking in on a day when I have NOTHING on my calendar! And the sun is trying to shine, so I'm feeling pretty upbeat.
((Dee))
Kathryn, I'm very interested in archived posts. I can only see back a couple years as is, so I think I'm missing a link or something. Anyhow, if you move them, let me know! I'm not here very often anymore.
I saw that Harmony fell yesterday. I'll add my wishes to others that you're not sore today.
Oh, a granddaughter, RR! How lovely!
Yes, this site is full of workmates, Harriet! Good luck with the meds puzzle.
LadyM, take care of yourself. I LOVE lentils! We cook with tons of garlic as we like the taste.

I skimmed the posts re: nouns yesterday, and we teach that concept to our lowest students in a progression similar to what RR outlined, though teaching adult ELLs is not the same as teaching children who have grown up speaking English. For our advanced students, we work on form vs. function of nouns, specifically the use of gerunds and infinitives as nouns. That is a common problem for many ESL students. Gerund - running, as in the sentence: Running is fun! Or the noun can be an infinitive, as in "To err is human."

My challenge today is not to waste it. I have plenty of things I need to get done. It is already 11:40, and I haven't done much. The a.m. routine is almost done. . I've made a list for today, sent out a couple emails, had some qt. I think I'd like to start working on the bedding quandary for the houseful of guests that will start arriving next week. I don't know if I've enumerated it here. but our kids are all coming home. Plus, E and C from TX will be staying with us. M has already moved back in, and Ro, one of dd23's students (and a rare undergrad whom dh has employed in his lab), will spend the entire university break with us as he's from Taiwan and he can't go home for the holidays. So, we'll grow from a current household of 3 (dh, myself, M) to 9.

Here's the comings and goings in our home over the holidays. I find this amusing but the rest of you may not! LOL! :)
Monday, 12/17 Dd23 and Ro move in; I need to move M (to dd23's room or dd20's room?) so Ro and ds can stay in the room with 2 beds.
Tuesday, 12/18 (I think) dd20 flies home!
Thursday 12/20 E and C arrive
Sunday, 12/23 ds arrives
Wednesday 12/26, dd23 leaves for national religious org conference; E and C leave to visit family in Ohio
Thursday, 12/27 dd20 and Ro, both members of the same religious org, leave for the conference
Sunday, 12/30 E and C arrive again
Monday, 12/31 E and C fly home
Tuesday, 1/1 dd23, dd20, and Ro arrive home
Saturday, 1/5 We celebrate Sinter Klaas (late b/c we need 4 - 5 days beforehand for our shoe tradition; kids are still into all this.)
Sunday, 1/6 ds flies back
Monday, 1/7? Dd23 and Ro leave
Dd20 has a month off, so she'll return late in January.

I'm off to strip beds and then have some lunch.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Re:Nouns / person place or thing.... I remember the lesson not the grade or the teacher.

Laundry is going in washer twins. Journal and planning accomplished. Breakfast over took meds. Been putting off laundry counting that for anti p. Task.
I have some reading to do.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Good morning everyone! Most of what got done yesterday was make cookies for the work party and a side dish (rice) for a coworker's 20th working anniversary. I did finish and email the minutes and notes for the animal org and put away most of the LOLs on my bed. No progress on Christmas crochet. Tonight is an animal org board meeting. In honor of anti-procrastination day, I should find and order one of DD16's gifts and decide on the new color for the LR and hall.

My brother had a volcano looking growth on his hand. It even had black "lava" inside. I hope Ramblinrose has the exact same thing, because it was a harmless and easily removed wart.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:00 pm

nope Elizabeth...

Mine is a Keratocanthoma growth. May be benign, but maybe not

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoacanthoma

Pretty, ain't it :lol:

Should add the base is bigger than a dime and almost the size of a nickel, and now I have a crater where it was burn off down past my skin. My dermatologist says these growths are usually pretty painful. Mine was sore, but it itched like crazy...which in my case means it usually cancerous. No matter what, the surgery will leave a bigger divot in my arm than the one I already have from my last surgery.Some of you saw my "shark bite" on FB a while back. This will be surgery number 4. At the rate I'm going you can just start calling me Patches. Good thing I'm not vain oover this...

Oh the woes of a Surfer Girl :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm

DMom called to make sure I had her doctor appointment on my calendar for tomorrow. No Mom. I'm taking you to two doctor appointments on Friday. DMom said, "Isn't today Thursday?"

DMom sometimes gets confused but so do I. I'm not putting either one of us in the dementia category ......yet.

DGS21 called excited that he received his paycheck today and can now afford to put our old SUV in his name. He did the research on vehicle insurance and selected the one which fit him best. He obtained it and has his insurance card to give to Tax agent. He had called 2 tag agencies to get the price of transferring the vehicle from our name into his ($508). He asked if we could meet him at the tag agency during his lunch hour to transfer the vehicle. DH agreed to go meet DGS21. As DH was ready to leave I realized that DGS21 didn't say anything about researching how much it would cost to tag the vehicle. DH grabbed the checkbook just in case as he was leaving. Sure enough, DGS21 was about $130 short because the tag is due in December so Papa covered it for him. Adulting takes a lot of knowledge, planning, and practice!

The lentil soup is most excellent. I thought the jalapeno pepper & rotel would be too spicy for DS10 but he is eating a bowl of lentil soup for lunch and said it was good.

Homeschool is over for the day with the exception of practicing percussion and piano. DS10 will do that 30 minutes after lunch.

I am putting myself to bed for a couple hours this afternoon until time to get DGD7 from school. I am hoping if I give my body some extra rest that maybe the chest symptoms will get better on their own.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Wow, RRose! I'm glad you're having it taken care of.

DH has to watch. He is in the sun all the time, often works with his shirt off. :roll: He's had a couple things removed.

Kinda out of time here, much I wanted to reply to...but can't now.

Texting with DD up in Georgia, their school was delayed 2 hours because they're covered in ice. It's in the 20's. They've had 2 earthquakes in the past couple days.

Went to bank.
Returns to H D where I also looked for another gift I couldn't find. Should have asked because online it says they have it. Now I have aisle and bin number. It's in a box, I wasn't looking at boxes.

Helpmate was DH who finished our Christmas project. I put together a 39 x 27 jigsaw puzzle, picture of the wise men and Mary and Joseph and the Baby, made like an oil painting. He and I glued it to a big piece of cardboard and coated it with the puzzle stuff. The edges were not quite right so he got rough cedar wood and made a frame for it and today put it together. We had clear coated the frame. It's wonderful. I'll set it above the mantel every December.

I am doing ok. Not too much discomfort, just one knee which is a bit stiff. Thank you all for well wishes!

(LadyM) feel better.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:54 pm

d lady feel better.

I think I can finally be here and say hello as well as work! I am saying hi to all of you. Wishing you the best.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi Blessed!

Dh and I walked to the bagel shop for lunch. I walk very slowly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:14 pm

hi sweet kathryn and all!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 pm

paper work first.
I know the other stuff should come first but I need to clean off the kitchen table.

Return to “Post When You Can”