Tuesday Full of Surprises

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: Tuesday Full of Surprises

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

I guess I don't cope with surprises well. Mostly I just give up on what I was trying to do before the interruption. There are lots of things on a daily basis that I don't get done. You have all probably noticed when someone is coming I have a lot of things to do, and I realize it sounds like I don't keep a clean or organized house.

Bad thing is I no longer have any sense of urgency that something must get done. That was not serving me well. I have 2 things I do well consistently, my morning routine and my desk chores. It doesn't help that DH doesn't care about appearances. As long as there's something to eat and clean clothes somewhere (don't have to be folded up in drawers or hung up, a laundry basket is just fine) he's happy. Leftovers in the fridge is fine too.

I should be glad he's so laid back. Egads, you should see his shop. He keeps his papers the same and we're always looking for something. We're really not on the same page about much and that hasn't served us well over the years. I wonder what a marriage counselor would say.

He is out working. I'll admit when he is gone (unless he calls for something) it's more peaceful around here. Too bad when he's here he doesn't want to keep busy with a honey-do list.

Hmm, can we Kon-mari people who don't give us joy? :o :lol:

Ok I need to get something done. I have a huge bin of old house plans I want to go through and pare down. Lots of duplicates in there. I'd like to pitch the whole thing but you know I'm not in charge of that...

(Twins) sure sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I'm glad nobody was hurt in the accidents.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

I would reschedule anything I coyld with the winter weather in the East that seems to be the most sensible.

We have a nice surprise 50* temps in our forecast here this week and I am going to look for roses to platd and I have been thinking of garden plans some things I am allergic to and I will be digging those out this spring.

Time to get on with my day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Blessed: Breathe and give thanks for the daily routines and what parts of the BWP you can do. Remember, P&P gave us permission to skip an item 3x before we had to do it.

Dh called so I got the Christmas cards off the wall and put away while chatting with him. I had flagged that as an 'on the phone' activity. Then left them up until I remembered while I was actually on the phone. I have enough other activities to do here, I didn't need busy-work!

I've worked on the AGM stuff a little bit. Not enough but a start.

I'm dressed, bedroom and kitchen are all tidy, the load of laundry in the washer just finished, and I've done a quick PUPA on the rest of the apartment and swept up leaves from under the two large plants.

I should have vacuumed yesterday but will put that off until I'm finished in the office (that's top priority, dh is coming home tomorrow night and I have to be done by then.) I'm using the "tidy looks clean" fallacy to skip the vacuuming until there's time (probably Friday if I have the energy.) The kitchen chores are being skipped as well even though they only take 30 minutes. Maybe after the meeting tomorrow night. I'll be buzzing so could put the energy to use.

Dh had a rough time last night. Just before his presentation (remember, he was the keynote speaker) he went to make sure his slides were on the presentation computer. They weren't. The executive director of the group had decided to not let him speak because he didn't think the audience needed to hear dh's message! The person who had invited him is also on the board and was incensed and dh ended up speaking but was off his game because of this brouhaha. It is so good I'm not on this trip with dh; again, I would have needed a defense attorney! I don't understand how the exec director could allow dh to travel all the way across the continent, on his own dime, to make the presentation when he had no intention of letting dh speak.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:32 pm

:evil: :roll: , Kathryn! I'd be needing a defense attorney too!

Wonder if not doing well with surprises is a "SHE" thing?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Kathryn, I'd need a whole lot more therapy before I could do that. :lol: His WORK is the most IMPORTANT THING ever. Even in the tax season days, if a child was sick I was in charge. That's another reason that he's stressed - he planned this FL trip and he's out of the office for TWO WHOLE days. Although, I keep reminding myself that I've had this appt for a month and he did not block out the time and has left me hanging about whether he could pick me up anyway.

OTOH, I wasn't keen on it taking a lot of two days out of a three day week anyway. I'll call and cancel in a minute.

DD's car is safely at an ATL Toyota body shop, I took her to work for awhile. She needed to give the office manager the info to call the adjuster. She'll uber it home when she's ready.

I need lunch.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Putting myself on 15's to deal with this report. The financial report is a mess and doesn't balance. I know of some things not reported so need to work with the raw data to find the error. Hopefully that will be tonight.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:49 pm

The AGM stuff I can send out is written and sent. I used the previous year's report and agenda as templates. That helped along with hyperfocusing - I didn't hear my 15 minute timer going off. Two times.

Now for some lunch. I have 70 minutes until I have to leave.

I'm feeling lighter now that I've got those items sent.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Know that 'lighter' feeling, Kathryn.

Dh came home from the work group at church. He mentioned to the church clerk there that the report I do is 30 pages. People send me their reports and I redo them all and put them in a booklet. This gal was :shock: . Here everyone simply gives a short report at the meeting and that's it. Think there is a brief synopsis of the financial report handed out. Much as ours is up north for our council meetings. Used to take me well over 100 hours to do it -back in the day that first I did it by stencil and even on the commodore 64 it still meant collating everything by hand. I've managed to cut those hours by a lot, but it's still time consuming as I'm sure Harriet and Kathryn and Harmony and Elizabeth all know. Sure there's others I have missed.

Dh and I had lunch and I did up the dishes and cleaned the kitchen from last night.

I watched another "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" segment on Hallmark Movies Now while dh was gone. Know dd will like this series.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Morning...

Well yesterday’s travel was a surprise. I developed a migraine mid-morning before I had to fly. Ugh. Took half my meds as I didn’t want to be zoned out at the airport. My son had to work so I took an Uber to the airport. Migraine started back so I took the rest of my meds once I was on the plane. Took some more at bedtime and woke without one. However surprise!!! I started up with one just a while ago.

Hope I’m not in a cycle cause I have surgery on my arm tomorrow.

Kathryn, I decluttered my kitchen several months ago before the “gal” appeared. Can’t think of her name at the moment due to my migraine. Also whenever I move I set up my kitchen counters in zones and match the cabinets above them. One the counter that holds my coffee maker the cabinet above holds my mugs, cups and sugar. My spices and cooking needs sit next to my stove, and my pots are in the cabinet under that one, and the drawer on the other side of the stove hold my cooking utensils. It also holds my knife sharpener for my knives which are in the cabinet, which is under the drawer.

My dishes are closest to my dish washer. Everything has a home in my kitchen and I routinely go through all
My kitchen drawers looking for things that don’t belong there.

My biggest challenge was downsizing my teacher supplies I mean just how many pens, pencils and markers do I really need? I donated tons of supplies to a group home I know of.

One of the best conversations I had with my son this past week was about clutter. His wife buys in bulk and every nook and cranny is filled with stuff. He’s told his wife to stop buying that way... says he has 100 bars of soap!!! And they agreed to work on getting rid of much of it together.

He asked me if I was using “that gals” method of decluttering and I told him NO, I had been decluttering the “my son’s” method. He asked me what I meant by that. I told him if I held it in my hand and it wouldn’t bring my son joy after I died I pitched it. That put the biggest smile on his face. He said ..thanks Mama, I don’t need any of your things to remind me how much you love me.

Priceless, don’t you think :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Definitely, "Priceless", RR! :D We all live for those moments.

Return to “Post When You Can”