Saturday Social

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Saturday Social

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:05 am

Best wishes to all who may be enjoying social events!

In US, the Saturday before Christmas is the most likely day of the year for social gatherings.

That used to be the case for me, with a large in-law event. But it's changed over the years since all my family directions grew larger, with so many more criteria for when to schedule. I think I will be going out to eat at some restaurant with dd38's family and dd20 this evening. Then our larger, actual get-together will be tomorrow at 1:00 at ds' house.

Best wishes to all who may be prepping for a different day, digging out again after one, or just digging out still. ;)

Lynlee

Re: Saturday Social

Postby Lynlee » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am

Hi and hello again.
Finally managed on about 4th try to get onto wifi here. It turned out I'd forgotten my passwords so I couldn't get on by phone and I haven't worked out emails on it to check the I forget password excuse and get an email.

I didn't meet any of the forecast storms, but they were south and north of here, storm and hail warnings for my home area scrolling across the tv screen at one point.

I guess the forgotten things will creep up on me with their absence. Usually I bring a light blanket.

There is an overload on Christmas tv movies, with 2 on tonight.

tomorrow will be groceries with dd, maybe my scrooge like money only for gifts will translate into actual presents for some.

the train to buses substitution was confusing on the notice board advice, and I could get to the main station for a pick up by dsil. ( even the train driver was confused saying one thing and then another for his end train terminating stop.)
More work and barricades there at the pu point but there was a short handicapped/elderly only pu place that I decided was for me.
dgs19 is here with girlfriend often around. dgd16 is working part time 5 days a week, and volunteering another 1/2 day. dd has 3 days 'off' before back at work again.

Its Sunday already so its rather late. I'm not sure if I can get to church. I'm thinking to make family time my priority.
There are daily services at the cathedral if I go there. Often I go on boxing day - St Stephen's day.

A neighbour from down a bit has offered me lifts etc, and dd is wanting a emergency contact point and I'll phone her tomorrow to ask if that is ok. She is a nurse. I've been reluctant to ask the male who has called in twice, but doesn't want his wife to know (the lift to church will be welcome); another nextdoor neighbour who thinks bullying his dd is ok, I'd prefer some distance from him.

A few calls need to be made tomorrow. This is where I'm glad to have a mobile phone.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:51 am

Morning...

In the I plan and God laughs department, after completing my Thursday errands I had a migraine. I got everything ready for company for tomorrow and Christmas Day by last night and then woke with an nasty migraine at 2 am this morning. I downed a big dose of meds, put on my ice hat, and settled in to battle it.

Todaay is my cooking day ... NY Lindsay cheesecake and lasagna. The migraine has eased up quite a bit, so once I finish my coffee I should be good to go in an hour or so.

Last night’s sky was amazing. There was a a full moon known as the Cold Moon. What makes it special is it fell on the Winter Solstice. This won’t happen again till 2094 so I doubt I’ll be around to see it. There as a huge ring surrounding the moon at a distance. Kind of eerie, but really cool. I was able to capture it on my phone’s camera and it turned out so well I may print and frame it.

Harmony... I say ditto to all the comments that were made yesterday about how hard you work. I was married to a contractor for a long time and worked along side of my then husband like you do. I was somewhere the other day where I was watching a crew put on a new roof. I mention I used to do roofing and don’t miss lugging up 70lbs of shingles up ladders. He then told me the shingles now weigh 85lbs. I understand why you are so weary and worried abt both you and your husband’s future. I admire all that you do. Hugs!

I look charming with my ice hat on. You can google it to see what it looks like. It’s a very large flexible band that I can freeze and then wrap around my heads. My poor eyes are all puffy and almost closed so I am really looking good at the moment.

Waving to y’all. Hope all your day goes according to your plans. Off to get my second cup of coffee. It’s decaf but what I truly need is caffeine. Unfortunately my stomach won’t let that happen.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:03 am

Post and run. I treated myself to sleeping late and didn't fully process that could make for a crazy hour trying to get to temple at 11 for bar mitzvah. So I'm off to the shower, hopefully a short walk for ddog (the sun is out today! :D ) and out the door.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:10 am

Lynlee wrote:This is where I'm glad to have a mobile phone.

I've been appreciating mine a lot lately. When I was sick, there were days when I didn't power on my computer, I just glanced at the phone and dealt only with important stuff. There are 471 emails in my in-box as proof of this! I've read most of them, but on the phone so they show unread on the computer.

The series of books I've been listening to is set in the early 90's and so the detective is at a disadvantage, unable to make phone calls letting people know her changed plans. As a result, there are dozens of coincidences in each book in order for things to work out well. People spotting her car, or seeing her leave the airport on Christmas Eve (really, of all the 1000s of people coming and going, from Atlanta's airport, what are the odds you'd spot someone you didn't even know was at the airport?!)

Finally, since I listen to audio books while trying to relax at night, I have my phone in the bedroom. It is on silent from 10 - 7 meaning that it makes no notification noises nor will it ring but it means I got the email this morning when I woke up at 6:50. Dd sent one saying 'stand by' regarding today's plans (she had wanted us there for 9.)

