SNOWY SATURDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

SNOWY SATURDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 am

Know lots of our northern SHEs will have snowy weather today. Just wishing you all a safe and stay warm weekend. Know the closing reports up home started coming in early yesterday. The college town just west of us up there cancelled any/all games for this weekend. First time I can remember the governor closing down the Thruway (route 90) to tractor trailers and buses the day before the storm was to hit. We have several friends who came down this week and know they're glad to be away for this particular storm.

Dh went to breakfast with the men from our church this morning. DD and dsonil have gone to get their new lathe in Bradenton -second try. They went last week but their jeep wasn't big enough. Borrowed a trailer today.

Dh wants me to go to the flea market today to get sunglasses. May beg off until after church tomorrow. See if he'll go for that.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ramblinrose

Re: SNOWY SATURDAY

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 am

Morning...

I am visiting my son in North Dallas and it snowed here last night. Have seen snow in over 5 years love it!
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 am

Our snow will start tonight.

It is terribly cold right now, well below 0*F.

I'm working on the Quicken entries. One month left to enter, two left to reconcile, 4 left to match chits to the statement and then shred the chits.

After this, I have to do an expense claim for the residents' association. It was worth putting it off while I did the data entry because I found 3 more chits to claim while working last night.

I have a headache so am eating my breakfast. Even the thought of looking at numbers makes me feel ill at the moment. There was a problem with the last reconciliation and even with dh's help, I still couldn't figure out what I did wrong until the third attempt at the reconciliation. I did it, was off, I read the numbers from the screen to dh and he ticked on the paper. Still off. So we switched positions and I read the numbers from the paper to him to check off on the screen and we found the problem. It was obvious to me once I knew what I'd missed but when trying to think where to look for a problem, I could come up with nothing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am

Ramblin', hope ya'll enjoy it!

Otherwise, everyone be careful out there - I think Ken in Canada is traveling, maybe others.

Our weather news is about a temp drop of 26 degrees from Sun night's low to Mon night's, so that will be an eye-opener.

I need to deep-clean in the front bathroom today. Also our towels need attention, both an extra laundry load and some organization. I'll be retiring one set, bringing one set over to different use, and washing a new set for the first time. Then will puzzle out better linen storage, too.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 am

The snow has started here. Very tiny flakes. It's windy. We have nothing on the vehicles that wasn't there last night other than the fact that dh's tailgate is covered in a thin layer of snow. There was a small drift between back door and garage, so I cleared that. Dh is out in the garage (which is heated) doing a brake job. Told me that we would take my car with snow tires on it when we take the customer's car back. His truck has Michelins, but they are all season. Bigger, heavier vehicle than my 2014 Ford Focus.

We brought in a pound of butter and a loaf of bread from the freezer in the garage last night. This morning we need to bring in a bag of milk and get it defrosted because we will need it at some point tomorrow. Lots of toilet paper in the pantry. Sounds like we are all set and no need to go to any stores today. ; )

Supper is pork chops and something else, most likely rice.

It's 19 Celcius in the living room and 17 in the pantry. I just turned on the heater in here. This room is always the coolest in the winter, but hottest in summer because it faces west.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Sounds like we are all set and no need to go to any stores today. ; )
Good for you, Cathy. Never could quite understand the 'run' on grocery stores before a storm. We always had supplies like: Toilet paper, milk, bread, eggs, water, etc and don't think we ever made that grocery run before a storm. Even here, we stand ready with staples and water. One never knows when electricity may go out and sometimes not even a storm.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:31 pm

My glove experiment did not result in the successful elimination of germs. I am sick AGAIN. Yesterday I only did what was absolutely necessary to take care of the kids. Digital babysitters were fully deployed. I slept 14 hours yesterday and would probably have slept 20 hours if I wasn't woke up repeatedly by kids and phone calls.

I started a fast yesterday at noon. I have to kick start my immune system somehow. I read where a 72 hour fast will regenerate the immune system. I don't know if I can do a 72 hour fast but I'm doing one as long as I can.

DMom went to the doctor yesterday and got a steroid shot. I am so very thankful for DNeice that is living at DMom's house with her. It has been such a blessing in countless ways.

RR - enjoy your time in N Dallas with your family! DSon lived in Plano and Frisco for about 10 years. I became well acquainted with those areas during that time.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:34 pm

We had rain in the night here, snow in the mtns.
I am done on the exercise bike.
Journaling & planning done.
Waving to everyone.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:56 pm

I feel slightly less snowed under now because I've finished the credit card data entry and reconciliation.

I had a file folder full of statements waiting reconciliation. That's now empty.

I had a plastic folder/case (it snaps shut but is meant to hold a few papers) overstuffed with credit card receipts. I had managed to organize those into envelopes by month and card, but it was too stuffed to close so I was using a paper-clamp to hold all the envelopes inside the folder. That now contains one envelop with the cash receipts (since June) for me to enter. I barely use cash so that's about 20 entries.

Once that is finished and I've reconciled all the Dec/Jan credit card bill, I'll be able to run off our budget/actual numbers and see where we over spent last year. We're over on dining/groceries by $500 but under on other items including travel. So, in general, we're under budget unless that last credit card statement holds a nasty surprise.

Now to do up the expense claim and get that to the treasurer of the residents' association. With deep apologies. And possibly flowers or a plant.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:18 pm

It has to do with space. Any studio apartment, dorm or small homes of all kinds, homes with more children than chairs at the table, many 12-wides. Anywhere the space can't accommodate storing for a longer time. People would have to "make runs" if the weather folks give dire predictions, or they just wouldn't be responsible. We had to do it in the Army - never had a place large enough to shop ahead.

THIS is one reason I simply don't believe the "tiny house" fad. I've watched those programs and often haven't believed they were honest. Teenagers supposedly able to go to school normally when there aren't enough drawers for them to have one each? Artists pretending they're fine with spouse moving them to a house with one table and a tiny closet? I suspect some shows were hiding storage/relationship with extended family or homeplaces, or maybe the family also owned studios, temp-controlled storage units, etc. We have a "tiny house" on our road, brand new and built to one of the "tiny house" plans with a small fridge, but the couple lives 15 feet from their adult child's large home, and use that house's space all the time.

((LadyM)). Do you know your vit D level - maybe check it online from dr? If not, I'd get it tested (before taking D, if you aren't already), so you'd have that answer clearly. D might not be the problem at all, and that way you'd know and could take it off the list of possibilities so you can experiment otherwise. But that is one of the reasons for winter viruses in a person who doesn't have the same situation in other months. Another is (drumroll please, for the obvious) children in school/activities. I assume no one thinks you're dealing with strep, for instance, which can be passed back and forth and drive a family c-a-r-a-z-y.

This is on my mind a lot, even though we have NO IDEA whether we've been exposed to many viruses this year - just keep trying blind, and visiting with grandchildren outdoors. I had just mentioned in Focus Cleaning thread how I appreciate my Lysol wipes these days, assuming I'm helping. Dd relies on a small plastic bottle of germ-x (or it's competition) that can hang from a carabiner clip on her backpack. When she and I are out together she will suddenly say to me, "Hold my hand!" before I know she's using it, and I'll get a dollop of the stuff from her, out of the blue, lol.

I have a half-formed personal theory that those who wear glasses may have a bit of advantage, since one avenue of entrance for viruses on one's own hand would at least be delayed. You still absentmindedly rub your eye, of course, but maybe you have an extra second to think. Touching our face is one way we get viruses - not needed, though, since they are in the air.

Return to “Post When You Can”