Tuesday Fresh Start New Year

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Sunny

Re: Tuesday Fresh Start New Year

Postby Sunny » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Hello and Happy New Year!

I woke up earlier than the alarm this morning, dh slept in again. We had breakfast and got morning routines done so we could relax and enjoy the rest of the day. Right now we are watching the Rose Parade. The floats are beautiful, as always, and the bands are great. But I always love watching the horses!

Wishing everyone a healthy, peaceful and wonderful new year!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:52 pm

hello sunny too!

okay: before I do anything else: morning routine and it's almost noon!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello and Happy New Year to the Village!

The first of 2019 Monthly Threads are up and opportunities abound for inspiration and encouragement (opportunities to give and get both of those!).

The young man visited this a.m. and we enjoyed him. He had stories to tell from his holiday travels and about continuing new adventures (dismay? :) ) in adulting. He and dd have gone to his parents' house now for a traditional meal.

In our village, I've certainly enjoyed the very thoughtful and insightful posts, as well as the very practical and functional. A new year start seems to bring out the best of both, doesn't it?

We were up a little later last evening than we meant to be, but enjoyed ourselves. Dstepson had a board game marathon at his house and dd was over there late, so we waited until he brought her home. I am another who heard some strangely ballistic sounds among the fireworks last evening at a distance ... hmmm. At least the fireworks were a change from the coyotes, who have been spine-tingling some evenings - wonder what they thought of it.

My cardfile has had attention with new cards and some filing. I need to get onto some further planning and see "where I am" with some hopes for the year. 8x11.5 full pages need a specific home for this year that's easy to see and grab.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm

I took down the old calendar and am in the process of removing Dec. 2018 pages from Happy Planners.
My system is under a major overhaul. I am considering punching my vod cards to go on disks or in a planner card file is full. Also writing those and quotes in my Happy Planner. Got the cover page art done on my writing diary & reflections journal. That is staying the same. My lists are basically the same for routines and bwp & home blessing. I made a new tracker for my bujo to fill in knitting crochet weaving & reading progress. I have a good words list to practice my hand lettering. I need to add art to my dream big planner. I have quadrants for goals body, mind, soul, spirt, in my new bujo. Review things went pretty well most of the year, got decluttered bc house was on the market, then SHTF [Sh-- Hit The Fan] in Dec.

H has started a pocket sized health tracker log in a planner from his work.
He tracks his hours as well.

It is trash day got that to the curb and bad.
B.s. was in ack - land for me so I have only had coffee & tea.
Posting from stat bike now.
Cooked up boiled eggs.
Planned meals.
Gave away in fudge to the crew at his work ny party.
Spot mop kit. X
Meal plan sloppy Joes 4 lunch.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:33 pm

Aren't all turkeys male/Toms?

I don't know the answer but I find myself mulling over the possibilities. I always assumed they were hens (female). This assumption comes from dealing with cattle. We don't eat male cows (bulls) unless they have been neutered because bulls are typically tough and not tasty. I just assumed they don't neuter turkeys....but maybe they do. I've never seen it done. Hum.....

Homeschool is done. We had several good-hearted laughs during lessons. We were both being a bit silly.

Lunch is hamburgers, french fries, chips & salsa, and fried okra. The air fryer gets a good workout for this type of meal.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:02 pm

turkeys according to the extension they are both male and female.
"46 million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving, 22 million on Christmas and 19 million turkeys on Easter. In 2011, 736 million pounds of turkey were consumed in the United States."

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:06 pm

today is disappearing fast! :shock:
kitchen dishes emptied from last night
compost out
counters cleaned
sink cleaned
cleaned off rolling cart (wood top)
got rid of any food that is ready to go. not much.
I know what I am making for dinner - but will I ;) 8-)
hi d lady
hi d nancy
hi d harriet
hi d sunny
hi d cathy
hi d kathryn
hi d dee
hi d rose
hi d harmony
i will check to see everyone! hello.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info on turkeys. I know that there is a chick processing facility near where I live. My dh knows guys that work there and he said he could get me a job there with no problem. The problem, as far as I could see it was that the job entailed grabbing a chick, flipping it over to see if it was a male or a female, and then the male chicks get destroyed. I did NOT want to have to do that. I know that everything with a heartbeat eventually dies, but I didn't want to be involved. I was going to say that everything dies, but I don't think weeds do. I know they are very hard to kill.

Closet is looking very nice right now. Lots of bright colours. I actually tried on all the black stuff (AKA funeral wardrobe) and tossed 2 tops from that section. I keep all the black stuff in 2 "suit" bags at the very back of my closet. The stuff is there, but not in my face when I am getting dressed in the morning.)

So far I have made the cranberry sauce. House smells heavenly.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Happy New Year!
Thanks to the folks who put up the January threads. They are cheerful greetings to everyone entering the site.

I'm not getting any cleaning done, still fighting this stupid cold. :x Need to kick it before I go back to work at the library on Thursday.

Today's 5 by bedtime in snail mode =
* go to the post office to check our box, mainly to get a few minutes outside in fresh air in spite of freezing temps
* take trash & recycling to the outside bins
* 1 or 2 loads of laundry
* make chili for supper
* brain is too fuzzy to think of a 5th task, maybe just s2s will be enough?

stupid cold :P phooey!

Oh, I did watch some cute kitten videos this morning. It's always a good thing to start a new year with cute kitten videos. :D

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:38 pm

We are home from our little trip.....
but certainly not physically or mentally ready for a fresh start.
(a la Kathryn)

I feel almost like I missed the starting line for the New year somehow. We certainly celebrated last night, although we made a decision to celebrate the New Year on Eastern time, not Central where we were. We overindulged: appetizers, drinks, dinner of steak, mushroom bourguignon, baked sweet potatoes, salad, wine, then birthday cake and champagne. I kept hydrated but hate to ck the scale. (Since I usually weigh in the a.m. first thing, I'll wait until tomorrow for that reckoning.)

I'd like to feel all "fresh start" today but I think I want a nap. We will have leftovers for our supper. We have soup, steak and lamb and should add veggies.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Post When You Can”