Simple First Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Simple First Saturday

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:53 pm

I have finished watching Australia based show McLeod's Daughters and enjoyed it all the way through. They kept it interesting through the 8 seasons by killing off the main characters. Most shows keep the main characters so when they get into dangerous situations you know they will come out okay. Not so with this show. Some didn't die but they moved away which had the same result of not being in future episodes. I like watching this show for a peek into living life in the Australia countryside and to hear their accent and manner of speaking.

Now I'm going to switch continents and watch a show based in Africa called Wild at Heart. It is also 8 seasons long on A-river.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:15 pm

LadyM: when the characters moved away, did they move to Western Australia (WA)? My friend in Perth was explaining how the 'East Coast Elite' disdane WA as too far away to be treated as an equal. He gave two examples, the first was that for a traveling government committee made up of representatives from all states, the reps didn't want WA to host because it was too far to travel (yet the WA reps had to travel to all the meetings from the other states.)

The second example was that on serial TV shows, often, instead of killing off a character, they'd have them move to WA and, because it is so distant, the fact that no-one in the story ever hears from the person again is self-evident! So I was wondering it that plot device was used in the show you watched!

Update on my kitchen organizing: the linens are all organized. As I thought, I only tossed one item. I nearly tossed two pinafore style aprons and then realized dgs will be able to use them in a year or two (he's too short now, unless I remake it, which I might.)

All the kitchen linens fit into one oversized drawer and I used boxes to subdivide the space (i.e decent dishcloths are in one spot and the ones that can be used for washing up mud off boots is in another section.) I went over the 'map' of the drawer with dh so he knows what's what.

All he really needs to know is where rags are for cleaning the balcony and where the bundles of kitchen linens are. I keep napkins, floor rag, dishcloth, dish towel, wiping towel and hand towels in bundles so changing the kitchen lines is as easy as grabbing a bundle and putting the contents away (while simultaneously putting the dirty items into the laundry basket on the washer.)

Now to s2s for the day. Still haven't done that!

My Ov-Gloves are soaking in the sink cleaning now.

I'm 58 years old yet it never occurred to me that I could wash them. Sometimes I can't believe what pieces of knowledge I don't have.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:56 pm

I stayed in bed till 7:30
I have 2nd load in the wash, sheets are in the dryer.
rounded up yarn crafts & rocks to go.
Struggling. & planning done.
Journaling & breakfast still to do.

Waving to all.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Saw Harriet's 5x5 and was inspired. So I made my own 5x5. Later realized I really needed to make it 6x6. So, have completed 4 and a few other things. Have dishes yet to do -but want to wait until everyone warms up their leftovers from Chili's last night. And I have "spend an hour on Annual Reports". So have that to do as well. The other 4 are done. Just finished my lunch, dd's eating hers and dh is warming his -that leaves dsonil (and who knows when he'll wander in from the shed to do his lunch.) Maybe I'll read for a little bit. Dh/dd are going to the Solar Bears Game later this afternoon. Then she has another one tomorrow afternoon -dh will go with her to that one too. I'll be going to church. I hate that ride to/from Orlando! Harmony knows the reason for that!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Hello. I am simply getting laundry caught up today.

1st LOL hanging up. 2nd LOL washing after I scrubbed and pre-soaked DH's dress shirts. I went through his closet today and pulled a lot of things out for attention. Then I pre-soaked and scrubbed at spots on a set of sheets. DH with his blood thinner medicine..he makes a mess of the sheets in no time flat and I have a hard time keeping them all clean. I do the best I can. Every time he goes out to work he gets a cut or scrape and it doesn't take much of anything, and seems to be a long while to heal over. He helped me put clean sheets on the bed.

In between all this I am working on the receipts on my desk. I've read the first chapter in my book. Done dailies. S2Rollers. Hard to get them in with this short hair!

Wishing everybody fun tonight at your get-togethers and birthday parties. I'm glad to stay home and get these things done around the house. 2 more LOL to go, both get hung up.

Dee, I certainly do! It seems every time we go up there it's worse.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:38 pm

quick hi --- ~~~~ waving

hello d harmony, d dee, d nancy, d kathryn, d lady and all!

christmas is ready to put in the closet.
darks in dryer
kitchen routine done.
flip flopped laundry
watched a webinar on finances and savings/credit etc. interesting.
ate a veggie omelette for lunch and clean up is done.
feeling hangry - my goodness. eating healthy makes me hangry lol 8-) ;) cleaning house makes me cranky... lol all things that need adult responsibility (all except dh and dkids) make me cranky - I don't know why but I find a lot of humour in this. it's amazing how the little kid in me always wants to cause a ruckus so i don't do the work. :lol: I find this part of my personality so interesting. :D
made an appointment with apple to get my phone fixed.

time for shower to shoes.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:43 pm

RE: Australian show - most of the characters moved to Venezuela and Africa to run large cattle ranches and teach. The show was based in the south part of Australia. I loved the relatively flat open land. I enjoyed their way of speaking and their never-give-up attitude. I can see how this show would not be popular with some and probably inflame many with their blunt real-to-life ways.

Apple Betty and cornbread are finished and are cooling. I made the Apple Betty with no flour and no sugar. It smells wonderful but I made up the recipe so there is no telling how it will taste. I started by chopping up 9 apples (2 different varieties) and just went from there. I do this type of cooking all the time, but when I'm taking a dish somewhere else I prefer to follow a recipe. OHs well.... The meat and root vegetables are simmering. I'll add the other vegetables to the pot in a little bit.
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm still in my pyjamas.

That's the sum total of my update.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Everything has been added to the soup (8 vegetables). Now it just needs to cook on low for a bit. I have packaged the other 2 dishes for travel and have gathered the serving utensils.

One of my healthy habits is to move 250 steps every hour for at least 6 hours a day. This sounds so easy but I am finding it a challenge. I was cooking for an hour on my feet non-stop and only reached 90 steps. When I am homeschooling I almost never reach the 250 step goal even though I am engaged and spend most of that time on my feet. I have discovered that a quick lap around the driveway each hour will reach the hourly step goal. It gets my heart pumping and takes less than 3 minutes. But actually doing it each hour is the challenge.
1. Know what you want.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Agree. it can be a challenge! But! You inspired me to go out and take that 250 steps, which turned into a little over 1,300. Alright! I can do this. Probably around 12/13 minutes. I'm somewhat slow, what can I say?

Dh and dd are leaving in about a 1/2 hour for the hockey game. She actually has two jobs tonight -head of their group texted her to say he knew she could more than handle it. They're short people tonight. So she texted back, "Two jobs = double pay, right?" Although they did just get a small raise. And since they're now being paid by the Orlando Magic, their pay/perks are much better and consistent. Her parking is free ($15) and she can have as many as 3 tickets per game. Those can also be accrued. Since we normally drive she also doesn't have the gas or tolls. If the traffic doesn't look bad she goes I-4 to Orlando. If it is, she goes up through Davenport to 429 to 408 and into the Amway Center. That's where I got charged double on the 21st of December. Once by NY EZ Pass and once by FL Sunpass. Won't happen again as we have the EZ Pass in a protective bag!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Post When You Can”