Sunday - going for a week of peace!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Sunday - going for a week of peace!

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm

We are home again. Dd came by earlier and they are coming over for supper - we'll order in pizza. She said the Rabbi suggested therapy for her, I am hoping that this suggestion will take. I told her that my therapist said she would do a referral for dd to someone who took insurance and would see her.

We went to the open house studio. Gorgeous home - this woman worked with dh a long time ago and later married a doctor. The home is right on the lake and they constructed a studio with a huge tall window wall facing the lake. We bought a small oil painting - I reminded dh that I hadn't found anything for him for Hanukkah (how hard is it to buy for someone who buys what they want?) and that if he wanted something that should be his Hanukkah gift. I can't get over having such a beautiful place to paint.

What I do for Christmas could all be done earlier, instead I always wait until the last minute myself. I need a couple of gifts, and cash for my cleaning lady and a few small things.

Do any of you have any ideas for the staff at dmom's assisted living place? I hate to slip cash to some and not all and I can't afford to do something for all. At my sister's nursing home I always took in some treats when I visited, and once on Christmas eve had a tray of subway sandwiches delivered. The food at my mother's place is really good and I see them eating it also so I hate to send sandwiches.

Yes, LadyM.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Twins: Since there's so much at this time of year, why not send a card saying on Jan, Feb and March 25, there will be a delivery for the staff room. Maybe a fruit tray, a veggie tray and a cheese tray, one per month. Make the veggie tray in Jan since people will be dieting then!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm off the treadmill now. If I do most of what I plan to do between now and bed, I'll definitely get enough steps. I managed to walk 1.8 miles on the treadmill. My computer there is dying and I can't seem to run Windows update on it. That and the antivirus need updating but neither can succeed in happening.

I rebooted numerous times (had to remember my password on it, since I couldn't remember the last time I updated that password (only digits at the end change.) Eventually I figured it out. It didn't help that the password hint was wrong!

Next up, go get the final bins for decorating. I may need dh for that.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:30 pm

You could always take desserts, Twins — even if their food is good, they would probably enjoy something out of the ordinary. Something like that is best, I think, so they can all share.
Ha! Kathryn’s idea is much healthier! :)

I truly need a peaceful week... dmom is just about ready to call a cab and go home on her own! I’ve got to get her back in her own house this week... and not wait for dbro on Saturday... and I’m just really nervous about it. She seems to be doing just fine — I’m just really anxious about letting her out of this little protective cocoon she’s in right now. I couldn’t sleep last night for worrying about her... and just thinking what MIGHT happen, what IF, etc...
And I really (selfishly) do not want anything to mess up our plans for Saturday w/dgs. Sigh.

She says I just have to come to grips with the fact that I can not control EVERYTHING. Some things are going to happen, and I just have to accept that I am not in control.
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Twins - this might too much of an odd ball idea....but what about a gift basket to be shared by the staff. It could have multiple colors of nail polish, multiple body & bath lotions, etc. They could each choose something from the basket that appeals to their taste or scent preference. I am just thinking of what "I" would like to receive. Food is at the bottom of my want-to-receive list. However, there is almost nothing from Bath & Body shop that I wouldn't love to receive. They usually have several displays of gift size lotions and gels.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm

That’s a neat idea, LadyM!
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:53 pm

I have been weaving today. Got the blue rug woven up it is still on the loom. Yea for progress.
We had some rain in the cave basement I was surprised see it had been raining out.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Drat. I guess I shared my cold germs with DGD7. She has a headache, chest congestion, and sore throat. She has one symptom that I didn't have. One of her eyes is very swollen. I've given DGD7 a warm washrag to hold on her swollen eye and she says that helps. I've given her children Mucinex for the congestion. I'll move the humidifier to her bedroom tonight. I'm not sure what else to do for her.

DD's boss at her first job gave her more hours so she quit her 2nd job. Now she is working about 60 hours a week. Tonight DD is working 8pm to 5am.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 pm

Lucylee: One concern I have is that your mom is doing so well because 1) she's getting her meds on a regular schedule and 2) she's getting regular and healthy meals. As well, 3) she has regular interaction with other people her age so is feeling less isolated. I've seen many seniors start to do exceptionally well when moved to assisted living because of the items 2 & 3 (not sure about 1.)

Remember, your mom fusses over her meds box and while she may have taken her pills on any given day, you can't be sure if she took them at the correct time (or with the correct food in her stomach.)

I'm declaring the decorating 'done.' There are empty surfaces (and stuff in boxes still) but I don't want more items out. The empty surfaces are bothering me but I'll get used to them, I'm sure.

We are heading to bed now. Dh didn't sleep well last night. That's the third night in a row. If you can't easily afford a weighted blanket, don't go without a 'need' in order to get one. They are not a panacea and you may find the money 'wasted.' I'm appreciated less leg movement so I'm sleeping better but that doesn't solve my snoring problems for him!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:48 pm

The comments about all household items are appreciated. We never know when we'll need a little expertise on an appliance or gadget, etc., and can recall that someone here had an opinion.

I have really buckled in on cards this afternoon/evening. HRH helped and Dd says she will pitch in again soon, so we are close to a TaDa and put-away.

Other ta-das I'm forgetting
Neglected to mention that I made a church bulletin board decoration of the photos I snapped before the children's event began. One of them - of 4 workers together - was so good dd asked me who took it (I am not known for taking good photos). Also got one of the lady who did the food, standing behind her pretty creations and looking so happy. Also a candid shot of the first child to arrive. I put the photos onto wrapping paper of red and white stripes. Gave physical copies to each worker.

Also got a graduation card with a-river gift card to a student friend at church.

I've pretty much told those who need to know that I won't be able to be at church next Sunday. Somehow I need to handle payroll and pickup of offering, but otherwise cannot take on more responsibility than that. I'm glad I was there today to lead. At least I got to sing some carols and contribute. Caroling at homes is out for me this year because I shouldn't ride in vehicles with groups. First time in 6 years I didn't go on any Angel Tree deliveries, which happened without me yesterday.

Dd is working on organization in her room. Took me in there to show me. (not a usual occurrence)

Return to “Post When You Can”