First Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: First Friday

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:16 pm

I spent 2 hours at the Y and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have missed going to the Y over the past week and have been looking forward to getting back to it. I need to get better at putting me first. I struggle with doing this. It is costly timewise because it takes 3 hours out of my day (1 hr travel + 2 hours at Y). However, I think it is worth it because I feel energized by it and am in a much better state of mind. Thankfully DH is good about encouraging me to take the time and just do it.

I brought home a huge green salad with grilled chicken from my favorite drive-in. They have the best fresh salads. DH and the kids wanted fried foods. I wasn't tempted by their food selection.

DH and DD teamed up to get her a vehicle this afternoon. DD has been driving xDSIL pickup but he brought it into their marriage and wanted to keep it in the divorce. That left her with no vehicle. There is no public transportation here so having a vehicle is absolutely necessary.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Well, y'all can see I am NOT doing very well with this new PLAN. * sheesh *
The reason I suspect Y'ALL suspect that, is because I just noticed I have not posted at all during the last two days. Good gracious.
I don't know where my time goes...

A lot of it goes to the dgrands. But that is NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER b/c there's LadyM with two little ones underfoot almost 24/7...
* shaking my head *
A lot of time has gone to reading my new books -- first it was Reese Witherspoon's Whiskey in a Teacup. Last night it was Luckiest Girl Alive. It's supposed to be on the Gone Girl genre, you know, surprise twists/etc... It is a page-turner, but I don't know if I would recommend it to others or not, b/c it's kinda trashy. I don't want to give away any spoilers -- I think Reese Witherspoon has optioned it for a movie -- but there are some pretty wild high school "parties," to put it extremely mildly, and things are described pretty graphically. Plus there is some graphic violence. It flashes back from the girl's high school life to her adult life.

Anyway. I'm not staying away because I'm so busy checking off those new habits and goals on my list. I'm just kinda treading water here.
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 pm

My struggle to learn what to take to the Y continues. Today I split my things into a dry bag and a wet bag. I had been putting everything into one bag but it was not working well. I do like the two bags better. I also tested using aqua socksfor the first time. I wore them in the swimming pool, the spa, the sauna and in the shower. I give them a 10 out of 10 rating. I liked everything about using them.

I need to solve my gym towel requirement. I can use towels the gym provide for a small fee ($3 a month) but I was turned off of that idea the very first day I went and I saw a guy blow his nose into one of the gym towels. That GROSSED me out to think about using their towels. I am currently using a beach towel that belongs to the kids. I think it is time that I give up the Buzz Lightyear towel and get one of my own. I want a towel that is large enough to wrap around me when I get out of the shower but I also want the towel to fold as small as possible. I am leaning toward a microfiber towel. I wish I could see one in person before buying it. That seems like a lot of $ for a towel but I so rarely buy this type of things that I'm sorta clueless.
1. Know what you want.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:24 pm

I guess I'm being a little overly-ambitious. I mean, Flylady talks about concentrating on ONE habit a month. The trouble is there is just SOOOO SOOOO much I want to DO to improve myself.
I guess I should really pay attention to that "top three" for each day in my new planner.
Today -- my top three would be
1. Clean bathrooms
2. Transfer photos from phone and camera to computer
3. Exercise

I will try to get those done in the next few hours :shock: plus s/s the kitchen... then I can go back to my trashy book, right?
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Dd20 is modest, almost to the point of skimping the truth. I actually fussed at her about it at her work today, while we measured for the office supply store trip.

Her "cubicle" is gorgeous and large, with triple windows to the high ceilings, spacious wrap-around desk. I don't really think it's called a cubicle by others. True, there's one wall that isn't there, so maybe it fits the definition. There is a temporary nameplate waiting for permanent, that says "Art Gallery Coordinator". I questioned this, wondering if she shares with someone. Turns out that's her actual new title, which she forgot to mention at home. Her "closet" is actually a supply room more like 20x20. Art posters line and the walls up to second story. While we were there the building manager came to her looking for a screwdriver. That's one thing her organizing yesterday didn't uncover, so we made a note of that. She says she imagines they did have some once, but they've been carried off to other parts of the building already, so she made another note to sharpie-identify all their tools soon.

