Simple First Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Simple First Saturday

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:30 pm

I notice the serving utensils I had out to take were looking a bit wore. The black handles were faded. I did a search online to find recommended ways to restore the handles. It was then that I realized these are vintage utensils. They are not worth anything other than sentimental value and being excellent kitchen tools. I hadn't thought how old they were. They have been actively used almost daily for 50+ years in DMom's kitchen and then in my kitchen. I used a scrubber on the handle then polished them with cooking oil and they look brand new. I'll have to ask DMom if she remembers buying them and when.

Soup is done. I'll let it sit for a bit to cool down enough to travel easier.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Sheets are back on the bed. Last load is in the dryer.
Delivered rock and yarn crafts yea getting that out of here.
Sinus are acting up.
H is getting on my last nerve with tv loud and intense movie he snapped at me and I snapped right back ack!
He went to the basement.
I am trying to crochet the edge on the current prayer shawl.

I had lunch.
Found some mold to clean out of here on food.
Walked dog.
Painted some stones.
Had a qt.
S2s x
Pregame on now.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Yes, I'm keeping it simple around here. Not even dressed yet. I have on jeans, but they are yesterday's, and I still have on the t-shirt I slept in.
Ate breakfast and then slept some more b/c I did NOT sleep well last night.
Started worrying about dgs -- see J&C -- and pretty much worked myself into a panic attack.

BUT -- I am counting myself still working in the zone, b/c last night, after my "top three," (bathrooms, photos, and exercise) I cleaned out my 3x5 box.
I had so many repetitive things in there -- a multitude of basic weekly plans, notes to self re: getting up and getting started (like, yeah... how's that working out for me?) I threw out a bunch of notes and cards, and I still have a stack I need to go through. It looks a lot better though, and much more "workable" rather than just being more clutter on my bathroom counter/"desk."

I'm trying to do the 365 Declutter challenge each day. The last two have required very little of me -- there is NOTHING on my kitchen table except 4 placemats. DH sets the table for his breakfast each night after supper. I only have two small appliances sitting out, a toaster and a can opener, and I think dh would rebel if I tried to hide them. (I didn't check the cabinets though. There is a pizza maker that has NEVER been used that could be decluttered, but dh would probably say no on that too. It was a gift from dnephew, and it's not taking up space that is needed for anything else.)
I do need to do the kitchen linens today though.
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Oh -- happy birthday to your dmom, LadyM -- and to yours, Twins!

LadyM -- please do check out my post in J&C -- it concerns something in your area of expertise.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:46 pm

All my laundry is either folded and put away or hanging up. Just hung up the sheets. There is just 1 more LOL to do but it's not 100% full so I'll do it in a couple days. I really got behind this time.

I did some budget work. Haven't done one for quite a few years and know a lot has changed. Wanted to see where we were...and I don't like where we are but it could be worse.

DH asked if I'd like to go on a bike ride and I said no I wouldn't like to - but I would. We made it all around the neighborhood up and down all the streets. I did over 3/4 of it in 2nd gear (harder to pedal) and then when my sore knee started to complain I went back down to 1st gear. Faster pedaling but easier to push. DH likes to bike past all the houses being built around here and see their progress.

LadyM, are your utensil handles Bakelite? If they are those would be worth some money to collectors. Wood or plastic, not so much.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Sweetie and I ran errands today. I am still not 100%. Did a large grocery run at wal mart. Came home and put everything away.

Thought of Kathryn as I refilled my pantry. Happy to say the massive decluttering and reorganizing that I did in my pantry has maintained itself. I just needed to straighten things up a bit. Same can be said for all my drawers to. I do fold much of my stuff through out my house that I learned from the videos y’all have been watching. My linen closet looks like it’s ready for bed bath and beyond. Same can be said for the drawers in our bedroom.

Dinner has been planned for the next 10 days provided I stay well and I will cook enough while I am gone that Sweetie will have plenty to eat.

Right now I am watching play off football. I have a little hand sewing to do but first relax a bit and perhaps make sweetie some cookies as a reward for being so good to me these last few days.

Would like to do some walking outside myself, but my body’s not ready for that yet. I stayed up reading last night till the wee hours of the morning. The book is called The Lady of the Lakes and it is a fictional biography is Sir Walter Scott. It was quite an interesting story. Slept hard and well with the window open. Heard the coyotes singing off and on all night. I love to listen to them.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Rosie: You'll be thinking of me when you think 'kitchen' for quite a while!

