Grateful Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Grateful Saturday

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 am

I'll tell you what I'm grateful for, and that's the clarity of understanding that the most important things in life are health, family and friends, and the time to spend on them. Kenneth Branagh

I suspect Ken in Canada will think twice about sitting on the front row, top level of his buses going forward. We are all grateful that he was on the "wrong" bus yesterday and not involved in the bus accident.

What are you grateful for today?

Prayers offered up for the families of those dead and injured yesterday in the bus crash.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Grateful Saturday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 am

Agreed. And the planned Nana Adventure (tm) of riding across town on the upper deck of a double decker is now permanently cancelled. DgsM2 rides on the lower level all the time because that's what serves their bus route. But, because of the stroller, he is never taken upstairs. My plan was for dh and I to take him without the stroller.

We've now had 9 people killed in 5 years on those buses and I can't recall a death due to accident on any of the other styles. So there is likely to be a renewal of the call to ban them. They also slide off the road into ditches at least once a year but that is when they are empty. Since that happens in rural areas the theory is they are too light when empty and are blown off the road.

Lucylee: my panic was only for about a minute. It was only when I was walking to the elevator that the worry feeling came over me. I was going to walk into the apartment in under 2 minutes but couldn't wait so pulled out my phone and saw dh had texted.

I rode up with someone whose apartment was next to the elevators and before the elevator door closed, I heard a very relieved woman say, "you made it home!" as he walked in his door.

One of the dead was standing in the station so the odds are excellent that it was someone from the neighbourhood. Names haven't been released yet. And 11 people are still in critical condition so the death toll may rise.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

I really just took yesterday off - got dh off to the airport and lollygagged the rest of the day. (Actually did some genealogy work, but it wasn't anything I was supposed to be doing... :roll: )

I have a list of stuff to make happen today - tomorrow a.m. I am flying at 8 a.m. This is a small airport and I am hoping for no travel issues with the security line at least. I fly through Chicago, and also hoping the snow is cleared there!

I am all over the place this morning. I need to get vet and dry cleaners before they close today, need to see dmom and drop off a package at the UPS store, and do a lot of things, including packing, here at home.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 am

-breakfast and meds
-s2s
-walk the dog
-make the bed
-continue with last minute laundry

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:05 am

so grateful mr. Ken is okay!!!
praying for the one (s) who lost their lives - for their families!

hello d twins and d kathryn and all!

the snow is moving into chicago. we missed the snow last night. I live NW of Chicago and we don't think we are going to get it.. 1/2 hour from O'hare. I don't know if you are using Midway or O'Hare. it's supposed to be 4" to 6" south of Chicago.

https://wgntv.com/weather/maps-and-rada ... ive-radar/ WGN/tom skilling is the big weather station for many. Best wishes!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am

I am grateful for a warm place to stay during the winter. And I'm so grateful for this little village and all of you!

DD and dsonil have left for Bradenton. He's picking up a lathe from an old friend there. Have a feeling she's putting her house up for sale this year and will be staying north. That was her '5' year plan at one point. But she's been seeing the brother of her deceased dh for quite some time now. He lives just down the road from her home up north. So, won't be surprised if that goes on the market this year either. I do have to ask her about a quilt top that was my Grandmother's -about 2 years ago. She was to have someone quilt it for me. Need to ask her before she moves away from there.

I'm waiting on my last couple of reports to come in so I can complete everything for the Annual Report. Would like to be able to email it by Tuesday morning.

Dh has decided to pressure wash the sidewalks front and back and the driveway today. We'll see how far he gets with that.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

Twins: like you I basically took yesterday off. I'm grateful for that.

Had a good sleep, 9 hours. Dh was surprised when I suggested we turn on the radio because it was 7:30!

I'm not grateful for Skype. Avast told me to update it and it appears I've broken it on my computer. Dh and I are struggling to find a solution. This is not just me, but none of the solutions I've found worked. Finally I just took what I gleaned from the failed solutions, downloaded a really old version of Skype from a downloading service (it is no longer offered from the official website) and I appear to be up. Phew!

Not that I use it but it is useful to have it running on my computer so I can run get my phone which is where I video chat with dgsM2. I've permanently turned off my camera on my laptop (not intentionally!) and so use Skype from my home. That is both better (I understand how it works) and worse (I have yet to figure out how to prop up my phone, plus the screen is small so I can't see dgsM2 well.)

I'm grateful that I have the confidence and brains to get something like this working again, even if it is sub-par.

I'm also grateful that dh will be working with me this morning on the kitchen and we'll Konmari it. I've asked for 3 hours from him so we'll do what we can in that amount of time. This is a task we have to do together because he does so much of the kitchen work. He's happy to let me set things up as I see fit, but I can't go moving things on him without him getting naturally frustrated. So we'll do this together.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 am

Morning...

Waving to y’all...

Lucylee... yesterday my friend and I were at a home and garden show. While we were eating in an open area a woman joined us. We were discussing our food choices when she told us she suffers from celeriac disease. She is wheat intolerant and can’t eat many things

When I asked how she discovered what she had she said one of the things she was doing was pulling out her eye lashes and hair. Once she was tested and adressed her problem she stopped pulling out her lashes and hair.

I immediately thought of your grandson... just wanted to pass the information along.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I am grateful that I woke up free from fever. DS10 and DGD7 are grateful that I'm not in bed anymore.

I am going to take things slow today. I am totally tired of not doing anything but I don't want to overdo and cause a set-back. Slow and steady is my motto for today.

One card at a time.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm grateful that LadyM is better too!

A.m. routine done except to continue with laundry; second load of delicates are hanging and just started next load that will mostly go to dryer. After that I still need to do a load of whites but then I'll be done. I also refilled med/vitamins and assembled toiletries as I got ready after s2s.

I need to run out now:
cleaners
UPS store
vet for dog food

I think it's too early to visit dmom - she will be getting ready for lunch, but by the time I finish those errands it might be ok to go by.

Return to “Post When You Can”