Enjoyed the office supply place - I always do. I found the perfect 3-ring binder for my 2019 basic household and health stuff. She found lots of drawer organization, color whiteboard, push pins. I resisted felt pens, she resisted calendars.

At pet supply while she bought refrigerated food for Axel, I looked through the cat litter liners and chose one dstepdil recommended. I'm in charge of this for the first time in my life. HRH has always done it, but we decided right now it's best to switch that duty.

Back home, I finally had stamps for the stack of church mail and that whole chore is done, done. P. O. literally had nothing left but the Peace Rose stamps (the fellow held his hands up empty otherwise and the lady at the next register had nothing!), but for my purposes that was fine.

HRH continued his streak of energy and went to the healthy foods store and bought five things by himself. He is actively teasing us about the "Tidying Up" show. The recliner had been difficult to close lately for all of us, but suddenly stopped that. It worked perfectly for him this evening. He said, "I must have communicated my desires to my house". :|

((blessed)) hugs for sudden loss of sweet memory-items. Thinking of your dear dog and hoping for less pain.

Lynlee, I remember the tip from someone (a man dr - maybe Barnard) who said the alarm time we need to set may not be the one for morning, but the one for a certain period of time before our desired bedtime. Just enough before, to do the required things before bed, with a little extra to set aside the tasks we were doing. Also, of course, your posts reminded me of having enough time between supper and sleep to ward off acid reflux. I often think of you when I am either surprisingly prepared for bedtime or surprisingly unprepared, lol. I know you've done a lot of work toward this.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:17 pm

there is just SOOOO SOOOO much I want to DO to improve myself.

IKWYM! I struggle with this too. I used the inspiration from Harriet & RunKitty to develop the daily Healthy Habits that I am checking off when accomplished. I have many that I want to add but am forcing myself to only add one new habit each month. I am keeping a list of habits that I want to work on.
1. Know what you want.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Lady M - an old camping trick is to dry yourself first with a large chux (woven cleaning cloth) (or a microfiber towel) and have a larger towel that stays dry for a secondary warm up, and you can wrap yourself in. In a pinch it was an extra blanket. ( The chux dried quickly overnight, and the towel was dry to go back in your suitcase/bag for the next day's travelling.)
Towels with velour on one side are often more light weight. I use one velor side down on my yoga mat as it seems to stay in place better. The velor side is not so great for drying yourself.
Here they are selling 'Turkish towels' that are made of woven cotton, as opposed to towelling.

Lucy lee - my 'new task of to dos' are either tiny tiny (someting into a bin or put away, or a spill tidied) or a weed pulled (one will do) or they are old habits I used to have covered, but lost along the way and I want tem back. I'm attempting to be flexible with those 2 as well (daily readings and walking) so there is no compunction to do the longer amount, which is nice if I do it but I'm prepared to comprimise if I want/need to.
The tiny habits pro guru suggested 5 for 5 days to see if you could and would do them, and they were tiny things that counted - looking at the sky, putting the toothpaste on the brush, putting on gym shoes, flossing one tooth, putting out the supplement that you wanted to remember to take, etc, and you had to give yourself a cheer as you did that little thing. Even though there was a further along target, like all the teeth being flossed, or going for the walk, success was doing the first part.
Can you reframe what you want to do into a more easily done target?
I know FL's one new habit a month did work for me too when I actually did it,
well except for the declutter 15' thing. I was never good at that. Then I read that when FL actually did her first declutter Feb month the target was to pick up 2 things in her bedroom and deal with them. Eventually she got to the 15min deal. I need to start small too, and hopefully work up from there. I used to do a takr 5 (things and deal with them) and that was helpful.

