SNOWY SATURDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: SNOWY SATURDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Well, that 'little space' is true, Harriet.

Dd and dsonil are finally back from Bradenton. I figured 2:30 and looked at my phone and it was 2:31. They left about 9:15.

Just got an email from our church up home (dated about an hour ago). Church is cancelled for tomorrow. Doesn't happen often and usually it doesn't get cancelled until the morning of. Guess it's been snowing all day, even though the 'storm' itself wasn't supposed to hit until after 3 today. Know DS-A has called for crew(s) to fill in at the firehouse for the next 18-24 hours or so. Sure he's pulling his hair out trying to keep up with his business and all his 'plowers/salters' and the Fire Department. Just praying for everybody to stay safe and warm wherever that storm hits.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:29 pm

I have wondered about germs in tiny house if one person has a cold or worse how to isolate from the other(s). Some have mold bc of lack of venting.

I have last load of laundry in now.
I have had lunch.

My sis in NW Ark. Got snow today.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:19 pm

We are getting colder weather tomorrow eve. and Monday morning. We will put the fireplace back on, it really helped a few days ago.

Today DH worked because he couldn't get his favorite temp. guy until Saturday. He has a full-time job now. I don't know how permanent that job is, but I'm glad for him, he is a terrific worker. So DH picked him up and they went off to work.

I ran down to store and got stuff to make for pot luck today at church this afternoon. DH signed us up for the "PrimeTimers" group cook-out / pot luck today. Then he went off to work, forgetting all about it...so I went by myself and found friends to sit with. It was fun with several word games we played after eating.

Out in the parking lot again, my rear drivers' side tire was completely flat. As a pancake. So I got out my little air compressor and began filling it. Called DH and he was just about done working and said he'd come by. I think I could blow bubbles quicker than this air compressor makes air! Also had to kneel in the parking lot... and I had it 3/4 of the way when DH came by and he finished.

Course, once home we had to find the sharp screw and take it out and plug the hole. It was a good tire with lots of tread in it still. Always something with this old vehicle. Tires all the time needing fixed or replaced. Sheesh.

I brought a lot of my salad back home (there was a LOT of food) so that's for dinner with some fish; and I better get that started.

Stay safe and warm! LadyM, feel better. Maybe you got started doing too much too soon after the last bout?

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Just waiting for bread to finish in the bread machine. I made a new-to-us dish. Pineapple coconut cashew rice. Takes 25 minutes because it's with long grain rice. (Uncle B en's) Thankfully I had almost the amount of cashews it asked for so I didn't have to buy any. Dh and I did stop at the store on the way home earlier to get sliced meat for lunch. (Spur of the moment desire for dh and we were driving right past the store.) I grabbed a can of coconut milk and a can of crushed pineapple. We are also having some kind of curried chick pea thing that dh bought last month. Decided I could make it easily enough and add some heat to the meal to play off the sweetness of the rice. Recipe called for red curry paste and I don't have it, so it's not going into the rice dish.

Bread dinged. Now I will wait 5 minutes until I put everything on the table.

Snowplow just went southbound and another went northbound. Can't remember the last time I saw a snowplow on our road. I don't think we had enough snow last year.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 pm

At the pub for dinner. We drove from the theatre to the pub so we didn't have to walk in the cold.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Note to me

Its the 20th today.
There are 11 days left in this month,
and I'm thinking I need to attempt a rework the wanted habit that has not become an almost daily in occurrence.
I think I need to rephrase the goal or aim. Find the tiny habit/s that is /are needed to fulfil it.
Finally
I've made a 5 step tiny habit process. Some are more then 'tiny' but not so bad once started.
I'll share more If I find it helpful. And I get to be consistent at it.
Maybe I need a different sense of the how often to attend to this.
More often might seem like less work, in the long run.
And the steps would definitely be tinier if attended to as soon as required, instead of waiting for a 'build up'.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Lynlee: my housecleaning became quicker when I didn't have to move things to dust or vacuum. Not to mention, my dirty house looked cleaner than my clean house did when there were things all over the surfaces. It is amazing how much we equate clutter with dirt, even though they are two completely separate things.