Dgs woke up at 2 with a fever and hasn't fallen asleep since. We're staying away today due to the fever and have rebooked for tomorrow. Except I refuse to go at 9, instead I'll be there for noon since I'm missing church on Christmas Eve and Day, I want to go to Advent 4 at 10.

That means I have the whole day ahead of me. Except I'm falling asleep.

I've prepped the order at one shop (you can order online for same day pickup.) I'm s2s. I've eaten breakfast and tidied both the kitchen and bedroom. And I've updated my computer and run a cleaner program. Plus I have a list of things to do. Now, to do them!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGWYHYM-UG0
kat is doing new video's, if anyone is interested.

hello d harriet!
wishing you a lovely evening with your dd's and dd38's family!
and have a wonderful time at ds tomorrow

hello d lynlee! i have done that with my passwords!
stay safe if the weather gets bad!
I love your - making family a priority -so great!

hi d rose - hope your migraine goes and stays away. I have the same hat. love it! I bought it for dd younger but I use it too!. waving to you and wishing that migraine away for you!

hi d twins glad you slept . wishing you a nice day!

hello d kathryn! so interesting about the 90's detective story with out cell phones. I forget about how it was before.
(((sweet dgs)))) hope he feels better.

wishing everyone a blessing of a day.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Good morning, villagers ~
I'm so glad we're past the winter solstice now so the days will have more light. I forgot to go out last night to look at the full moon -- but (1) we had such gloomy overcast sky all day yesterday that I probably would not have seen the moon anyway, and (2) I was enjoying watching Christmas videos last night after supper.

I rewatched last year's Call the Midwife Christmas special, which was both heartbreaking and joyful. This year's Christmas special will air here on Tuesday night.

Then I watched the first half of an old Katharine Hepburn / Spencer Tracy film called Desk Set. Joan Blondell is a hoot. The clothes are fabulous. I was too tired to stay up until the end, though, so I'll finish watching the rest sometime today.

We don't have much planned for today. I want to do some decluttering and I'm trying to finish knitting hat #11 for charity. I have a load of laundry in the dryer. I need to make final decisions about what I'm wearing to the Christmas Eve party and make sure that outfit is in good shape. I'll call DMom to ask her what time she wants us to pick her up Monday to go over to DSis's.

Tomorrow's priority will be to make the dessert and the fudge for Christmas Eve. I know DSis and DNieces are baking lots of cookies, which lets me off the hook. ;)

Sometime this weekend a car will need to be emptied. My car does not have much in it, but if DH insists on driving his car on Christmas Eve then he will have to take the time to move everything out of his back seat and trunk. On Christmas Eve we will be transporting several boxes full of food and gifts as well as DMom with her cane and DAunt with her walker.

Monday late afternoon we will drive north to DSis's house for pot luck soup supper. I'll need to put nacho sauce in the crockpot at noon; I've already precooked the meat so the rest only needs to cook long enough to melt the cheese and blend the flavors. It always takes longer than I think it will to get ourselves ready and to load the car with all of the food and gifts.

The party in the evening will be DSis's house absolutely packed full of family, but that is much more relaxing to me than a small group. With that many people, the conversations stay light and we spend a lot of the time enjoying watching the kids and playing with them. It just occurred to me that I should find my jar of pennies and dice to take with in case anyone wants to play the penny game.

As you can see, I deliberately set very low expectations for this holiday.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:30 pm

waving at you sweet book!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Waving back at blessedw2 :)

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Yesterday I messed up and didn't drink any tea. I could tell the difference in my energy level as the day progressed. On second thought it might have just been the normal reaction to a back-to-back busy day after only sleeping for 5 hours. Regardless of the reason I went to sleep as soon as I got home even though it was only 6pm. I was DONE for the day. Thankfully DH was here and available to care for DS10 and DGD7.

Today is the start of 5 days of the holiday schedule. Our calendar is strangely bare. Only a couple of things on it for the next few days. I have been looking forward to this change.

So far today -
** Made breakfast for everyone.
** Txt & phone call from DD. DD wants DGD7 to come home. I am hoping DGD7 will get to stay with DD for a couple of days. I haven't kept count but I think DGD7 has been here 13 our of the last 14 days/nights. If DGD7 is going to stay with us most of the time I need to set her clothes up differently. I normally only keep 2-3 changes of clothes for DGD7 in the dresser in her bedroom, but she has over a dozen of outfits here and the dresser drawers are stuffed full. I need to switch to hanging them up...or some sort of different organization. I am resisting doing this because it makes what I hope is temporary feel like a more permanent situation.
** Assisted DH stuff & label the envelopes to give to the many volunteers at church.
** DMIL stopped by our home to give us a tray of homemade sweets (multiple kinds of cookies & candy)
** DSIL called to verify DMIL made it here. DSIL tracks DMIL movement and it drives DMIL & DH crazy. They both consider DSIL actions to be unnecessary and is controlling instead of assisting mode.
** DGS21 called about the pikepass status & how to destroy it. Oops I forgot to turn it off when he took our previous SUV
** Updated firmware on my main fitbit
** Troubleshoot DS10 phone. It won't connect to data usage or send pictures in text. Weird. I've tried all the settings. I suspect the sim card is corrupt. Next time we go to town I'll stop by the phone place and visit with them about it.
** LOL started in the washer. Finished putting clothes away from the last load.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”