Last Sunday of the year

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: Last Sunday of the year

Postby CathyS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi!

Decided to go to a large bookstore chain to spend some of my Christmas gift card. Came home with The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning. It's a good book so far. I also bought Decluttering at the speed of life. Looks good, but I'm still reading the other one.

It's been such a weird day around here. It didn't help that I actually slept until 10:30. I got up to use the washroom (we only have one) and went back and got into bed.

Tonight dh had chili that he made. He likes it to be really spicy, so I said I would fend for myself. Tostitos, salami, toast, chili sauce, a Samosa and an Appelflappen. (Traditional Dutch New Years treat which is kind of similar to an apple fritter, but there is a complete slice of apple inside.)

We live in an area that has a LOT of Dutch people. Every year there are 2 bakeries that put out big signs saying to preorder your Oliebollen and Appelflappen. I bought both yesterday. An Oliebollen is what most people going into any donut shop would call a Dutchie. Plain dough deep fried with a few raisins. Told dh I can buy both of these things at Tim Hortons for a lot less than what I paid.

I have started what is becoming an annual event here. Take everything out of the closets and turn the hangers. I actually bought clothes this year. Only one thing had any black on it. When I was with the x, almost every piece of clothes I had was black and over sized. I wear tighter clothes these days and lots of colour. Lots of turquoise in my current wardrobe!! I tossed 4 bras that have never fit properly. I might go to Penningtons and get 2 bras tomorrow.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm

We are traveling home. ETA is 2 more hours of driving. The I-40 interstate that runs across US is normally full of semi trucks. It seems strange to have a greatly reduced amount of trucks. The car traffic is very heavy with what I assume to be holiday traffic. Almost no one is obeying the speed limit. I started out with the cruise set 5 Mph over the spped limit but soon realized how dangerous that was. I decided to just go with the flow of traffic which was 10-15mph over the speed limit. I saw several highway patrol but they didn't seem to be pulling cars over for speeding.

Time spent together today went as smoothly as yesterday. I am thankful.

Now I need to turn my focus to EOY tasks.

We will resume light schedule tomorrow. Just a couple hours of homeschool.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm exhausted but most everything is done. The dishwasher just ended.

Dh is washing up the crock pot for me (he had to decant the mulled cider from it because it was too heavy for me. We have way too much of the stuff but there's some for tomorrow's brunch and some for tomorrow night at dd's.

Dinner reservations have been made. We need to be there at 5:30 sharp since they have a busy night. They have entertainment later in the evening but we'll be long gone by then.

Dd was coming back over here with dgs tomorrow for brunch because she hated to miss out. But common sense returned once she got home and put dgs to bed. Today she napped with dgs and felt better for it so she'll do the same tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to stay up until midnight. I may simply not make it.

Ds and the gf will be back here for about 10:30 a.m. Ds is bringing laundry.

Dinner went well but I ruined the gravy. My fault, I subbed olive oil for the shortening on the potatoes and the remaining oil couldn't take the higher temperature when I went to make the gravy and became bitter.

The cake is great but way too rich. We'll take some with us for tomorrow but the rest will be frozen.

I need to remake the table, I had set it up for 10 but we're back to 8. Just the high chair needs removal.

I have to be out of here to the gym around 7:30 and then stop at a store on the way home to get milk and chips. Hopefully I don't need anything else.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 pm

H has work or by part for the morning tomorrow just the guys. So I will have the house then.
I will need to do some on the home blessing as I did not do it all Fri.
I will need to get ready for tras h day.
Glad I spiffed up the kitchen yea me!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:53 am

bus to town.

discount store - bought blank cards to send to family with seasons greetings. Oh no there were no Christmas cards left. Also bought gift for dsis, who I see on Wednesday.

support group was me and the facilitator.
2nd discount store - bought calf length yoga pants. storewide 50% off was a nice touch.

the hungries had me, plus saw folk at coffee shop I know. It was my 1st time to eat there.
Lemon and ginger tea, plus Jaffa cake decadently with cream. Talked to the couple I know, and pulled the train timetable out of my shopping cart back pocket (it lives in there.) to write down the variations of train times that could suit them tomorrow. They have the stress of using a ticket gift received last year, last day tomorrow. Tennis it is. The railway station had given them a timetable, but it can be a bit bamboozling when you don't know what you are reading. Plus they have an extra way to go to get to their dd's place and the tennis. My guess was a extra 30 min at least, but no need to change trains which is good.. they are facing at least 5 hrs in trains, plus the ?4 hours at the tennis. It would wilt many, let alone folk as old as they are...
Part of me says - I thought the Perth Hoffman Cup was still happening. Brisbane is happening as well?

groceries. I was lucky a taxi came along and I didn't have the hassle of hauling the cart back from a bus stop. It was a 2 hand load to pull behind me.
unpacked shopping.
washing in and away.

wisdom would have me writing to family next. I think I have 80 min then need to walk to post the letters/cards.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”