Getting ready in the morning is so much faster when I lay out clothes the night before.

Loading the dishwasher is faster when you don't have to empty it first. So emptying the dishwasher is my task in the morning while my tea steeps. It takes between 3 & 5 minutes so even if I don't finish in the 4 minutes I usually steep for, my tea will still be drinkable and the time I would have spent standing around in the kitchen, looking at my phone, is put to good use.

So many small habits, do make life more smooth.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Home from the pub. It is really, really, cold out there, I'm glad to be home.

Both at the theatre and at the pub, I had to use my coat as a blanket because I cold inside.

We went to see Holmes and Watson. I do not recommend you spend money to see this film. Dh nearly left a couple of times because it was a typical Will Ferrell movie (it was his idea but he never reads reviews before going to a movie, so didn't know how much of a stinker it was.) There were a couple of lines that at least made us feel we weren't completely cheated out of our $6 ticket price (we go to a second run theatre.)

We visited at dd's for 20 minutes before hand. Dh rocked dgdJ0 for the time and I played a bit with dgsM2. Earlier today, dd reported this:

M: “M wear them on feet at the beach. Called sandals!”

Dd's thought: It’s like a Jeopardy question!

He must have overheard something about our tentative summer plans. He is already super excited to go back to a “beach hotel”

“and bring Nana’s [sand] toy! And babyJ sit in the sand and make sand castle!”

Since I'm looking at booking a cottage for a week while dh is in Africa, I've been asking the kids and dd's godparents for dates. I'll book the 3 bedroom cottage at the resort and whoever wants to come, can come.

Dh is settled in to watch a movie on Netflix, so I'll work a bit on the cash recording and see if I can finish up 2018 personal expenses.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Kathryn - My visit to both dds homes was a real show of what you wrote.

Younger had chaos of lots of kid stuff on much of the floor.
When I really looked though, there didn't seem to be the dirt underneath I expected. Toilet was spotless.
Older has dogs. hair - did I say golden retriever?. lots of dust on lots of surfaces.
I got allocated 'the table' at Christmas so decided just to keep up with that ever meal time.
It was a different type of chaos in a way.
My place has lots of chaos.

this is my plan for (hopefully) keeping up in the K in an easier way.
eat,
rinse dishes into tub (or)
washing up
empty dishdrainer
clear and shine sink

(the washing up = dish washing )
Now to see if I can do it. Consistently.
Each time I ate could be a tiny habit, if I wash things up then.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:25 pm

I found the SHE system when dd was about 7 months old. I borrowed the book from the La Leche League library (on the recommendation of one of the mothers) and read and implemented the system over the next month before I had to return the book. That was in November.

Apparently, I missed the section about tidying every night. I honestly didn't know I'd missed that section until some time in 1998 when I reread the book after joining the SHE boards.

So for those 13 years, my house was spotless, as in, you could eat on the floor under the fridge. On the other hand, things were piled all over the place, most of the time, which meant that the house never looked tidy OR clean.

Once I caught onto tidy up bit, my house looked much better. Except I started to let the cleaning slip a bit. I was too busy with other things.

Here, I'm even lazier. I could walk into the room nekkid and guests wouldn't notice because they are paying attention to the view out the window. So it is easy to let cleaning slide and let neat be my standard.

I'm hoping that with the Konmari of the apartment, tidying up will be quicker (more logical locations of possibly fewer items, making less work) and I can get back to making sure the apartment is clean.

I've finished balancing the cash and my year-end adjustments of almost everything. I still have some exploration of where some deposits came from. I'm hoping a financial statement will offer a clue. I had an idea but when I explored that, it turned out to be a dead end.

Dh has gone to bed after being sick. He's upset about wasting tonight's dinner out. I seem to be ok but will add extra vitamins to my bedtime dose. He's almost all packed for tomorrow so that's a positive. Hopefully, this is just something that will pass quickly, not a stomach flu.

Return to “Post When You Can”