Lucylee: I gave myself a sponge bath, having convinced myself that I needed to switch shower days for Tuesday so skipping today was best. That's an example of my brain not working. Tuesday is 4 days (Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue) from now so if I shower every 2nd day, and today is a shower day, then Tuesday must be a shower day.

In fact, if today is a shower day, Monday (2 days from now) is my next shower day and Tuesday will be a sponge bath day. Now I've really messed myself up and went without a shower for no good reason. I have to admit I'm a slug. Plus I have to shower 2 days in a row, now (otherwise I'm showering at dd's and I don't want to do that.)

Before showering, I moved the cooking oils off the kitchen counter. My cupboard shelves are fixed height and I thought I had no cupboard shelf tall enough for even a can of spray oil. So I have a lazy Susan on the counter beside the stove, with the oils on it (spray, olive, canola.) In fact, there is a 6" wide cupboard to the left of the of the stove and today I noted it had a very tall shelf compared the other shelves in my cupboards. Sure enough, it is tall enough for my oil bottles except the three litre one we got from Costco.

That one was almost empty so I decanted that into a disposable water bottle that I've saved from my travels (some are really interesting shapes/details) and so now the oils are off the counter. It looks weird to me. Plus I have an extra lazy Susan now.

Anyway, I had to pull out the water bottles from under the counter so while I had that basket out, I made sure I still had all the lids and decluttered out the bottles that don't give me joy. Another cupboard task done.

I started the dishwasher after finding a few more dishwasher-safe baskets that could use a good cleaning.

Then I went to take a shower but got distracted because I caught sight of the pillow dh swapped out for the fancy one I bought yesterday. He had a lousy sleep last night due to the pillow, so we know yet another style that doesn't work for him.

As Marie Kondo would say,"thank the pillow for teaching you what you don't want in a pillow and let it go." Actually, I'll probably add it to my guest bed. There are 6 pillow on there now so my guests can pick the style they like. But first I'll try it.

Dh's complaint is that any pillow I have is either too hard or too soft. This is the third one he's tried within 12 months. I've tried cheap, better quality and now expensive. I also have tried memory foam in two shapes. None work for him. Some he tolerates but none he likes.

Last night he was able to articulate that he wants support under his neck but soft under his head. One of the memory foam pillows is designed with a 'roll' and then dip but that was too hard for him.

So today I took one of the 'reject' pillows and sewed a neck support roll into it, moving as much stuffing into that area before hand stitching it shut. That means the neck roll part should stay firm but the rest of the stuffing may flatten out so his head isn't tilted up too much.

We'll see tonight how that feels to him and if I should pursue this modification further than a quick hand stitched proto-type.

I have a load of laundry on now (new pillow cases, aprons and kitchen towels.)

I guess we should head out for dinner now. That walk will be the most strenuous thing I've done all day. My step count won't likely hit 5K unless I get on the treadmill after dinner.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Oatmeal chocolate chip with walnuts are baking. Kitchen is clean except for my cookie pan. I put the cookies in a container and then hand them to Sweetie. This way he can put them somewhere out of my sight. That way they won’t call to me.

Dinner is baked chicken, rice and asparagus.

I promised friends I would have them over for dinner during the next week. He is someone I went to high school with and his wife is someone I dearly love.

In my executive wife life my d then husband was notorious for inviting his business people over for dinner at the last minute. My favorite go to meal was a beef bourguignon that everyone loved. I made it in batches and always kept some in the freezer for these occasions. The beef along with a salad and crusty bread made a fast and easy dinner.

I wanted to make this for my friends but realized I no longer had my cookbook. I looked at recipes on the net but couldn’t find anything to my liking. Then just now while working in my kitchen I remember I replaced it with a newer version of the famous red and white checked cookbook we all owned in the 60’s and 70’s. I looked up beef bourguignon in the index and low and behold there on page 490 was my tried and true recipe, with a label next to it that read...Best Loved!!!

Needless to say I am a happy camper!
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:29 pm

We owe it to our children as well as ourselves to make notes like that in our cookbooks!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:48 pm

dh and I had a lovely night

hello all. hello d kathryn, hello d rose, hi d harmony, hi d lucy, hi d nancy, hi d lady, hi d dee, (oops that's as far it goes back)
hello all.

I turned on the dish washer. worked on new printer
d young dog :cry: I am bringing her into the vets tomorrow to have her checked

good all dear ones!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”