Last Saturday of the year

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Last Saturday of the year

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Always glad for the reminder, Harmony. Am hoping to get ours done by the end of February -all depends on when we get all our 'tax' type mail here. Sometimes takes a while to be forwarded. I'm looking forward to a decent refund, SHE says hopefully. Will send a check off to our Credit Union Savings account after both the Federal & State refunds hit our BOA account down here. That should give us a good padding in our savings (once DS-A pays us back the money he owes us from 12/20 -he was very sick and needed to borrow enough to pay his state sales tax that day. Was too sick to even go to the mail box to see if they had checks they were waiting on. December/January are always tough months for them as people are too busy spending instead of paying. Sure Harmony knows what I'm talking about.)

was always a good employee and when given a task I would finish it...I always laugh that i can't do that for my home.
I resemble that remark, Blessed. I used to make out invoices for myself for certain tasks. :roll: :lol:
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Payroll cheques are done, now to deposit them and pay the withholding taxes at the bank. I also spent the time to delete or process 200 emails. My in-box is now under 900 with 323 unread messages. My goal is to get down to under 200 by next Sunday.

Now to go walking. Ramblin is 15*F here and -2*F with the wind chill. I wonder if you'd like that as much as 32*?!!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi. Really meant to post this earlier.
I got a good night's sleep and good breakfast. We seem to be ahead of the curve on handling HRH's symptoms. He cooked for himself this a.m. and is in his office now, so he must feel like working some.

Today needs to be focused on getting ready for tomorrow
the 5 x 5 includes
pre-report work
pre-statement work
writing for middle-school SS class project
but I also want to
start work on 2019 record-keeping
go over our bills

Dd has an art experiment with alcohol inks she wants me to do with her. Just a matter of dropping color-white-color-white droplets and seeing how it comes out with nothing individual except a choice of color, and serendipity. She has experience with how the ink moves; I don't have a clue. We'll see which of us ends up with something more visually interesting. The idea is to find out how much - if any - knowledge of this medium can affect a result. So, even though I'd like to think I'm a respected visiting artist, I'm more of a guinea pig with a target. lol.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Did my Journal & planning.
30 on star bike done.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Home from grocery, it seemed so slow there after the busy days of the last weeks!

Need to get groceries put away. I'm making a list as I go of where refrigerated stuff that needs to go will be...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 pm

i over did my budget today. my goal this year is not to use any credit cards.

I am loving dh's easy going nature again. I haven't seen it in a long time!

I was shopping while you were shopping d twins. happy grocery day.
hello d nancy yay on your big and planing

hello d harriet so happy you got a good night sleep. that is wonderful! so happy your dh feels good enough to work in his office!
I love ink - I am horrible at how it moves. have fun together.
lol re: guinea pig with target. lol

hello d kathryn
yay on your work! enjoy your walk even though it is freezing!

Hello d dee,
busy spending instead of paying
so true!
hope those checks start coming through.

hello d rose! I am so glad you are loving the cold weather!
so cool of what your dh did for you.
his father sounds like he was a lovely man.
yay on house being in good shape

hello d harmony, yay on your reports! yay on getting your 2019 calendar together. ambition and coffee...its the same to me!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:22 pm

took dogs out.
went to grocery store and got halibut - for the halibut.. :lol: 8-) :D
I bought shrimp for dh for new years eve. i don't care for shrimp but he loves it.
my groceries went over budget.
I stopped at office ... and bought a new printer out of the Christmas money I got. our printer died yesterday - I had hoped I could keep the money for a rainy day.

dh is going to the cleaners for me
I have to return something back to office max - I bought the wrong A5 planner.
when dh comes back with my car I will return things.

tonights dinner:
halibut with compound butter, spinach, lemon, shallots, - a nice salad (measure out)
dessert: strawberries with a dollop of fat free whip cream and no sugar chocolate syrup - 1 tbl.

can't forget my water.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm back from the walk. Went by myself as dh is very tired and wanted a nap.

Thankfully, I phoned the specialty shop before walking a few miles to it and discovered that the resusable wipes dd wants are no longer available anywhere. The company went out of business and this store has now sold off all their stock. Thankfully, dd wanted 7 packages of these wipes, so I thought to phone before going. I so seldom make phone calls but this one saved me hours.

I told dd the alternates and she's decided to go with cheapest, instead of support a local shop, so is ordering them online.

As a result, I walked in the opposite direction to another branch of the bank, and then 4 small stores, buying napkins in 3 of them, so now I have a nice selection of napkins for my hostess gift. The nicest weren't on sale (not Christmas) but the rest were bringing them down to being expensive instead of exorbitant. That's the trouble with living in a trendy area - you can get things like fancy or whimsical fine napkins but they cost $9 per package.

The walking is awful. We had rain while around 32* yesterday and it is now very cold. All puddles are sheer ice, snow on the grass is ice, wet spots are black ice. I had my grippers on myboots which did fine. I also had my poles which were useful when walking on dry sidewalks (they help take balancing strain from my knees and hips.) I dropped them at least 4 times because they slipped on the ice and flew out of my hand. Luckily, I knew it was bad in those places so wasn't relying on them for balance. On the other hand, if my feet had gone out from under me, the poles would have been useless.

I kept up a good pace and managed the whole 2 mile errand in 90 minutes, including the shopping. I'm at 7200 steps for the day and still have the pub and grocery store tonight (another 3500 steps.) Looks like I won't have to worry about making my 6K/day average this week! Today will be my first 10K step day in a very, very, long time.

The party starts in 40 minutes so I'm going to lie down for a rest now.

Blessed: I used to have cash-only Januarys when the kids were younger. When we lived in the UK for 4 months, we only could use cash (this was before on-line banking) and I found I spent much less so whenever money was flowing to fast, I'd switch to cash-only. After the excess of December, cash-only was the rule until I started doing the Holiday Grand Plan. Because that spread all the spending over 4 months, instead of one, the December excess stopped and I didn't need to do cash-only any more.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:28 pm

thank you d kathryn! nice to hear it worked for you!!!
glad you had a nice walk
I love the towns near the lake but find the same thing re: price. There is beautiful product but my goodness it's not cheap.
Have a nice rest.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Kathryn... I’m weird, unlike others I love the cold. When I was a kid I skated a n the pond up the road from me while temps were in the teens and twenties. Also skated for n the river when it froze and shared the ice with the ice boats.

My friends and I would swipe a sheet from her moms closet. Tie knots on all four corners. Then the two of us would hold two corners and set sail. Man would we fly! Loved walking around my neighborhood during my blizzards but my mom didn’t care much for me doing that. When I could drive I would head to the ocean abt 4 miles from my house to watch it in all its fury while it snowed. Only wish I had a camera back then.

Loved sledding down the hill behind my house. My mother would stuff newspaper directly wn my boots to keep the snow out and we stayed out till it got dark. In my twenties I hiked the Appalachian Trail in early spring and late fall cause most people didn’t ... usually with snow on the ground.

For many years my father duck hunted in the rivers around my home using a boat to access the islands. Used waiters to set up his decoys and seldom wore gloves even if his hands got wet. My brother is the same way with his sons looking on in disbelief as he shovels tons of snow with no gloves.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”