I need to get my day going some more.
next is lunch.
I have other things on the 4.l*st.
I'm not admitting to them yet, but if I have lunch I can do something else.

Harriet - so true about the bed time prep. In my former time attending to this 9.30 was the time to have the rest of the house closed up, and be heading down to bathe and daily review. I used do a heap of journaling then as well. which I'm not really doing atm. I am seeing the rest -evening meals, dishes need to be started way earlier. I'm hoping to find a shadowy gardening outdoor spot soon so that can be done sooner rather than later.

Congratulations to the Mother of the talented ArtGalleryCoordinator who wished to be nameless in her cubicle. Perhaps organisational skills will come home with her.

When I'm doing my morning readings and responsive prayer writing I'm hoping to communicate my desires to myself, and to allow a changing future. I liked HRH's line re recliner.

now. must poof.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:06 pm

I felt puny in the morning, better later in the day. Walked the dog. I got the edging on the knit prayer shawl.
We had dinner. Dishes are done.
I have laundry going one of two loads in now.
Got two letters ready to mail.
Cleared off the table my planning stuff was on it.
Dusted a bit in the basement & put away a stray Christmas decoration.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 pm

LadyM: re:microfibre towels.

Ds has one. He bought it for backpacking in Australia and test ran it here a few times when he'd go away for a few days with just what he hoped to take to Australia to get a feel for what he needed and didn't need.

On one of the first trips, there was an accident at the side of the road and he grabbed his first aid kit from the car and the towel to use as a blanket in case of shock. The EMT arrived and they used ds to help carry the person up the side of the deep diitch (his ski hill experience with transporting someone on a backboard meant they wanted him there.)

While they tended in the ditch the police tried to get ds to move along but the EMT spoke up. When they got up to ambulance, the police again insisted he move along. He had to speak up and say he needed his towel back. The police mockingly asked if it was a special towel and ds had to say, yes, it cost over $50 and I can't afford to lose it. The EMTs laughed and handed it back to him immediately.

He loves the towel and still uses it for camping and travel. It is now over 5 years old and he machine washes and dries it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 pm

I finished Tidying Up tonight. The last episode raised an interesting question since the two people in the couple could wear each others things, they had yours/mine/ours clothes and that complicated the organizing.

I spent time this evening trying to organize my large not-daily-used cooking utensil drawer (wooden spoons, whisks, meat fork, pot strainer, spatulas) but made no progress. It remains a mish-mash since trying to add dividers meant less fit in the drawer. (The daily use large utensils are uprights on the counter in a pretty container.)

I then tried using my new drawer organizer in the small cooking utensil drawer (veggie peelers, skewers, measuring spoons, scrapers) and that gave me room for a bit more stuff but didn't work well so I went back to the old method. My drawers are deep so I have two utensil trays stacked one on top of the other and lift out the top one when I need something from below. At the old house, dh had created a double drawer (the top section slid back) but this is a rental so I can't do that here.

So the two utensil drawers are cleaned and tidied but no more effectively organized.

Then I moved to the cutlery drawer and organized it by building a specific divider for the misc stuff in it. My drawer over there is so deep I store the cutlery in an old dishwasher cutlery stand, upright. But at the back I keep steak knives and chopsticks so they are now organized.

The plastic bag drawer was tidied but no big changes, same with the tin-foil/plastic-wrap drawer.

Then I tidied my plastic storage containers drawer and the drawer with my kid dishes. I got a new cup for dgs today (special design that doesn't spill.) I had saved an old sippy cup but dgs didn't know how to use it since he always had the no spill so wouldn't keep my cup upright. It sprinkled instead of spilled but that still made a mess. Now that is solved for him and the next child.

So progress has been made in the kitchen. I also did the clear off kitchen table challenge from Declutter 365 but that just meant to clean the surface and remove 3 pieces of paper. That stays clear for some reason here, unlike the dining room table. Actually, I guess the reason is I use the dining table and dh uses the kitchen table!

Return to “Post When You Can”